Red Shadow

Guest Chinatown Kid

Guest Chinatown Kid

Hi, I was looking to get some opinions on the film Red Shadow and find out if it's worth picking up on DVD. I saw where it came out in Japan in 2001 and the action and story features Ninjas. Just got into the Ninja films recently and have also pre-ordered Shinobi No Mono from 63 and looking forward to seeing that as it supposed to portray the Ninja's pretty accurately. Anyways, if you have seen Red Shadow how is the action and the plot/story? Worth tracking down or one to avoid? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I bought "Red Shadow" (Media Blasters) when it was first released several years ago. Nice productions values, but thats about it. I thought it was decent, but was very disappointed overall. Simply not enough action imo. I sold my copy on ebay several moths later. I'd say pass on the buy, rent or trade instead. I thought "Shinobi: Heart Under Blade" was MUCH better. THis is a pretty accurate review imo :"Red Shadow"

Guest Daisho2004

I enjoyed Red Shadow I thought it was good. But if you want to preview it 1st. go to Netflix.com before you decide to buy it. But I would also check out "Law of the Shinobi" there are 4 parts to this series and I thought they were all really good. I did a review of them just check Samurai movies & there Sequels on this page or the next.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I sure would Tange! Just pm me and I'll definately take you up on that offer. I'm sure I probably have something on my trade list you would want, just let me know and it's yours. Thanks!

Guest Chinatown Kid

Finally watched this last night and glad to say I did enjoy it but wish there had been more action as well. The cinematography and visuals were really nice and the 3 Ninja protagonists didn't wear the traditional clothed black suit but a cool leather type Ninja suit similar looking to what Mel Gibson wore in the Road Warrior flicks. (possible spoiler) The young Ninja girl really looked sexy in her leather outfit with fishnet stockings, I really hated her character got killed off so early because I definately wanted to see more of her! :b Overall I really liked the stylishness of this film.

Chinatown Kid, if you like the style, check out that director's previous film, Samurai Fiction. It's a black and white spoof/tribute to the 60's Samurai movies. It throws in some rock music, and some cool visual twists. The fight choreography is (maybe intentionally) kind of slow, but I liked his style, and I found the story more engrossing than Red Shadow.

Archived