Hard Boiled (1992)

Guest Ministry88

Guest Ministry88

Can anyone recommend the best release for this film? What I'm looking for is uncut (but NOT the longer 126 minute Taiwan cut) and with the original soundtrack. I've heard the Mei Ah remastered release is the best available right now. Thanks!

Guest chen lung

The Tartan edition bloats itself into being special, but it's not.

DTS and 5.1 are upmixes.

English subtitles are the fade-in/out type.

English subtitles are not totally accurate and don't subtitle the credits (I think) or the song Chow sings to the baby.

Trailer isn't anamorphic or subtitled.

Wait for the Dragon Dynasty release.

...and it looked fine to me. I didnt have any problems with it. You could pick that one up for cheap, and maybe in the future you can always upgrade if a better version does come out.

Guest The Running Man
DTS and 5.1 are upmixes.

English subtitles are the fade-in/out type.

English subtitles are not totally accurate and don't subtitle the credits (I think) or the song Chow sings to the baby.

Trailer isn't anamorphic or subtitled.

First two and the last one aren't even complaints. The third one is not even that big of a deal when you compare the competition. There are only two other sets of official English subtitles. The Fox/Lober ones and the HK subtitles. Fox/Lober's are 98% dubtitles and the HK subtitles are the usual HK subtitle crap from that era.

That means that the Tartan UK disc is the best disc out right now for English speaking audiences.

Guest Ministry88

Thanks everyone for the input. Now I'm more confused than ever! Maybe I'll just wait for the Dragon Dynasty release. Anyone know when it's coming out? Thanks!

Guest chen lung

Well, I doubt they'll do anything to it as they promised 'carefully crafted' products, uncut and original language.

Tartan ain't worth the cash for a barebones item. Robbing bastards wanting all that money for yet another half-arsed presentation>: .

Guest The Running Man
Tartan ain't worth the cash for a barebones item. Robbing bastards wanting all that money for yet another half-arsed presentation .

Original mono track, one of the best video presentations of the film, and above average English subtitles. And you call that half-ass??

And by the way...how long is it until the DD release?

Guest chen lung
Original mono track, one of the best video presentations of the film, and above average English subtitles. And you call that half-ass??
German and French DVDs appear to be the best (beating Tartan slightly). But yeah, it's pretty good!

I still do think it's half-arsed (or "half-assed":b ) because there are no extras and Tartan charge £19.99 for it. Should be £16.99 or less.

And by the way...how long is it until the DD release?

Not sure.

Guest killer meteor

I paid £7.99 for the Tartan. It would be ideal but the title sequence is bizzarly windowboxed to the extent where it's a 4:3 widescreen image within a 16:9 frame. Very strange and distracting

Guest The Running Man
I still do think it's half-arsed (or "half-assed" ) because there are no extras and Tartan charge £19.99 for it. Should be £16.99 or less.

Yeah, that was when the disc came out. As others have pointed out you can get it for far less than that now.

And since there is no release date set for DD, then how do we know how long it's gonna be until they put out their disc of it? Telling someone to wait for a disc that hasn't even been officially announced yet is not ideal.

It would be ideal but the title sequence is bizzarly windowboxed to the extent where it's a 4:3 widescreen image within a 16:9 frame. Very strange and distracting

It was the print that Tartan got that was like that. Indeed it is strange but it only lasts for the title sequence then everything goes fine from there.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I have the Winstar DVD version(Fox Lorber) of Hard Boiled and The Killer. The aspect ratios are both 1.85:1, mono, and feature both Cantonese and English dub audio with English subs too. Hard Boiled features a commentary track with John Woo and Terrence Chang, the Killer features a commentary track with just Woo. Hard Boiled is 126 minutes, The Killer is 110 minutes. The Running Man says these versions have 98% dubtitles though so remember that.