Thoughts on - THE NINJA STRIKES BACK (AKA BRUCE STRIKES BACK) (1982)

ThunderScore

ThunderScore

Though it doesn't reach the glorious heights of CHALLENGE OF THE TIGER/GYMKATA KILLER, this is still one of my favorite Bruce Le/Dick Randall collaborations... Awesome cast - Wong Cheng Li, Casanova Wong, Bolo and Harold "Oddjob" Sakata (complete with "Gold-Fingered" hand)... Don't think this has been discussed here at any length previously. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

8073691443217a482b34e337a5f7775c7b354d07.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

I think this is the only movie where you can see Hwang Jang Lee fight Bolo.

ThunderScore

Don't recall if they squared off in THE NINJA STRIKES BACK, but I do recall this altercation from CHALLENGE OF THE TIGER:

Morgoth Bauglir

Thanks. I must be thinking of Challenge of the Tiger. I don't remember much about Ninja Strikes Back.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I haven't watched this one. But your suggestions are always good, so I may check it out now.

I just remembered something I wanted to ask- and you guys and this thread may lead me to an answer... Recently someone posted a still on FB of Bolo using nunchaku. It looked like a shot from a film, not just a publicity pose, but no one there knew which film it was from. As you guys know, I'm a nunchaku fan. So if there's a movie out there with Bolo using them, I must see it! :nerd: Any idea which film this could be?

Secret Executioner

I think I saw the final fight between Bruce Le and Hwang Jang Lee on youtube. It takes place in the Colosseum in Rome, right ?

DragonClaws

I enjoyed watching this one and I'm not a big fan of Bruce Le's films. Bolo & Oddjob make a great film duo and deserved more screen time. There was nice UNCUT Widescreen print released in the U.K but I cant remember the labels name:sad:. It had one of those really poor looking covers that didn't feature images from the actual film.

kingofkungfu2002
I haven't watched this one. But your suggestions are always good, so I may check it out now.

I just remembered something I wanted to ask- and you guys and this thread may lead me to an answer... Recently someone posted a still on FB of Bolo using nunchaku. It looked like a shot from a film, not just a publicity pose, but no one there knew which film it was from. As you guys know, I'm a nunchaku fan. So if there's a movie out there with Bolo using them, I must see it! :nerd: Any idea which film this could be?

He used them in 'Fists Of Legends 2: Iron Bodyguards' Bob.

DragonClaws

b2336d4742e2773d22b0e9c2a8287dcec8d68a56.jpg

You don't want to mess around with those two. Bolo a Kung Fu Mr Universe and ex pro wrestler/weightlifter Harold Sakata. Every time Oddjob or Bolo appears in the film you get the ETD theme kick in. That score has to be the most over used track in old school Kung Fu films? or at least in Bruce Le films.

ThunderScore
Every time Oddjob or Bolo appears in the film you get the ETD theme kick in. That score has to be the most over used track in old school Kung Fu films? or at least in Bruce Le films.

In THEY CALL HIM BRUCE LEE, to say that cue is overused would be a masterpiece of understatement...

DragonClaws

e9f36a59440f783a241bee74ac4771015aee04c3.jpg

They managed to cram a lot of topless shots into Ninja Strikes Back, the above lobby card image reminded me of that. Le's character is on the beach with his girlfriend and her friends who just happen to be topless.

They managed to cram a lot of topless shots into Ninja Strikes Back, the above lobby card image reminded me of that. Le's character is on the beach with his girlfriend and her friends who just happen to be topless.

A friend of mine commented that Le's Challenge of the Tiger (which also featured Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee) probably set the record for the most nudity in an otherwise serious martial arts film. Le sure liked his exploitation.

One Armed Boxer

I recently got through watching this one, it's a highly entertaining movie.  Bruce Le, Odd Job, Hwang Jang Lee, Casanova Wong, and Bolo all in the same flick...what can go wrong?  I posted a full review which you can check out below - 

http://www.cityonfire.com/ninja-strikes-back-the-1982-aka-bruce-le-fights-back/

I recently got through watching this one, it's a highly entertaining movie.  Bruce Le, Odd Job, Hwang Jang Lee, Casanova Wong, and Bolo all in the same flick...what can go wrong?  I posted a full review which you can check out below - 

http://www.cityonfire.com/ninja-strikes-back-the-1982-aka-bruce-le-fights-back/

Nice review dude. I found this more entertaining than all the other Bruce Le titles I've watched put together.

Archived