Lets talk about fights!

paimeifist

I might speculate and think that since the film is not as widely respected as Young Master (including my Jackie himself; the film itself was not a flop as many people have wrote, it made a decent amount at the HK BO) that fight scene is underrated.

From what I remember, the film was actually a success in Japan and helped Chan establish his Japanese following.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DragonClaws
Relooking at this: it sure is done well. As you mentioned the use of location is superb: the combination of wide and close quarter fights (especially on the second level), ladders, height, beams and use of props (sandbags, rock like shuttlecock referencing earlier scenes, trap door, baskets, basket-tops). The height gives it a multi-dimension feel and a more dangerous feel.

I might speculate and think that since the film is not as widely respected as Young Master (including my Jackie himself; the film itself was not a flop as many people have wrote, it made a decent amount at the HK BO) that fight scene is underrated.

Really need to see this one again its been literally years since I saw this. It a shame the rest of the film does not hold up to the same standard as that two on one fight. Dragon Lord was also Chan's first film to feature outtakes during the credits sequence.

I seem to recall reading he got into the Guiness Book Of World Records for all the multiple takes he did for the one single shot in the Jianzi game scene?.

Drunken Monk
Another fight I don't think gets enough recognition is the 2-on-2 in Magnificent Butcher. I'm sure some of you guys know what I'm talking about...

This is my favourite fight of all time. In my opinion it's absolutely flawless. Lam Ching Ying's fan work is equal to Adam Cheng's in that fight. Everything is so dead on: the rhythm, the choreography, the weapons... I can watch it over and over and, in my opinion, it outdoes the final fight quite significantly.

How about the opening fight in "Rebellious Reign"? It's rare for a film to open with such an amazing shapes-heavy fight scene. Great stuff.

Morgoth Bauglir

How about the opening fight in "Rebellious Reign"? It's rare for a film to open with such an amazing shapes-heavy fight scene. Great stuff.

Oh hell yeah. This fight is intense and intricate.

This is my favourite fight of all time. In my opinion it's absolutely flawless. Lam Ching Ying's fan work is equal to Adam Cheng's in that fight. Everything is so dead on: the rhythm, the choreography, the weapons... I can watch it over and over and, in my opinion, it outdoes the final fight quite significantly.

The moment where Lam lowers the fan and Yuen's foot is waiting for his face is pretty classic.

The moment where Lam lowers the fan and Yuen's foot is waiting for his face is pretty classic.

yes very good indeed but my favorite is jack long vs mark long in Mystery of Chessboxing. just superb and mark's line Dont Preach To Me a classic indeed.

masterofoneinchpunch

Rewatching this right now I have to agree: it is done quite well. I tend to enjoy fan work when it is done well. I also always like the acrobatic Peking Opera influenced choreography from those guys, especially with the Monkey King inspired staff work (interesting to compare to the more realistic pole work that Phillip Ko does in Tiger Over Wall.)

I liked the elbow weapons from Lam. Favorite hidden weapons:

CF_Guess15.jpg

Damn you guys, I have too much stuff I haven't watched for you to be making me want to revisit shit! Meng Fei is also very impressive with a fan in "Shaolin King Boxer".

Let's bring some Shaw flavor to this thread! One of my favorite fights, and one that I feel doesn't get the love it deserves is the finale of Dirty Ho. 3 villains and 2 heroes (already very unique), and the way Lo Lieh and his lackeys (I sadly can't remember who played them) pass the guan dao between one another is pretty crazy, it is so smooth sometimes you have to rewind it to see when it changes hands! This has to be one of the best fights involving multiple people fighting each other, they all get a piece of the action, and it is all done very smoothly. Wong Yue does a good job, and Lo Lieh puts on one of the most impressive displays with the Guan Dao I have seen (dare I say rivaled only by few, ie. Lu Feng). Gordon Liu is masterful as usual, and does everything ON ONE LEG, as his character is supposed to be injured.. There is some crazily smooth passing of the staff between the two heroes as well.

Text can't do it justice as usual, so just do what I do.. Watch it, then watch it again, and again, and again..and...when did he get that weapon? Ah okay, again.

:tongue:

One of the most intricate, well choreographed fights ever, and a great example of why Lau Kar Leung is the king! I bet the actors were very frustrated at times shooting this one!

Archived