Which Chiba Film/Pack should I buy Next?

Guest Monkey King 2000

Guest Monkey King 2000

The last few months I have been trying out Sonny Chiba films and have been enjoying them quite a few. I first watched The Killing Machine, which I did not really get on to well with mainly becaase of the action, however, I put this down to it being filmed in 1975. Then I purchased the Shadow Warriors which I thought would be more my think and it was. I am half way through and it is a quality TV series (first MA one I have ever bought). I tend to prefere more historic MA films as opposed to modern day ones. I then purchased the Shogun Collection (SHOGUN'S SAMURAI,SWORDS OF VENGEANCE, SHOGUN'S NINJA, and SHOGUN'S SHADOW). So far I have watched the Shogun Ninja (very good film except the quick dance round the fire!!) and Shoguns Samurai (very good story, but not quite enough of the kind of action I like, ie not battle fights). I also bought the Grindhouse Karate Warriors and Dragon Princess. Again I liked them both, but prefered Karate Warriors, especially the last 45 mins, I am not to keen on the whole exploitative aspects of some of these films! This why so far I have not purchased the Street Fighter films, which leads me onto my question. If you were me which of the below packs would you buy next. The 3 I have been thinking of are below:

Streetfighter Triology - As above not sure on the whole exploitative aspects and also not sure of how good the action is, or if I am keen on the whole Karate fighting, I tend to compare action to HK films (shaw Brothers, Golden Harvest & seasonal films, etc)

The SAMURAI COLLECTION (G.I. SAMURAI, LEGEND OF THE EIGHT SAMURAI, NINJA WARS) - Looks like the Shogun Collection except I do not think these films will be as good as these ones?

Masutatsu Oyama Trilogy - Same as the street fighter for the action and whole exploitation thing.

I am keen to keep buying the BCI DVD's as they are just unbelievable good value for money, however, if there is another Sonny Chiba film out there which has a good DVD available please let me know. I saw a clip on Youtube with him fighting 4 monkey fighters does anyone know which film this is from. Anyway if anyone has any suggestions it would be really appreciated.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest morgoth

The movie with the 4 monkey fighters is called Soul of Chiba. I don't really know anything about it though, just that it looks really weird.

I would recommend Streetfighter. If you don't like the exploitation stuff then this may get you into it. It is hard not to like Sonny Chiba in this movie. He is so good at being the anti-hero. It isn't super intense like Killing MAchine. There are some really good cheesy moments. I love Streetfighter, just don't go into it expecting a masterpiece like Shogun's Samurai.

Guest Chinatown Kid

If you want to see Chiba at his Karate fighting best, The Mas Oyama trilogy is your best bet imo. His fighting looks the most crisp in these films, and the camera isn't to close to the action like in some of his other films. Just don't go into it looking for Hong Kong style action because the Japanese style is different, but still entertaining. Some of Chiba's more exploitative films are The Executioner and of course The Streetfighter films which are not my favorites but they are entertaining nonetheless.

I've never seen Soul of Chiba but Sonny taking on monkey kung fu stylists sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out.

Guest Monkey King 2000

Thanks for the replies I think I will go for the The Mas Oyama trilogy and maybe get Street Fighter at a later date. I hear what you are saying about comparing it to HK action. Below is the clip I found on the Monkey fighters (Sole of Chiba)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPB6-B4Xc4c

Guest Chinatown Kid

Thanks for that clip Monkey King, that was pretty cool. I definately want to see this film now, Sonny sure tore those monkey fighter's asses up! :lol

Archived