Manhunt (2017) - New John Woo movie

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

BG_19-03_03.jpg

1904171_927170187313705_4112516945819313912_n.jpg?oh=698b2bf9b6b6916ce6bd140e1c984616&oe=55B70EE5&__gda__=1437605412_65c1bde3831ec0dca27000282d3e6d3f

YouTube video announcing the remake of a Japanese film by the same name.

1HIy8vvsZTM

GD Y-Y

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

This should probably be in another section as it looks like it's not going to be a martial arts film but, rather, a gun heavy action thriller.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
This should probably be in another section as it looks like it's not going to be a martial arts film but, rather, a gun heavy action thriller.

DM you are probably right, maybe World Cinema.

I will let the moderators put this in its rightful place.

Thanks,

GD Y-Y right

Wow.

Kimi yo fundo no kawa wo watare aka Manhunt is a very good movie.

I am waiting to see who he pick to play the role that Ken Takakura played.

Does anyone know if Manhunt was ever release with English subs. The version I have and the ones I have seen have no English subs.

If not, then hopefully with this remake it will be re-release with English subs.

And yes, it (the original) is an action/drama/mystery & not martial arts.

Check the Manhunt Facebook page, listed as Manhunt by John Woo, for some new photos including the first one showing guns. Unfortunately they're saying the release date isn't until Chinese New Years 2018, Feb 16th

Now they're saying Manhunt may get moved up to a September Chinese release according to The Golden Rock twitter account and moviexclusive has it listed as opening Oct 5th in Singapore 

On 7/20/2017 at 9:50 PM, mark187 said:

Now they're saying Manhunt may get moved up to a September Chinese release according to The Golden Rock twitter account and moviexclusive has it listed as opening Oct 5th in Singapore 

Both dates should be good for a release.

That would give it a release around 2 of the largest Chinese holidays.

Last Weekend in September in China - which will be right before The National Day Holiday, which this year will be a "Golden Week" Holiday (2nd largest Holiday period in China). 

October 5th in Singapore  - a day after the Mid-Autumn Festival/Moon Festival

Manhunt will have its world premiere st the Venice international film festival! Stay tuned for the HK release date via Media Asia, as well as any word on whether it'll also screen at Toronto film fest!!

I'll be the first one to say: This looks like shit. lol Hope the actual movie is better than the trailer. John Woo doesn't have the late 80s/early 90s (or Chow Yun Fat) to make him stand out anymore. Time has left him. Honestly, they could have slapped anyone's name on as director and I'd still think it looked below average. Waverunners? WTF? It doesn't even look like a good popcorn flick. It seriously looks like it's stuck in the "Face/Off cinematic universe" (in 2017 that's not a good thing). New trailer....

1 hour ago, mpm74 said:

I'll be the first one to say: This looks like shit. lol Hope the actual movie is better than the trailer. John Woo doesn't have the late 80s/early 90s (or Chow Yun Fat) to make him stand out anymore.

Fingers crossed it's just a bad trailer, Woo raised the bar so high, he's got a tough job surpassing/equalling his own work.

I'm just hoping for an entertaining movie, he's already been there done that in terms of reinvigorating the action genre.

I am withholding judgement.

This is not "just another" movie that John woo is making.

John Woo said that he wanted to make a movie dedicated to Ken Takakura. He said that Chow Yun-fat's image from A Better Tommorow was inspired by Ken Kakakura's image and style. He is remaking "Kimi yo fundo no kawa wo watare" (Manhunt), one of Kakakura's most famous role/movie shown in China to commemorate Takakura. I think John Woo will stay true to the original movie.

That shoddy cinematography again... Let's go back to eye-catching stuff like Trivisa or the 90s.

In all honesty, beside the slomo gunplay shots this doesn't look remotely like a Woo movie. It has PRC printed all over it. I think I'm passing on this one.

Just watched the original movie with Ken Takakura, there is material for a good movie. I just expect less doves. There are no Woo movies I didn't like (except paycheck and many of the hollywood ones). I even like the crossing. But let's be honest, that won't be ABT 4 or Hard Boiled 2, times have changed. And Woo's old. Time(s) matter(s).

I was hoping to come here and report that Manhunt was great, but unfortunately I'm gonna have to side with the above City on Fire review! 5/10

• Administrator

I just read this review from IMDB, and it is not good news... :squigglemouth:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4537986/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_2

3/10 stars

A deliriously stupid return to the action-crime thriller genre for John Woo

14 September 2017 | by (Canada) – See all my reviews

There was fair reason to be excited for "Manhunt". It was John Woo's return to the modern crime action film, his signature style, after more than a decade away from it. On top of that, it was his first film of this style made in Asia since 1992's "Hard Boiled," in many ways the apex of his powers. However, while "Manhunt" checks a lot of boxes on what one would want from a classic John Woo shoot 'em up; a story of a cop and criminal and their relationship with one another, slow motion gunfights, doves, et cetera, in can't help but feel like its only artificially copying the key tropes of Woo's classic films without having the soul embodying it that made his other films action classics.

While no one goes into a Woo film expecting a smart, nuanced story, it is fair to expect that its stupidity is at least kept in check. In his best films, "The Killer," "A Better Tomorrow," and, "Hard Boiled," he briefly indulges in moments of excess and melodrama that are reined in by well written characters and stories that deal with universal themes, such as the conflict between faith and the needs of reality, or the issues with loving one's family in spite of their sometimes heinous actions. Then there are Woo films that use melodrama and stupidity to their advantage, such as, "Face/Off," that are aware of their own ridiculousness and ham it up for maximum effect, aware that it is all they are good for. But "Manhunt" occupies an awkward place that fits successfully into neither area. It's a film with no brain on its shoulders that still seems to take itself too seriously. It's a deadly combination that bring down the film more than anything, although there are still some elements of classic Woo that make it in.

