Disney's Mulan (2020) - Crystal Liu Yifei, Donnie Yen, Jet Li, Yoson An, Jason Scott Lee, Gong Li

AlbertV

Only seeing it because Donnie Yen and Jet Li.

I don't expect them to fight but.....I almost want it to happen like my two fav superheroes having a team up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SpartainX said:

Only seeing it because Donnie Yen and Jet Li.

I don't expect them to fight but.....I almost want it to happen like my two fav superheroes having a team up.

I'm interested in the movie as a whole, but to see Donnie and Jet is an added bonus. Looking forward to it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SMK said:

I'm interested in the movie as a whole, but to see Donnie and Jet is an added bonus. Looking forward to it. 

Yes, It is.  Always like seeing together in the same movie together.

• Like 3

Not sure if it's just rumours but apparently Disney is considering to move this to digital. Which to be honest wouldn't come as a total surprise. Damage control!?

• Like 2

Also, I checked the website for The Asylum (theaslym.cc) and I was disappointed to see that they have a Top Gun mockbuster ready, and did an Aladdin mockbuster, but there's no Mulan mockbuster in the works. Boo, people! I'd love to see what unknown or washed-up Asian celebrities they'd get for that. "The Asylum's Mulan!!! Starring Devon Aoki as Mulan, Robin Shou as the chief military officer, James Lew as the barbarian leader, Kim Chan as Mulan's father and Don 'The Dragon' Wilson as the Emperor!"

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sadly its only coming first to disney + ? And then hidden behind a special paywall too :((

Im not going to pay 30dollar extra just to unlock the movie+ the disney + normal cost too. Sad way disney.

That plus the +re-gendering+ of 1 character ^^ which i rly do not like !

• Like 1

Watched this today. Spoiler-free review

I think it was good, the first hour really flew by, I was really liking it. Then the movie just goes through the motions for the rest of the runtime in a particularly unimpressive climax. What a shame because I was really into it at first. All the quiet moments in the middle worked very well.

I was waiting for an epic moment, any epic moment, and yet, nothing of significance happened, at least to my expectations.

Oh well. Still good but I wish it was better.

Stunts - 68/100 

Narrative - 61/100 | I feel like this movie can't decide whether it wants to be a war drama or a fairy tale... to its detriment.

Fight Choreography - 80/100 | The actress was really good at looking pretty but not so much at selling her action scenes. It's like she's trying too hard to be gracious and elegant but that's not what great action is about. It needs kinetic energy. It was indeed filmed very well overall (no awful shaky cam, god I hate this thing), but the actress wasn't committed enough. Everyone else was though. I guess that's what happens when you cast a fashion model in an action role.

Enjoyment - 68/100 | All hail Donnie Yen, he rocks here as usual. I absolutely loved the cameo at the end, really thoughtful.

Great production design and good action, not so great writing.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2020 at 10:25 PM, DrNgor said:

Also, I checked the website for The Asylum (theaslym.cc) and I was disappointed to see that they have a Top Gun mockbuster ready, and did an Aladdin mockbuster, but there's no Mulan mockbuster in the works. Boo, people! I'd love to see what unknown or washed-up Asian celebrities they'd get for that. "The Asylum's Mulan!!! Starring Devon Aoki as Mulan, Robin Shou as the chief military officer, James Lew as the barbarian leader, Kim Chan as Mulan's father and Don 'The Dragon' Wilson as the Emperor!"

Or they could've just bought the rights to Matchless Mulan, a new chinese VOD-movie that's not at all bad and which I enjoyed a lot more than the bland and lifeless Disney borefest.

