The Master Strikes (1980) - Casanova Wong's Best Performance?

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Hi guys

I had a couple of questions (one of which is probably pretty obvious from the thread title!) about this movie -

1. Which is the best version to own, the Crash Masters DVD, or the Vengeance Video DVD, and what are the differences between the 2?

and

2. What are your opinions on this flick? The general consensus seems to be that it contains some of the most amazing old-school fight scenes, which are overshadowed by some of the most gratingly annoying comedy to be found in a kung fu flick. I don't think there's ever been a dedicated thread for this movie though, so let's hear it here!

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

You're gonna like this one OAB. I think Fearless Young Boxer is Casa's best fighting, and Master Strikes may be #2. Also he's hilarious in Master Strikes.

The Crash DVD looks 1:85, really good pic quality for a non remastered print, and appears to be in its original language. Good sound.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Going by memory I own the Vengeance Video release, and I'm fairly certain it's Cantonese language with imbedded English and Chinese subs, and it's letterboxed.

Now keep in mind that I'm not as into the comedy elements of kung fu cinema as some (though I love most everything of Sammo's)... I have fond memories of the film, found a lot of it to be funny, and was impressed with the action. There are some stunning exchanges and techniques throughout, and Casanova looks incredible in action. Despite all that, I did find myself rolling my eyes a few times and wishing that instead of him being crazy, his character was just a bad ass. The plot element about his character definitely gets old, and even a bit annoying. But I'd definitely rate this a must-see old school flick, especially for you. I think you'll really dig it.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

I like Casa's character going crazy because it makes the final fight really insane! Plus it's just funny to see him play a different type of character.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
Going by memory I own the Vengeance Video release, and I'm fairly certain it's Cantonese language with imbedded English and Chinese subs, and it's letterboxed.

Ah ok, so it sounds like it's the same deal with 'Tiger Over Wall'....the R1 Ground Zero DVD is the English dub, while the R2 Vengeance Video DVD is the original language with burnt in subs.

'The Master Strikes' Vengeance Video DVD is almost impossible to get hold of new, but the Crash Masters version still seems readily available. Considering I prefer a dub on these old school indies, it sounds like the R1 might actually be preferable.

A crazy Casanova, I'm very tempted!

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I like Casa's character going crazy because it makes the final fight really insane! Plus it's just funny to see him play a different type of character.

So true! There were other times though that I felt like "Yeah yeah... we get it. Enough already." But like I said, it wasn't enough to stop me from enjoying the hell out of the film.

Ah ok, so it sounds like it's the same deal with 'Tiger Over Wall'....the R1 Ground Zero DVD is the English dub, while the R2 Vengeance Video DVD is the original language with burnt in subs.

'The Master Strikes' Vengeance Video DVD is almost impossible to get hold of new, but the Crash Masters version still seems readily available. Considering I prefer a dub on these old school indies, it sounds like the R1 might actually be preferable.

A crazy Casanova, I'm very tempted!

The dub is fun. I first saw this as a full-screen dubbed version.

Definitely DO IT! You won't be sorry.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I may have misread something. Is there an English dubbed DVD for The Master Strikes?

I'm 90% sure the Crash Cinema, R1 release is dubbed. And I think Tai Seng may have released this dubbed at some point as well brother.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
No English dub on the Crash DVD.

Hey Morgoth, I missed that you said 'original language' in your first post, my bad.

I was basing the fact that the Crash Masters DVD had the English dub from the info on amazon.com -

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Strikes-Artist-Not-Provided/dp/B0001ZX0IS/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1428896793&sr=1-1&keywords=the+master+strikes

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Amazon gets that stuff wrong a lot. It does say that it is subtitled on the cover of the DVD. I guess I could have mentioned what language it is in my Amazon review, but I didn't. It looks like a rushed review if you ask me:neutral:

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
No English dub on the Crash DVD.

Huh. I'll have to check and see which companies I own this from, and see if any are English dubbed. I'll let you guys know.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Crash. Eng/Chinese burnt-in-subs.

crash15.jpg

Hmmm... okay. So that's been double verified.

Been so busy I forgot to check to see if I still have the dubbed version. I want to check who released it.

BTW- Perfect choice of screenshot. :bigsmile:

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

FYI on the subs they are easy to read except for the 100 or so times that they blend into a white background, which is standard for burnt in subs. But I don't think anyone watches this movie for the story.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

Thanks for all the info guys. It's also been clarified to my by a little bird that the Vengeance Video release is English dubbed (unusual, as normally it's the Crash/Ground Zero etc. titles which carry the English dub, with the selling point of the Vengeance Video label being that the title is in its original language, but here that situation is reversed). So KFB, the English dub that you're trying to remember where you saw must be on the Vengeance Video DVD that you have.

So basically, the difference seems to be -

Crash Masters release - Original language with burnt-in subs

Vengeance Video release - English dub only

• Like 2