Samurai Rebellion 67'

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

A Toho-Mifune production? Director, Masaki Kobayashi appearently likes LONG stories, because I passed out (literally) while watching this film last night, then woke up around 1:15 am put it back in (where I last remembered about 1:30 mins.) and found myself STILL forcing myself to pay attention. In fact, I have to at least play the very ending once more just to see the duel between Tatsuya Nakadai Toshiro Mifune, because I can't remember ANYTHING notable in the whole film! O.K. in the film (the director's) defense it is a well wrtten story, but that's the MAJORITY of the film. To have Tatsuya Nakadai and Toshiro Mifune on screen together calls for a celebration of attitude, action, and a well paced storyline. It just wasn't delivered here. I owned this years ago on VHS, but at that time hadn't the appreciation for these actors, nor the genre that I now've acquired. Too bad about this film, cuz I was really looking forward to seeing Nakadai and Mifune in this film. The director made (really) no use of Nakadai in this film. In terms of what he's (Nakadai) capable of anyhow.

Still a must have for Nakadai or Mifune fans and the interview with director, Masaki Kobayashi is pretty cool, yet if you wanna see him succeed with a drawn out story (as many japanes film lovers on this board will know) put in Harakiri.

6/10 IMO

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Daisho2004

Vengeance, I have to disagree with you I thought this movie was Great it really wasn't about Nakadai or Mifune, it had to do with his family and the status it was going to have after everything was over. This is a must see movie, I will agree there isn't much action but its the storyline that really makes this movie a Classic.

synopsis:

In Masaki Kobayashi's SAMURAI REBELLION, Toshiro Mifune stars as Isaburo, an aging swordsman living a quiet life until his clan lord orders that his son marry the lord's mistress, who has recently displeased the ruler. Reluctantly, father and son take in the woman, and, to the family's surprise, the young couple fall in love. But when the tyrannical lord wants her back he revolts against them and then the royals claim his unwilling daughter-in-law as a mistress. Although his quest for justice is futile, the swordsman refuses to accept the command without a fight.

I liked this movie pretty much, not one of my favorites, but I didn't feel the story dragged out that bad compared to some other Samurai films I've seen, it has been a while since I saw it (on vhs), but I thought the story of the mistress being forced on their family, the couple following in love, the Fathers loveless marriage, then his refusal to give the girl up in the end was entertianing enough to biuld up to the end blow out, though I do agree Nakadai wasn't used enough.

I rememberthis from the film...

Why are you putting mats down?

Ah, that's so we don't slip in the blood. (calmly stated by Mufine)

You know it's on in the end.

upon viewing the end of this film again this morning, I have to say my previous comments are unjustified. The ending of the film IS awesome. The cinematographry throughout IS unparalleled. BUT the dialogue IS so drawn out and moving in slow mo like molasses, that by the time you get to the GOOD STUFF you almost feel like you should have put another flick in.

The mood, the cinematogrophy, the acting, and even the action (when it finally arrives) are excellent.

So, I recind my previous rating, and must say the film deserved more respect than I'd given it.

8.5/10

Justice is done!

Guest TambaChibaYama  IchiFune

I this movie was outstanding. Someone told me this which i agree, and that is when kung fu fans start watch samurai films they tend to think they are boring. Most likely due to that they are expecting a nice amount of fights like kung fu films. Most samurai movies i like the best only have like one mybe two fights the most. To me, i am way more drawn to the dialogue and what is going rather than watching it just for the action. I cant lie, but i would rather watch the films that have more fighting and blood, but it doesnt really matter that much when it comes down to the end of it.

Just for the record, I own a great many samurai/yakuza films, and action is not the only thing I'm concerned with in the films I watch. If the dialogue is the majority of the films storyline that's fine by me, it's just dialogue has to make either moral statements that I can identify with or philosophical statements that relay underlying psychological conditions that pertain to the entire human race and touching very deep emotions. Enjo is a prime example of this style of dialogue driven storyline.

Upon viewing this film a third time now, I must say it is one of my favorite samurai films in terms of atmosphere and the music is extraordinary as well.

Great film.

Guest Yakuza954

I don't think it's as good as Harakiri (not much is) but I'd put in my top 10. Once it gets going, its really really good.

As a side note, Roger Ebert even included Samurai Rebellion in the "great films" section of his website.

Archived