Questions For BCI Cliff About Grindhouse Vol 3 and 4

Guest kungfusamurai

Guest kungfusamurai

I wanted to confirm the specs on these two-fers that you will be releasing in August:

Grindhouse Vol 3: Bodyguard/Sister Street Fighter

Grindhouse Vol 4: Dragon Princess/Karate Warriors

One website lists the films as ALL being 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen, but English dubbed.

Are you using remastered prints for these flicks? I know SSF was released remastered, but the other three films will be a treat to see if they are brand new transfers, and not the blurry fullscreens we've seen during the past few years.

Also, is the English-only audio track finalized, or will there possibly be a Japanese language option too?

Either way, this is really great to see these films released in widescreen.

KFS

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Robert Ian Teller

I believe volume 1 and 2 were not Samurai or MA related. One volume will have Black Candles. Which I wouldn't mind owning since it hasn't really been released properly or uncut.

Guest kungfusamurai

Yeah, 1 and 2 aren't martial arts oriented. They're just exploitation/action flicks. At least we can be thankful BCI didn't decide to pair one MA flick with a non-MA flick! :)

KFS

Guest tylerpistol

I'm kind of surprised they went with "Sister Street Fighter", considering its already been released. Oh well, these discs still look amazing.

Guest Mr Dragula
I'm kind of surprised they went with "Sister Street Fighter", considering its already been released.

Can't say i'm really surprised, just disappointed. Forces those of us to buy it again who already own it if we want The Bodyguard. Oh well, the price tag should be low enough to where there's not really much of a gripe.

these will be most likely in the $12.95 range at many places, I don't think it'll really be much of a problem.

Guest SlothStyleKungFu

In regards to the Eng dub only- I read a response from Cliff over in the DVDManiacs forums awhile back where he said that they tried but could only get the dubs.

Guest kungfusamurai

That's weird. I mean, the Japanese only offered them the video print, but not the audio portion? I thought they'd all be sold as a package? And the Japanese wouldn't have english dubs with their prints, would they?

KFS

Guest Mr Dragula

An excerpt from Cliffs interview with HK AND CULT FILM DVD NEWS. (Forum member gfanikf)

hkfilmnews.blogspot.com/2...illan.html

I’d like to offer both versions when possible, sometimes it isn’t. On the bodyguard, dragon princess and karate warriors we will be releasing the English version only. We don't have access to the original versions from the licensor and i'd have to license the film a second time to include the original version. So, the fans will be bummed that the Japanese version is not included but the u.s. licensor doesn't own those rights and i can't afford to license the film twice.

Guest cliffmac

We licensed these films from the U.S. companies that owned the rights to the films. All three were mastered from new prints or negatives.

The Japanese tracks were not available to us as the companies rights only pertained to an English language version. Toei could not license us the films as the rights were owned by the U.S. companies.

So, all we could do is offer the English language version.

They look good and they are still fun to watch.

Cliff

Guest sonchiba

The us versions of those films are missing footage (cut).

I have the japanese versions on dvdr,the movies take on a different feeling & are more of a complete movie.

Dragon princess has a totally different start,then cuts to the fight in the church.Bodyguard also & karate warriors has differences.Ive bought all the adness dvds & the kage 1 set & the sister streetfighter set.Iam very dissapointed that these titles wont be getting the same treatment.A big loss i feel for the fans & i would think for the companys earnings.

Guest kungfusamurai

Thanks for clearing that part up Cliff.

So is it true that the films will be edited to fit the English track and will not be in their original japanese 'form'. I took it for granted that the films would just have the audio overlayed, not realizing that some of these films were edited for content and to reduce running times.

I guess you can't include an english track for what wasn't dubbed into english in the first place.

KFS

Guest Mr Dragula

Anyone have any specific info in regards to what exactly been altered and cut from the dubbed English releases? How much has actually been removed?

Guest KageShogun

Cliff, how about releasing the "Shinobi no Mono" TV-series or "Yagyu Bugeicho TV-series (yes, the TV-series!)? That would be a killer for sure.

Guest KageShogun

Can you confirm to the fans that BCI will release YAGYU CONSPIRACY DVD-Box? :) That would be totally AWESOME! :)

Guest killer meteor

Is the version of The Bodyguard therefore the one with the US intro with the New York karate guys?

Guest natoral

The date on the Best Buy site has been pushed up to 8/21 and it says for store pick-up 'coming soon' which usually means they will be carrying it.

Is the version of The Bodyguard therefore the one with the US intro with the New York karate guys?

Yes, it's that version.

Archived