King Of Fists And Dollars (1981) - Terracotta's Classic Kung Fu Collection 3rd Title

Kwok Choi

aPCNsOcGVls

====================================================================

======================================================================================================================================================================================

Dragon Claws posted

aPCNsOcGVls

Thanks for sharing this Blue_Skies.

Very nice looking trailer:smile:.

========================================================================================================================================

wait what, is this 2.35 Scope Film cropped to 1.85? only a few Shots (most likely from Credits) are in 2.35 there... totally worthless Release then.

Posted By Robbie

your very harsh. i do not think totally worthless. i have been impressed with terracotta releases so far. The picture quality is still very good. you can now pick up the older releases like shanghai 13 and hero of shaolin now for £5.99 at base.com and similar price on amazon.co.uk..Especially when you consider if they had been released in germany you would not get much change out of £20. which considering the rareness of these films and quality makes them a bargain.

cropped from 2.35 to 1.78 is harsh to the customer and unacceptable, but in 2015 laughable and embarassing. i did buy the previous releases but this one not because of cropping.

it's obvious SOMEONE had a 2.35 print as the opening credits are correctly framed in that selfmade Trailer.

Posted By Fabhui

Well there's almost another 2 weeks before it's released so here's hoping they get aspect ratio problem sorted between now and then....If not then I will be giving this one a miss :sad:

DVD gets a release on April 27th in the UK...

aPCNsOcGVls&hc

HigDpOM.jpg

Posted By Kwok Choi

your very harsh. i do not think totally worthless. i have been impressed with terracotta releases so far. The picture quality is still very good. you can now pick up the older releases like shanghai 13 and hero of shaolin now for £5.99 at base.com and similar price on amazon.co.uk..Especially when you consider if they had been released in germany you would not get much change out of £20. which considering the rareness of these films and quality makes them a bargain.

cropped from 2.35 to 1.78 is harsh to the customer and unacceptable, but in 2015 laughable and embarassing. i did buy the previous releases but this one not because of cropping.

it's obvious SOMEONE had a 2.35 print as the opening credits are correctly framed in that selfmade Trailer.

Hmmmm........Interesting............well Terracotta old school dvd releases do not seem to have original aspect ratios on Amazon and even their own website for that matter and since the objective seems to be releasing these films as they were originally intended to be seen enhancing the viewing pleasure hence the choice of available material fitting this criteria amongst others, cropping to 1.78.1 will defeat this purpose which seems unlikely.I think we should be a bit patient for the dvd to hit the shelves and not fully judge the content by that trailer on YouTube.

The King Of Fists And Dollars (aka The Kings of Fists and Dollars) is a 1979 Taiwan martial arts film by Ming-Hua Chen.

Starring Ling Chang, David Chiang and Danny Lee. BBFC link IMDb 7.5/10

UK: Passed 15 uncut for strong violence for:2015 Terracotta Distribution

[Dubbed] R2 DVD at UK Amazon released on 13th April 2015

There are no censorship issues with this release

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00T9JG76E/melonfarmers-21

http://terracottadistribution.com/films/the-king-of-fists-and-dollars

http://terracotta.tictail.com/product/the-king-of-fists-and-dollars

========================================================================================================================================

Godfrey Ho worshipper posted

Sounds like a good one and it has David Chiang in it apparently, so count me in for this one. :tongue:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something went terribly wrong with my computer when I tried to merge these posts but the replies above are the ones I have managed to salvage.Sorry if anyone's response has gone missing.:angel:

Secret Executioner

I'm the guy who posted that last thing about the movie looking like a good one and talking about David Chiang. :smile:

Hm, the movie had already been released by Rarescope a few years ago.

So I really do not see the point for this release. Unless the movie was in Chinese with subtitles but apparently this is not the case.

Shit...sorry guys. My fault for creating a new thread. Didn't mean to fuck it all up.

Not to worry Drunken Monk I think The King Of Fist And Dollars new Terracotta dvd release needed it's own thread anyway as the Richard Geddes thread relates to the Terracotta releases in general so yourself and the other posters have done no harm.If anything the fault is actually mine :angel:

Secret Executioner
Hm, the movie had already been released by Rarescope a few years ago.

So I really do not see the point for this release. Unless the movie was in Chinese with subtitles but apparently this is not the case.

Looks like it does, as it says on Terracotta's website:

Language: Mandarin with English subtitles, English dubbed, French dubbed, Spanish dubbed

DragonClaws

The picture quality should be a lot better than the Rarescope release, as GHW has pointed out there is a duel language option. You can always pick some faults with a release. Few things are perfect in this world.

Secret Executioner
The picture quality should be a lot better than the Rarescope release, as GHW has pointed out there is a duel language option. You can always pick some faults with a release. Few things are perfect in this world.

