You can now admit this happened to you W/ this Shaw outing.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

13778_10152653265256954_5467868337087941645_n.jpg?oh=fa677a670327d01525ea8bba136cffa2&oe=55AEF7B5&__gda__=1437329780_b22576bc12406f5c96d36c379e3f44bc

vma-crying-8.gif

What other Shaw's put you in the above state of mind. BOO HOO HOOO!

:bigsmile::xd::wink::tongue::cry::

GD Y-Y

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Golden Swallow, good guys finish last. :(

Sword of Swords. This movie contains a pretty heinous act by the villains at the end.

Secret Executioner

The scene where an old man is trying to sell his daughter to a brothel in The Pirate. The people in the town where the pirates led by Ti Lung stopped are so poor and so desperate they sell their children to have money, and the brothel guy offers next to nothing for the guy's daughter so he refuses to let her go.

The acting in this scene is really poignant, you can really feel the father's despair.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I don't think there was a shaw movie that moved me emotionally with tears. Most of them are heroic and inspire me to be the best hero that I can be. Die with honor, that sort of thing. Bless your heart GD-YY!!!

David Chiang's death in The Heroic Ones.

Ti Lung's death in Dead End.

David Chiang's death in Deadly duo (if I'm not mistaken).

Both Ti Lung and David Chiang's deaths in The duel.

David Chiang's death in Have sword will travel.

Fu Sheng's death in Shaolin disciples.

Ti Lung's death in Convict killer.

A place to call home

The younger generation

Li Ching and Yueh Hua's deaths in Vengeance of a snow girl

Wang Yu's death in My son

Lovers' destiny

Blue skies

Auntie Lan

Sorrow of the gentry

And there must be other ones that don't come to my mind at this moment.

I can't say that I cried all my tears, but I was very sad...

Secret Executioner

Re The Heroic Ones: I'd say David Chiang's death was so gruesome it lost some of its emotional impact because of gore I'd find exaggerated - I mean, how much blood did this guy have ?! Otherwise, I found myself surprised by the context in which he died and in spite of the OTT gore, it was a painful scene to watch just because of how horrible such a death must be.

Re Have Sword, Will Travel: I found the montage before he gets in the tower a moving moment too - it seems like the character has lost faith in life and the fact he may get killed and die in horrible pain doesn't matter to him anymore. The death scene fits the "heroic" stuff OKFC mentionned: he's badly hurt and needs assistance, but he prefers concealing his injuries and riding off on his own. I remember not liking the movie that much (essentially because I couldn't stand Ti Lung's character), but the fate of this character is indeed very tragic and made for an emotional moment.

Shaolivevil

A number of you have sited David Chaing's death in The Heroic Ones as especially emotional, which I wholeheartedly concur. To me, nobody dies better than David Chiang!

Here's a few that stood out for me:

David Chaing's execution in The Blood Brothers

David Chiang's death in Vengeance

David Chaing and Ti Lung's death in The Duel

David Chiang, Chen Kuan Tai, and Danny Lee's death in The Savage 5

Alexander Fu Sheng's death in The Chinatown Kid

Wang Chung in The Delinquent

Lung Tien Chiang's death in Flag of Iron

7 Man Army

All Men are Brothers (It was poignant with Ku Feng's final line at the end in the English dub, "Mission accomplished but still, I've lost too many good men today...)

Killer Meteor
Re The Heroic Ones: I'd say David Chiang's death was so gruesome it lost some of its emotional impact because of gore I'd find exaggerated - I mean, how much blood did this guy have ?! .

"Yet who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him?" - Macbeth, William Shakespeare

Morgoth Bauglir

The end of What Price Honesty always gets to me. It's tragic but with a bit of joy in the final frame.

The end of What Price Honesty always gets to me. It's tragic but with a bit of joy in the final frame.

Another Shaw that I hear nothing but good about that always seems to escape me when I go to get new stuff.. I need to start writing stuff down! Haha.

No one else felt bad for Lo Lieh in The Golden Swallow?!

I'd also mention Tiger Killer, Ku Feng's poor character has a shitty life, but he has a brother that loves him. Damn, that's a good movie!

The Dragon
Top of the list for me, by far, is Lily Li in The Bastard.

That's a pretty damned good one there...

Along with Ti Lung in The New One-armed Swordsman.

Betty Pei Ti

Sorry to say that, but I never cried at the end of a SB-movie!

I was sad, indeed, several times especially when the person Fu Sheng's portraying was dying. But that's all! :wink:

With SB action movies, yes The Bastard is really sad overall and yeah Lo Lieh got a raw deal in Golden Swallow (Cheng Pei Pei!!!............ that was sooooooo unfair but Lo Lieh was vindicated in Lady Hermit - very lucky sod - I envied him)

Blood Brothers leaves a bitter taste overall so does Sword Of Swords and The Silver Fox but Tai Chi Boxer just makes you wanna tear your hair,trash your living room then bang your head against the wall :2:

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Chen Wu-fu was actually a real student of Tai Chi prior to his entrance into film making and had been a successful martial arts competitor. This was his first starring role after appearing in All Men Are Brothers (1973). Sadly, he took his own life shortly after he finished The Shadow Boxer and ended what surely would have been a very successful career in martial arts films. He certainly had the looks, the build, and the skills to make his performance in The Shadow Boxer a success.

From Mark Pollards review.

Very sad.

GD Y-Y

Tex Killer
I don't think there was a shaw movie that moved me emotionally with tears. Most of them are heroic and inspire me to be the best hero that I can be. Die with honor, that sort of thing. Bless your heart GD-YY!!!

I am with you there. I do not think either those endings was meant audience to feel sad about fate of heroes but instead to leave cinema appreciating their heroism and thinking what a fight that was and bad guys got what they deserved:wink:

With SB action movies, yes The Bastard is really sad overall and yeah Lo Lieh got a raw deal in Golden Swallow (Cheng Pei Pei!!!............ that was sooooooo unfair but Lo Lieh was vindicated in Lady Hermit - very lucky sod - I envied him)

Blood Brothers leaves a bitter taste overall so does Sword Of Swords and The Silver Fox but Tai Chi Boxer just makes you wanna tear your hair,trash your living room then bang your head against the wall :2:

...........oops.....Shadow Boxer that is.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Thus far:

the one character who gets me crying is Buqun from Secret Service of the Imperial Court. From the moment he makes the decision to die for his brother and clan to his heroic sacrifice, water works. Lo Meng is so achingly good here, his acting is stoic and subtle. When he says Lets go to worship mom, all napkins are soaked until he dies. :sad:

Archived