One farmhouse gunfight sequence in the middle of the film is as close as anything Woo has done since "Hard Boiled" to capturing his classic style, with expertly choreographed fighting, excellent use of editing and slow-motion, and inventive use of the space and setting briefly create a classic John Woo bullet-ballet of yore. However, the rest of the action in the film doesn't hold up quite as well. The film's opening scene sets expectations high with its slick, tight camera movement, but unfortunately the rest of the film is plagued with overly tight, shaky camera work that makes the action hard to appreciate. It's a shame, since it was Woo's slick, clean quality to his action that always made him stand above other directors making similar work.

The film also isn't helped by Woo's apparent sudden obsession with digital filmmaking technology. There is nary a shot nor cut in the film that isn't altered by some effect, whether simple cuts are created into crossfades for seemingly no reason, shots are sped up and slowed down at random, creating a jagged, jittery mess, and different coloured filters and visual distortions warping our perception. It appears as if Woo went through every single setting in After Effects just to try everything out, and it is almost never necessary for telling the story efficiently, and often works against it. The story itself is a predictable conspiracy thriller about a pharmaceutical corporation using its products for brainwashing purposes crossed with a classic mistaken identity thriller, but the film's constant need to cut away to other scenes and flashbacks and awkwardly transition in and out of scenes with no sense of pacing or rhythm means that the plot becomes overly complicated when it really never needs to be.

Hanyu Zhang and Stephy Qi both hold their own with fairly naturalistic performances that compliment the more gritty aspects of the story, but Masaharu Fukuyama plays Detective Yamura like a cartoon character, leading for an awkward tension between the scenes he shares with Zhang where their styles never quite match up. It doesn't help either that the film floats between being spoken in Cantonese, Japanese, and English, with none of the actors seeming to have a firm grasp of all of them, leading to some poorly fitting and unconvincing ADR all throughout the film that looks like a bad Kung-Fu dub, except they are being dubbed with the same language they are speaking.

All in all, "Manhunt" really just highlights the sad reality that maybe John Woo doesn't have that special ability that he used to have that made his classic films the classics they are. My only hope is from this experience he can realize that and start focusing on trying to make something new and challenging him that will better suit where he is at now in his career instead of trying and failing to recapture his glory days.

Since it's John Woo returning to the action genre, I will still absolutely be picking this up when it's released and giving it a chance. I mean, hey, I even love the often maligned FACE/OFF! :wink: It's a ridiculously good time with OTT performances and action. Plus Travolta doing his best Nic Cage, and Nic doing his best Travolta? How can you not love it?

Not too bad, not too bad at all. I was worried a little bit at the beginning of the movie to be honest. Expecially after seeing some horrid CGI pigeons :laugh  However, it did pick up from there. Yeah the story is pretty thin. Just enough to keep the movie going. My favourite part without giving too much away was the ranch shoot out. The entire cast did a respecatble job overall. Not great but good.

The movie does suffer from some poor "special effects". But not as bad as other recent efforts (I'm looking at you "Sky on Fire"). Last but not least it was irritating at times to hear the cast speak english. It just kind of took me out of the action each time. Then again that might just be me. I would say this is far better than some make it out to be. Probably not the return of John Woo some wished for but the bar was probably set too high to begin with. In conclusion I'll just quote one of the last lines of the movie "For a better tomorrow"!

OK, the movie is finally out on bluray and DVD

The bad:

Ridiculous script. The whole final twist with the drug is out of this world. Literally.

Horrible English dialogue that made actors struggle

And I guess, that's it

Other than that, I liked the movie. I thought it's the most "John Woo movie" since he left Hong Kong back in the 90s. The soundtrack, the gimmicks(including freeze-frame and ever-present doves), self-quotations and enjoyable action - it's all there. I thought it really has that feel of a 80s HK movie. And it feels so John Woo. The opening sequence, the conversation about old movies, the saxophone, - it really brought back the memories.

The couple of female assassins and their sisterhood - what can be more Hong Kong? The ranch shootout is just great, all those wedding scenes - the movie is full of stuff that we've seen in so many HK movies from the Golden era and yet, I wasn't bored and really welcomed those familiar themes. And I love the way  Woo's camera  moves.

Kurata had one of his best appearances in recent years.

Obviously, not as great as Woo's best efforts, but passable, somewhat enjoyable and nostalgic movie. It worked for me, except for the stupid plot, but that's hardly Woo's fault

On 29/11/2017 at 1:55 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

I just read this review from IMDB, and it is not good news... :squigglemouth:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4537986/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_2

3/10 stars

A deliriously stupid return to the action-crime thriller genre for John Woo

Loved this film. Great action scenes.  Definately one of the most enjoyable films  from 2017. if you enjoy john woo films you should enjoy it. Reviewers were pretty mixed but no one is  better at action scenes than john woo in my opinion . .  Script seemed fine to me. Face off is regarded as  a classic. So no idea  why you say u  even enjoyed the  much maligned face off . . Probably was only maligned on here .Judging by what passes as good films on here. 

4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray Set will be out in Hong Kong around 6/29/2018. This will probably be the definitive physical media version of the film (as Netflix has it in the US) for those that want to own a copy. I won't be buying, as one Netflix viewing was more than enough for me :bs_vomit:

Archived