Korean revenge movies

JCLegend86

Can any of you recommend me korean movies with a revenge plot or something similar to these movies?

-I saw the devil

-Oldboy

-Sympathy for mr. vengeance

-Battle Royale

-The man from nowhere

-Bedewilled

-The yellow sea

-The chaser

-A bittersweet life

I like the unpredictability and the fact that they doesnt have to have a happy ending.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

Hey JCLegend86, well you've come to the right country...Korea has pretty much owned the revenge genre for a long time now. I'd say you'd have a hard time going wrong with any of the below movies, and once you've got through watching these, it shouldn't take too much effort to think of 10 more! -

The Last Witness (dir. Lee Du-yong, 1980)

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (dir. Park Chan-wook, 2005)

A Dirty Carnival (dir. Yoo Ha, 2006)

Soo (dir. Choi Yang-il, 2007)

No Mercy (dir. Kim Hyeong-joon, 2010)

The Unjust (dir. Ryoo Seung-wan, 2010)

Confession of Murder (dir. Jeong Byeong-gil, 2012)

New World (dir. Park Hoon-jeong, 2013)

Man on High Heels (dir. Jang Jin, 2014)

A Hard Day (dir. Kim Seong-hoon, 2014)

ShaOW!linDude

And don't forget Outlaw. You should watch that, too. I watched it, and it tanked, and I was miserable, and I want someone to be miserable with me. So watch that one, too.

DO NOT WATCH THAT MOVIE!

kingofkungfu2002

The Beast

Broken

Man Of Vendetta

I Am A Dad (aka I Am Father)

Princess Aurora

Don't Cry Mommy

Azooma

Sunflower

Days Of Wrath

A Love (aka Sarang)

One Armed Boxer

I think there's a difference here between just listing Korean movies which have a revenge plot, and movies which contain a revenge plot and are actually worth watching.

Some of the movies mentioned haven't had a single good word said about them, both by genre fans on these forums nor in any professional review you can find on the web, so there's a definite difference between what fills the criteria of being a revenge flick and weather it's actually a good movie.

'The Man from Nowhere' spawned a number of, in some cases, embarassingly inferior copy-cat movies, which I'd say 'The Beast', 'Man of Vendetta', 'I Am a Dad', 'Don't Cry Mommy', 'Azooma' (and although it hasn't been mentioned yet, also 'A Company Man') all fall into the category of. The model is the same - someone who is near and dear to the main character is kidnapped, main character tracks down the people responsible, main character dishes out retribution to them in an uncompromising and merciless manner.

If you want to watch Korean movies due to their unperdictability, steer well clear of these knock-offs, as if you've seen 'The Man from Nowhere', you know how things are going to turn out.

I think there's a difference here between just listing Korean movies which have a revenge plot, and movies which contain a revenge plot and are actually worth watching.

Some of the movies mentioned haven't had a single good word said about them, both by genre fans on these forums nor in any professional review you can find on the web, so there's a definite difference between what fills the criteria of being a revenge flick and weather it's actually a good movie.

'The Man from Nowhere' spawned a number of, in some cases, embarassingly inferior copy-cat movies, which I'd say 'The Beast', 'Man of Vendetta', 'I Am a Dad', 'Don't Cry Mommy', 'Azooma' (and although it hasn't been mentioned yet, also 'A Company Man') all fall into the category of. The model is the same - someone who is near and dear to the main character is kidnapped, main character tracks down the people responsible, main character dishes out retribution to them in an uncompromising and merciless manner.

If you want to watch Korean movies due to their unperdictability, steer well clear of these knock-offs, as if you've seen 'The Man from Nowhere', you know how things are going to turn out.

Thanx a lot for the advice. I thought "The Man from Nowhere" was pretty good, but like you say, I dont want to watch 10 other knockoffs.

