Blu-ray specs

Gaijin84

If this topic has already been started my apologies, but is there a thread where we can get.a comprehnsive list of Blu-rays that have been released and their specs?

Almost every one I see (especially from Kam & Ronson), people say it is simply an upscale and in most cases looks worse than the original DVD9 version. Are there any out there that are actually 1080p and full HD? Are Japanese and Germn releases best bets for this?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I`m not sure if there is one thread for this, but certainly a few different ones. There is also a lot of info on www.blu-ray.com that does not get much mention here. http://forum.blu-ray.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74

There have been a few Fortune Star releases that could be true HD. K&R get a lot of hate but they probably only release what is given to them by FS. I think that City Hunter and Operation Condor may be true HD. Some argue that Operation Condor is not but if not then it is one of the best "upscales" that I have ever seen. Also, I own some of the recent Japanese Extreme Edition blu-ray releases. They do feature a true HD Japanese print along with the FS upscale. Some of these true HD films need to be remastered and color-corrected. As well, most people might not like the side-titles and lack of English subs. The Japanese blu of Operation Condor is worth it cause it is an uncut/most complete version of the film (it features around 14 minutes of never available seen footage on home video). No English subs though.

Recently, these Fortune Star, Golden Harvest catalog, films are being released in Korea with some nice extras. However, they are the same old upscales that FS have currently been using. But, at least they are not the bare bones releases that K&R released only a few years ago. These new releases are available from www.kimchidvd.com.

And, honestly, imo, a lot of these FS upscales do not look that bad. Of course, they do not look that good to what Hollywood can do. But, all of the US Jackie Chan films have been so badly butchered that it really is not worth it to have them in true HD.

At least the Shaw Brothers films are getting the true HD treatment on blu-ray. The recent box set release of 36th Chamber of Shaolin trilogy is just amazing. And, of course, the iTunes and Hulu releases are HD.

As mentioned above most of the Fortune Star K&R releases are upscales but how people can tell is puzzling at times. Hopefully more Shaw titles will get released as the 36th Chamber box is superb. Some of the Blu ray's of classic older films i have that as far as i can tell are true HD are Once Upon A Time in China and America, Yes Madam, My Father is a Hero, Tiger On The Beat and Iron Monkey. Righting Wrongs looks very good also. As mentioned also Bluray.com is a good place to research titles but you normally have to dig into the forums.

Recently announced by a company called Vicol are true HD releases of Flirting Scholar & Fight Back to School Trilogy, God of Gamblers, God of Gamblers II, God of Gamblers III: Back to Shanghai, and From Beijing with Love.

What bothers me as well with some of these releases is the messed up soundtracks with added sound fx plastered all over the old ones, some titles much worse than others.

A comprehensive list of all released HK blu rays would be most welcomed i agree.

As mentioned above most of the Fortune Star K&R releases are upscales but how people can tell is puzzling at times.

actually very easy to tell: just compare a DVD of the same Movie with a Bluray via Screenshots.

here you can see Story of Ricky remastered German Disc via USA bluray (hahaha yes this SHIT was sold as true HD to the USA company):

f06ad0400935525.jpg ab3e7b400935546.jpg

same you can do with DVD vs Blu. if there's no difference, Upscale.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
here you can see Story of Ricky remastered German Disc via USA bluray (hahaha yes this SHIT was sold as true HD to the USA company):

Damn! That is some difference Spannick. :ooh:

In addition to the excellent IVL/Celestial 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN trilogy Blu-ray set that was mentioned above, don't forget the following Shaw Brothers Blu-ray releases from German distributor TVP. These are all true HD releases in gorgeous book-style packaging, loaded with color reproductions of posters and lobby cards, and each one comes with two discs- one Blu-ray, and one DVD.

TVP Blu-ray Releases

New One-Armed Swordsman (Schwert des gelben Tigers) Includes English dub

Shaolin Avengers (Shaolin - Die Rache mit der Todeshand) Includes English dub

The Savage Five (Die Wilden Fuenf) Includes English dub

Five Shaolin Masters (Die gnadenlosen Fuenf) Includes English dub

Disciples of Shaolin (Karato - Sein Haertester Schlag)

Crippled Avengers (Vier gnadenlose Raecher)

Seven Man Army (Die unschlagbaren Sieben)

actually very easy to tell: just compare a DVD of the same Movie with a Bluray via Screenshots.

f06ad0400935525.jpg ab3e7b400935546.jpg

same you can do with DVD vs Blu. if there's no difference, Upscale.

I have compared a few Blu rays from HK to say some HK Legends releases. They look slightly better picture quality obviously because they are a higher resolution so i still find it hard at times to tell if its an upscale or just a bad transfer.

Its disgusting that companies can lie to customers so blatantly about so called HD products.

only really safe way is to compare the DVDs from the exact Master (not HKL old Releases) to the Blurays. HK DVD remastered vs Bluray. also, always check for long lines (Telegraph Lines and such stuff - if they are not 100% clear, upscale smells. because even with super heavy DNR such stuff would always be 100% clearly visible, not jagged as an upscale would have)

here's an Example;

JP 35mm HD print vs HK Upscale. check the Cranes in the Background. even with much DNR the japanese is 100% clear visible vs the aliased Upscale Crane. the aliasing is resulting from the Upscaling of non existant Resolution (and often sharpness filter to fake Resolution)

1f416e373691062.jpg 8af449373691077.jpg

Thanks for the answers all! Maybe a list of upscaled Blu-rays would be most helpful so people don't waste their money and support these bums.

Archived