Shaw Brothers Return to Films

AlbertV

Variety has just reported seven new films will be released under the Shaw Brothers moniker courtesy of TVB. Shaw Bros. and TVB have had film subsidiaries, but this looks like the Shaw Brothers name is making a resurgence nearly three decades after ceasing film production under the original name.

Two films have already been confirmed that will be the first of the new Shaw Brothers titles:

From Vegas to Macau 3 and Line Walker, a feature film adaptation of a TVB crime thriller series.

I hope they keep the famous logo and music of yore because that would be awesome!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good news !!

They also still release the recurrent movies untitled I love Hong Kong (2011, 2012 and so on...)

I may be the odd man out here but I say "Give it a rest". What is the point to bring the name back now?

Drunken Arts

Approx 2 years back, didn't Shaw Brothers and Weinstein Company announce a join venture to remake "Come Drink With Me" & "Avenging Eagle"?

Since that, it all went quiet.. Are they still doing these?

And more on topic, Im a really late bloomer with the old Shaw Brothers films, speaking or telling my friends about these classics, none of my friends have heard of the Shaw Brothers, so i think this is kinda cool that they are making a come back. BUT I dont want to sound like a negative nancy, i fail to see how they can continue their legacy in the modern era as the Shaw Brothers of yester-year were known & built on their "sets", had "their" directors & actors etc..

I maybe missing a beat here, as i've only seen Shaw Movies from the 60's-80's, and not their TV ventures, But i do hope they can bring their name a nice swan song, especially if they decide to make some Martial Arts movies, imagine one of 2017's best MA movies was a Shaw Brothers flick.. would be uber cool. :bigsmile:

I have a similar thinking to you Drunken Arts. I would hope they would try to keep the Shaw feel, but I doubt it. How cool would It be if they made these movies today using mainly sets?! They should at least make one movie with that classic feel though!

As much as I feel these movies won't feel at all like "Shaw" movies (and it's understandable, this isn't the 1970s!), I'll still support it and look forward to seeing it.

The TVB series are great too ; the sets are as beautiful as in the Shaws' movies, the martial arts are great, as well as the plots, so, you should try to watch some of their old series in order to get an idea...

The TVB series are great too ; the sets are as beautiful as in the Shaws' movies, the martial arts are great, as well as the plots, so, you should try to watch some of their old series in order to get an idea...

Nah, they are not. They are like super cheap versions of Shaw Brothers movies with extremely small, shabby sets that always seem to shake when someones walks near them. I watched the Condor-trilogy of the 80s with the likes of Andy Lau and Tony Leung Chiu-Wei and I could enjoy them for the stories, partly for the action (choreographed by Ching Siu-Tung but way shoddier than, for example, DUEL TO THE DEATH) and for the familiar faces. But I wouldn't recommend these series as a substitute for SB-flicks.

I never said that the TVB series were substitutes to the Shaw Brothers' movies, and maybe I should have written " locations " instead of " sets " in my comment.

How many of these series did you watch so far and what are the titles ?

You say that they aren't as interesting as the Shaws' movies, and I say that I enjoyed all the series I watched until now.

As we say in my country " all the tastes are in Mother Nature "...

I didn't say there weren't as interesting as SB-productions, they are just quite cheap looking. And like I said I watched LEGEND OF CONDOR HEROES, RETURN OF THE CONDOR HEROES, HEAVEN SWORD AND DRAGON SABER and DUKE OF MT. DEER. All of them in their celebrated 80s incarnation. They were not bad but I watched them because of the content and not for their martial arts or their great sets and locations. In that regard they have nothing compared to the more current mainland chinese productions.

Eastern Evil
I never said that the TVB series were substitutes to the Shaw Brothers' movies, and maybe I should have written " locations " instead of " sets " in my comment.

How many of these series did you watch so far and what are the titles ?

You say that they aren't as interesting as the Shaws' movies, and I say that I enjoyed all the series I watched until now.

As we say in my country " all the tastes are in Mother Nature "...

I've watched every Condor Heroes series I could find, from 1983 up to 2009 and I think they stand up on their own - great stuff.

Different production values & sometimes - at least in the 80's versions - there is a lot of standing around talking, I thought they were done real nice & I'm glad I saw them.

It's like the movies are the cliff notes & the series fills in all the detail.

I totally agree with you, Eastern Evil : that's how I appreciated more movies such as 14 amazons, Eight diagram pole fighters, Saving General yang and other Shaws ones which titles escape me at this moment and related to the Yangs after watching the series The Yangs' saga...

10 seconds into this is the new Shaw Brothers logo that will be used in its future releases

bfYZSaRtJjw

Delirious
10 seconds into this is the new Shaw Brothers logo that will be used in its future releases

bfYZSaRtJjw

From 00:04 to 00:08, those 4seconds were so trashed :o

Archived