Original dub with subs and a French dub, the Terracotta release sounds just fine for me, even if the picture qualtiy isn't top-notch - actually I'm much more nit-picky concerning the dubs than the picture quality. :xd:

DragonClaws
Original dub with subs and a French dub, the Terracotta release sounds just fine for me, even if the picture qualtiy isn't top-notch - actually I'm much more nit-picky concerning the dubs than the picture quality. :xd:

I hope it's the original aspect ratio but if not the film still looks pretty good. Prefer these releases to the countless poor quality prints that often get re-issued over and over again.

Are there any other legitimate releases of this title?.

Oh, I might consider picking it up then. Even though I try to collect movies, not releases.

Actually I was quite content with the Rarescope version but my standards regarding picture quality are not that high anyway.

I have watched so many tapes in horrible shape. :tongue:

Seems like I have absolutely hardened myself. :xd:

Morgoth Bauglir

The Rarescope version starts out at about 2:35 and then switches to 1:85.

I was disappointed with this movie. It has an all star cast but I found most of the fights to be just average.

Oh, I might consider picking it up then. Even though I try to collect movies, not releases.

Actually I was quite content with the Rarescope version but my standards regarding picture quality are not that high anyway.

I have watched so many tapes in horrible shape. :tongue:

Seems like I have absolutely hardened myself. :xd:

You will have got used to bad quality like i have a bit. Picture quality makes a big difference and is most important thing for me. Check hitman in hand of buddha german against u.k release or 7 grandmasters tokyo shock against u.k. It makes a very big difference to enjoyment. Hopefully they get aspect ratio right but still worth it even if don't. If you wait a while it will definately come down to £5.99 like rest have as i doubt it will fly off the shelves..

How many other labels are still spending money getting these rare films up to standard of terracotta . Not many a few compilation from u.s that is all

The dvd is out now and it is letterbox 1.78.1 aspect ratio not 16x9 squeezed/stretched.

Languages:English,Mandarin,Spanish,French.

Subtitles: English.

Sound: Mono

Spanish track is the best.French track reverts to English in one scene.There are a few seconds sound dropout in one fight scene of the English track.Subtitles large enough and easy on the eye.Both lines of subtitles are readable if you set your TV to 4x3 aspect ratio but if you zoom the image you will cut off the bottom line of the subtitles.Translation is very similar to the English dub. Use your TV speakers on the English,Mandarin and French sound tracks for better audio.Avoid using Home Cinema AV Amplifiers for these.

Extras: The usual Terracotta trailers plus auto play stills of the movie with an accompanying score.

More auto play trailers at the beginning of the disc before the main menu.

it also seems to be a lousy NTSC-PAL interlaced Conversion. it really can't get any worse than this so let's hope the next title is better... which i will support again by buying.

DragonClaws
it also seems to be a lousy NTSC-PAL interlaced Conversion. it really can't get any worse than this so let's hope the next title is better... which i will support again by buying.

I have not seen the actual DVD itself but there's been some really bad full screen murky prints been released here before. Just can't see this release being the the worst of them picture wise.

Kwok Choi what's your opinion on the picture quality?.

this Disc is clearly ripped from either Crash or Toby's DVD. (i guess the HK Licencor did that themselves, not Terracotta). so yeah, there's no "worse" but most likely slightly better older Versions out there. VHS Fullscreen Versions are harder to get than these 2 DVDs which were ripped.

Kwok Choi what's your opinion on the picture quality?.

Picture quality is OK/fine/sharp/passable although this could be? the best quality image currently available on the market, I do agree with almost all of Spannick's views especially from a major label release.Saying that,if you need to have this in your collection then it is worth buying because I do not think you will be fully disappointed with the overall specs though 2.35.1 widescreen would have been better (the 1.78.1 ratio ruined the Pearl Cheung "ladder" training sequence) it seems the Master Copy of this release existed before the advent of widescreen TVs otherwise I don't see the logic behind getting the opening sequence spot on then the conscious telecine decision made to zoom into the frame after the prolonging opening credit sequence ended.

DragonClaws
Picture quality is OK/fine/sharp/passable although this could be? the best quality image currently available on the market, I do agree with almost all of Spannick's views especially from a major label release.Saying that,if you need to have this in your collection then it is worth buying because I do not think you will be fully disappointed with the overall specs though 2.35.1 widescreen would have been better (the 1.78.1 ratio ruined the Pearl Cheung "ladder" training sequence) it seems the Master Copy of this release existed before the advent of widescreen TVs otherwise I don't see the logic behind getting the opening sequence spot on then the conscious telecine decision made to zoom into the frame after the prolonging opening credit sequence ended.

Thanks Kwok Choi & Spannick,

Got my hopes up a few times when a release has the proper ratio during the credits, only to change during the feature itself. Ill still pick this title up eventually.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Got this a couple of weeks ago, definitely Pearl Chung's showcase. She was fun. 

Interesting movie. I'm always happy to see David Chiang and Chan Wai Man together. 

I hope Terracotta continue to release classic films. I'm slowing down film purchase-wise, but I would like to continue to support Terracotta when money and interest (actors I like) permit. 

Archived