Bushi no Ichibun

Guest Tosh

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest limubai2000

Japan Times has a good english review of it on kungfucultcinema.com or vice versa something er other, anyway I'm looking forward to it.

Guest KevinClo

I saw short trailer for it on the dvd for Hana yori mo naho (not recommended...some good ideas in that movie, but bored me and, imo, just didn't work). Our main character appears to be a blind swordsman which can be interesting.

I liked Twilight Samurai a lot. I looked forward to Hidden Blade, but I remember being disappointed because it was practically the same story as the first movie. That may not have been the directors problem since his source material for these movies is from the same author.

I will see it when it reaches dvd, but I expect it to have similar ideas and themes as the first two.

KC

Guest KevinClo
When it will be available,with English subtitles?

The movie just came out last month, but I suspect it will be on dvd in a few months. I am sure it will be subtitled.

KC

Guest Tosh

You know I was just thinking about this movie today, I'll be interested in hearing any reviews, I really loved Twilight Samurai and Hidden Blade.

Guest KevinClo

I recently saw this movie. I think if you liked Yoji Yamada’s prior movies you will like this one a lot! I liked Twilight Samurai a lot. I thought it was one of the best I had seen in a long time. The Hidden Blade I thought was pretty good, but it was so close in story and ideas to Twilight that I did not enjoy it as much. This one, Love and Honor, is much better.

I don’t want to give a long review on this one because I fear I would spoil too much. If you really want more then look up Bushi no Ichibun on imdb. Basically, Takuya Kimura plays a samurai food taster for his lord. He does not like his position and talks about dropping the position to become a sword fighting instructor for kids. Unfortunately, something tragic happens to him that changes his life. His dealing with his own problem and then his relationship with his wife because of his new situation are the key parts to the movie. Yoji Yamada likes to build his movies up to a final duel. This is no exception. There is some very good tension in it. It is a simple story, but not without a few twists. There is something I really really want to say, but, but, but…I better not! The actors did a good job in this movie. See it. I think you will like it.

KC

Thanks for the mini review (and not spoiling it), the food taster sounds like an interesting angle, I'll be really looking forward to seeing this, do you know if or when this will get a US release?

Guest KevinClo

Tosh, I honestly don't know when the U.S. release dates will be. I suspect that it will have a limited theatrical release and then go to dvd eventually. In the meantime, the Japanese dvd will probably show up on the trade lists so that may tide you over until the official U.S. releases.

I'll say this, but still being a bit cryptic, the motivation for the main character for the duel is very well done. Yoji Yamada has you thinking in one direction as the story goes on, but then changes things up. Nice.

KC

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I enjoyed both Twilight and Hidden Blade very much, so I will be looking forward to this one as well. I actually enjoyed Hidden Blade more than Twilight Samurai, which I know is against popular opinion. It was just a more entertaining flick.

Guest strutr74

WOW, I just watched this one. LOVED IT. I was totally sucked into this one. Epic ? NO But simply great. The acting is top notch, I really felt the actors, which I haven't felt in a movie in awhile. Gets a 5/5 from me. Great film!!!

Guest Mr Dragula

My expectations were quite high for this one, being that I think so much of the first two. Which is likely why I was a bit disappointed 30 minutes into the film, mind you I realized it to be a good film, it just wasn't "grabbing me" the way the previous entries had.

Spoilers Below....

I needn't of worried, as the longer I watched and the further into the films story I got the more I realized just how excellent a film I was watching. I truly felt for the characters plight, and watched in horror as Shinnojo came to the realization of his wifes infidelity. The grief on his face was nearly unbearable, you could see his heart shattering within him. Heavy stuff.

The swordplay. Like the with the others there isn't much, but what's there is engaging and executed well. Out of the three films, I still say The Hidden Blade remains at the top of the heap but must admit I found the concluding duel of Ichibun to be my favorite of the series.

Just watched this last night, what a wonderful touching story, the acting and direction is supurb, there always seems to be such a realistic quality to Yamada's films that dwell more on the hardships of life(at the time) that entertain even with the lack of action, and when the action does come it never fails to be less then brillant. I would like to see him do another Samurai film(does it always have to be a trilogy?) where he cuts lose a little more with the swordplay.

All in all, with out giving anything away, this was a look at a subgenre that I never believed could be pulled of in such a way, if you ever want to get your girlfriend into these movies (and believe me I've tried over the years:lol ), Yamada's films would be a great start.

Archived