Disney's Mulan (2020) - Crystal Liu Yifei, Donnie Yen, Jet Li, Yoson An, Jason Scott Lee, Gong Li

AlbertV

I'm so hyped for this movie! So many great Actors and Actresses signing on for it. I might actually go see this at the theater when it comes out(Something I rarely do) =D 

• Like 1

Jet Li appeared on the TV show A Date with Luyu and he said it was his 15-year old daughter Jada Li who convinced him to appear in Mulan. Li will play the Emperor of China in the film.

From JayneStars

Earlier in April, Jet was confirmed to star in Disney’s live-action movie Mulan. However, he confessed he had no intentions to partake in it originally because the script and the pay didn’t appeal to him. The father of four revealed it was his youngest daughter, Jada Li, who changed his mind because of one thing she said.

“My 15-year-old daughter asked me, ‘Are you short on money? If you aren’t in dire need of money, and if there is a company like Disney who wants to film a story regarding Chinese culture, why don’t you participate in it?” Jet shared.

Her questions made him speechless. Then in the first time in 15 years, Jada asked him (straightforwardly), “Can you act in this movie for me?”

Eventually, Jet succumbed to the idea when his other daughter told him, “Do it for the both of us.”

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Great picture. I know they won't have a fight scene together (probably won't have ever again) but just seeing them reunite is something of joy to behold!

• Like 3

Was hoping to see Donnie and Jet in there. Oh well... On to the next trailer...

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

Drunken Monk

The trailer is very good, in my opinion. It looks like a Disney-fied wu xia film and I think that’s great. Looks beautiful too.

• Like 3

One might argue that this thread could be moved to the Modern Martial Arts Films section.

Nice trailer, btw.

• Like 2

You can't own the rights to historical fact. Anyone can make a film about Mulan; Little Mermaid; Beauty and the Beast; Hunchback of Notre Dame; The Jungle Book; Sleeping Beauty; Cinderella; Aladdin; Pocahontas; Hercules...the source material is either historical fact or in the public domain. That said, supporting characters created by Disney are copyrighted. 

If I wanted to make a Mulan film with Brazilian actors of Asian descent, with the Brazilian NE standing in for the Gobi, I could. If I include a sassy dragon and a cricket for comic relief, Disney could sue me.

• Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker

No eddie murphy? Sorry, I'll pass i seen it already when it was called crouching tiger and hero.😜

• Like 2

Dare I say it... the teaser looks amazing. I love it! I was really getting worried after the recent Disney live-action adaptions. After an initial view, I would've not even known it was a Disney production. Which is a good thing at least to me. It has a more mature feel, hope it keeps this!

• Like 5

Article on Chinese reaction to the new Mulan trailer at https://variety.com/2019/film/asia/mulan-disney-crystal-liu-yifei-mushu-china-1203264522/ 

"The internet in China has exploded with excitement over Disney's viral new 'Mulan' trailer, but some have bemoaned the glaring historical and geographic inaccuracies in the short clip...  Most on social media were thrilled to catch their first glimpse of mainland-brn Crystal Liu Yifei in the titular role...  The trailer even spawned a new meme of Mulan's exaggerated betrothal makeup, with people posting photos of themselves done up in her fever-red cheeks and yellow forehead paint...  But the general excitement has been tempered by some serious criticism.  The original Mulan tale comes from a ballad about a girl born in northern China during the Northern and Southern dynasties period, around the 5th century A.D. ...  Yet the Disney trailer shows Mulan living in a round 'tulou' house, a traditional communal living structure of the Hakka people unique to coastal, southern Fujian province... more than a thousand years later... 'This mess of mixing unrelated Oriental elements is really disrespectful of non-Western cultures and audiences'...  Disappointment that there appears to be no sign of the beloved Mushu character also abounded...  The [Chinese] reactions to 'Mulan' have been much more positive than those [Chinese reactions] to Disney's decision to cast black actress Halle Bailey as Ariel in its upcoming live-action 'The Little Mermaid.'  Major Chinese newspaper The Global Times referred to her as 'colored,' while others on social media expressed outrage and other racist sentiments." 

• Like 2

Mulan has now gotten political.  "Crystal Liu Yifei posted a message of support on Chinese social media for the Hong Kong police force."  "The post received over 72,000 likes and over 65,000 shares in less than 24 hours.  Outside of China, however, the hashtag #BoycottMulan has begun to trend on Twitter and Instagram."  "Facebook and Twitter said Monday [August 19, 2019] that they had deleted a network of fake accounts used by China to sow political discord over Hong Kong's pro-democracy, anti-police brutality protests.  The accounts also were used to share pro-Beijing rhetoric in response to the Hong Kong-initiated boycott of the Walt Disney Co.'s upcoming film Mulan, some of the tweet examples shared by Twitter reveal."  More at https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hong-kong-protestors-call-disney-boycott-mulan-star-voices-support-police-crackdown-1232216  and https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/twitter-bans-accounts-used-by-china-mulan-boycott-hong-kong-protestors-1233176

• Like 2

On 7/8/2019 at 6:58 PM, DrNgor said:

One might argue that this thread could be moved to the Modern Martial Arts Films section.

Anyone else think this thread would be more suited to the Modern Martial Arts cinema forum?.

I'm with @DrNgor on this one.

• Like 1

Still really digging the look of this. Although the new trailer had some elements in it which I found too distracting and displaced. Then again it might just be me. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Poor Jet Li. It looks like he's been horribly dubbed for the movie.

To be fair, while he's obviously dubbed, I don't think he badly dubbed. The voice fits him, it's just that's it way too fluent in English to be him.

• Like 2

I thinking because Jet's real voice was too light for an emperor? A heavy voice for such a character would be fitting in this case.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2