Hard Boiled (1992)

Guest Ministry88

The Killer (1989)

One of the few modern films where I prefer the English Dubb. Just used to it since the VHS then Criterion DVD releases.

kungpowmaster

I like this movie, and I only have the FOX Lorber DVD of it. I'm fine with it.

You need a widescreen TV that allows you to change the aspect.

I have a Phillips TV, and it has widescreen, super zoom, 4:3, 16:9, 16:9 with subtitles, I think even 14:9..... so I can always get the picture looking right.

My buddy has the DD version DVD, I haven't seen it, I might copy his just to have.

Reel Power Stunts
Those dubs are shockers.

I have to agree. I still enjoy an English dub on some old skool kung, and some Shaws, but "The Killer" always sounded wrong to me...even on the Palace VHS I bought in 1991.

For years I've been hearing about how great Hard Boiled was, but I never looked into because when I was younger I didn't like gun play movies plus I was never too found of Chow Yun Fat. Now after my tastes have been opened to much more of a variety of action I've been thinking of getting it.

And, now you will get to see how much "The Matrix" ripped off John Woo. :ooh::smile:

I know Hard Boiled technically isn't a martial arts film but I was curious does anybody know where I could find the 6 minute extended Taiwanese cut of the film? I have searched the internet for hours with no luck. Hard Boiled is my favorite movie of all time and when I found out a few days ago that it had an extended version i freaked out.:tongue:

TheKungFuRobber

It's kind of comes under "gun fu" because it is like a martial arts film with highly choreographed gunfights. The guns replace the traditional weapons.

Chen Hung Lieh
does anybody know where I could find the 6 minute extended Taiwanese cut of the film? I have searched the internet for hours with no luck.
There's an offer at Amazon.com, in case you're interested, you'd ask the seller first to make sure, if it's really the Taiwanese version (some marketplace sellers aren't accurate)

http://www.amazon.com/Mandarin-Imbedded-Chinese-English-Running/dp/B005C1M9YC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429504424&sr=8-1&keywords=hard+boiled+long+shong

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I finally saw this last night. Some excellent characterization and gonzoid shootouts / stunts made me appreciate the 'gun fu'. Loved the bits in the morgue.

I admit I am not the biggest fan of cops vs. organized crime, but I enjoyed this. Okay, I really enjoyed Mad Dog and his stunt coordination (Get my Kwok fan woman on.) I agree about Tony Leung stealing the film away from Chow too.

I have the Fox Lorder version and will definitely give the commentary awhirl one of these days. I completely get why folks love this movie. It gave me a new respect for John Woo.

TVB just uploaded a nice looking version of Hard Boiled on their YouTube channel. No English subs, sadly. It looks like Mei Ah currently own the rights… 

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
3 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

TVB just uploaded a nice looking version of Hard Boiled on their YouTube channel. No English subs, sadly. It looks like Mei Ah currently own the rights… 

Also contains a lot of cuts. The whole Chow Yun Fat bannister sequence on the staircase during the teahouse shootout has been removed, so he's suddenly just downstairs surrounded by bodies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Also contains a lot of cuts. The whole Chow Yun Fat bannister sequence on the staircase during the teahouse shootout has been removed, so he's suddenly just downstairs surrounded by bodies.

That’s bizarre. Sorry, I didn’t review it that well, it seems. I just scanned the beginning.

• Like 3

On 2/25/2022 at 5:50 AM, Drunken Monk said:

The last HK blu-ray was released by Mei Ah if I remember correctly. Not sure if this is the same remaster/transfer or a newer one though.
Actually, glancing at it, the colours look similar so it may be the same remaster.

• Like 2