I got to see "Confession of Murder" and "A Hard Day" yesterday, and they were pretty good. Kicking the sunday off with "No Mercy"

Keep recommend me movies if you like. I also enjoy most human thrillers and movies where girls vanishes/gets abducted (similar to Breakdown/Girl With The Dragon Tattoo/The Vanishing).

kingofkungfu2002

I never take any notice of reviews...I just like what I like. If I took notice of many so called 'professional reviews' then I'd have missed out on a lot of good movies.

A lot of people have this notion that Koreans can do no wrong and that their films are superior to everything else, but they have churned out their fair share of crap. Man of Vendetta and I Am a Dad certainly fall into that category.

One Armed Boxer
A lot of people have this notion that Koreans can do no wrong and that their films are superior to everything else, but they have churned out their fair share of crap. Man of Vendetta and I Am a Dad certainly fall into that category.

Yet these 'professional reviews' say otherwise, so like I say, you just make up your own mind.

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/man-of-vendetta-2010-movie-review/

http://www.asianmovieweb.com/en/reviews/i_am_a_dad.htm

I stand corrected! Of course I agree all opinions are subjective. That being said, the overwhelming number of movies that I tend to watch are Korean, and like Keung for me 'Man of Vendetta' and 'I Am a Dad' fail to provide any of the reasons why I love watching their movies. I find it hard to look at them as anything other than sub-standard 'The Man from Nowhere' rip-offs.

I got to see "Confession of Murder" and "A Hard Day" yesterday, and they were pretty good. Kicking the sunday off with "No Mercy"

Glad you enjoyed them! Look forward to hearing your thoughts on 'No Mercy'.

Keep recommend me movies if you like. I also enjoy most human thrillers and movies where girls vanishes/gets abducted (similar to Breakdown/Girl With The Dragon Tattoo/The Vanishing).

A few other recommendations -

Friend (dir. Kwak Kyung-taek, 2001)

No Blood, No Tears (dir. Ryoo Seung-wan, 2002)

Enemy at the Dead End (aka 'Desire to Kill) (dir. Cho Won-hee & Kim Sang-haw, 2009)

Moss (dir. Kang Woo-suk, 2010)

Gangnam Blues (dir. Yoo Ha, 2015)

Great thread. I have become very fond of K- revenge dramas. I too tend to like films more than most reviewers. But really everyone has their own tastes.

As for my recommendations. Most have been said already. But I just reviewed Hwayi: A Monster Boy on my podcast. Its a revenge flick that I enjoyed. A little different. Also check out Broken. My next podcast will have a review of The Unjust which is a must see.

Glad you enjoyed them! Look forward to hearing your thoughts on 'No Mercy'.

A few other recommendations -

Friend (dir. Kwak Kyung-taek, 2001)

No Blood, No Tears (dir. Ryoo Seung-wan, 2002)

Enemy at the Dead End (aka 'Desire to Kill) (dir. Cho Won-hee & Kim Sang-haw, 2009)

Moss (dir. Kang Woo-suk, 2010)

Gangnam Blues (dir. Yoo Ha, 2015)

Got a "No Mercy" version without english subs so ended up watching "A Crazy Carnival" instead. I liked it, but it was a little stretched, allthough a good movie.

Thanx for all the recommendations.

One Armed Boxer
Got a "No Mercy" version without english subs so ended up watching "A Crazy Carnival" instead. I liked it, but it was a little stretched, allthough a good movie.

Thanx for all the recommendations.

You mean 'A Dirty Carnival' right?:tongue:

'Gangnam Blues' is from the same director, and well worth a watch. In my opinion it betters 'A Dirty Carnival' thanks to the epic scope of its storyline.

You mean 'A Dirty Carnival' right?:tongue:

'Gangnam Blues' is from the same director, and well worth a watch. In my opinion it betters 'A Dirty Carnival' thanks to the epic scope of its storyline.

Yeah my bad :P Too many new titles at once. I will check "Gangnam Blues" out aswell :D

Archived