Edited by kami
  • Like 2

Oops they did it again... Why Disney! What's up with these liveless remakes of disney classics. While it started out fairly well it quickly turned into a boring mess. The editing is all over the place and the CGI for Disney standards very supbar. Also the inclusion of a witch felt very distracting and completely unnecessary. I have to admit I'm really disappointed with the end product. The potential was there but everything feels so rushed and glossed over. Donnie and Jet did what little they could with their screen time. Jason Scoot Lee was pretty good as the main villain. However to me Mulan's father played by Tzi Ma was the real star. Another failed opportunity to turn an interesting story into a good live-action remake. Has anybody seen the 2009 version below? Seems to be the one closest to the original Mulan.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, laagi said:

Oops they did it again... Why Disney! What's up with these liveless remakes of disney classics. While it started out fairly well it quickly turned into a boring mess. The editing is all over the place and the CGI for Disney standards very supbar. Also the inclusion of a witch felt very distracting and completely unnecessary. I have to admit I'm really disappointed with the end product. The potential was there but everything feels so rushed and glossed over. Donnie and Jet did what little they could with their screen time. Jason Scoot Lee was pretty good as the main villain. However to me Mulan's father played by Tzi Ma was the real star. Another failed opportunity to turn an interesting story into a good live-action remake. Has anybody seen the 2009 version below? Seems to be the one closest to the original Mulan.

Oh gee and here i was kinda expecting Donnie and Jet to team up to fight. Oh well there goes my favorite superheroes in the flim...

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 11:39 PM, SpartainX said:

Oh gee and here i was kinda expecting Donnie and Jet to team up to fight. Oh well there goes my favorite superheroes in the flim...

Funny you should mention this because they pretty much turned her into a superhero (Chi). Maybe she'll be the newest memeber of the chinese avengers :coveredlaugh

• Haha 1

these operations remind me so much of the bankrupt ones like: Forbidden Kingdom. I don't understand how these stars can't get away from accomplishing certain things (I know, money), anyone knows there's going to be a disappointing movie. A waste of big actors, lots of special effects and disappointing children's films. I don't think I'll see it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, laagi said:

Funny you should mention this because they pretty much turned her into a superhero (Chi). Maybe she'll be the newest memeber of the chinese avengers :coveredlaugh

I heard they that and i'm like, well they mght as well just make Mulan apart of their Chinese Avengers and make her the leader.

OpiumKungFuCracker

sorry guys but this was cringe. Is jet li 1000 years old in this movie? Do yourselves a favor and just watch the 2009 Mulan. Or better yet watch the animation.  

29 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Do yourselves a favor and just watch the 2009 Mulan. Or better yet watch the animation.  

I'll watch it for completist's sake, but I'll probably respond by telling people to watch the animated film instead. The 2009 film was so drab and devoid color (to me) that I found instantly forgettable.

• Like 2

I wasn't expecting much of this movie despite the movie having Donnie and Jet in there. Still, I was underwhelmed as a whole. Not a bad movie like so many people have said but still a movie that could've been much better. Jet was alright (his action moment in the end was cool) and Donnie could've been given proper fight scenes instead of proper demo scenes (which were still good to see). Overall, the 1998 animated movie crushes this one.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

Anybody else notice that Jet Li's voice seem to be dubbed? Also if I'm not mistaken the background actors throughout seem to be speaking Mandarin. While the main actors spoke english. Just a small example of so many odd choices by Disney.

• Like 2

Things just seem to be getting worse for Mulan. Not only did it bomb at the chinese box office but many have "called to arms" to boycott Mulan once again. However this time it wasn't because of lead actress Liu Yifei but the entire production which was largely filmed in Xinjiang. If you're unfamiliar with this particular region, China has been accused of building and operating re-education camps for the largely muslim minority called the Uyghurs. This is nothing new to be honest and has been a constant among many other human rights violations. I may sound like a total dick here but seriously this is where we draw the line? I mean human rights and China? Did I miss something here. Largely every government in the world has been bending over for China simply because they want to do business with them. When was the last time you had your iPhone in your hand and were thinking of human rights. Yeah that's right it's still Made in China. I find it extremly hypocritical to boycott a production of a movie and at the same time as a consumer buying (cheap) and using products from China. I always feel like the western governments are scolding China like a little Child but eventually letting them of pretty much with everything they want. Sorry probably wrong thread for this rant but just had to get this off my chest! If you want to boycott the movie do it because simply put it's another pile of steaming crap from Disney.

• Like 1