Shaw Bros recommendations for a beginner

henge

Hi everyone just watched my first Shaw Bros film last night. Watched 36th chamber of shaolin thought it was amazing just looking for a list of maybe 10 to 20 films to start with and the best available version's of each one.

Cheers in advance ;)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch

Here's a good thread in this section. This gets you plenty to choose from and what people think are their top Shaw films.

The Top Ten Must Own Shaws

If you are looking for DVDs you are most likely going to get the R3 IVL or a R1 version (I have a list of them here -- it is a sticky.)

shaolin swords

as i was told when I first started collecting the movies back in the 90s start off with the Gordon liu and venoms ti lung david chiang flicks then venture off into others its just my opinion you can always just get what you think is interested to you hope that helped :wink:

If you want a well rounded variety, check out the thread masterofoneinchpunch linked.

If you want similar flicks to "The 36th", definitely check out: 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, Fist of the White Lotus, and the sequels to "The 36th Chamber." (return to the 36th, and disciples of the 36th).

Eastern Evil

What ever movies you have seen, key in on some of the supporting actors & see their movies & keep keying in on the actors that catch your eye & branch out into their stuff.

Use this place to check each actor & their filmography.

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/people.asp?id=1761

I started with 'Marco Polo' & 'Shaolin Temple' (1976).

Alexander Fu Sheng was my 1st guy. From there it was Ti Lung, David Chiang, The Venoms. Ku Feng, Lo Lieh, Yueh Hua. Lau Wing, Ling Yun.....many others.

See all the movies these people are in & go from there.

It's a tough mission, but I think you can do it :biggrin:

Drunken Arts

Welcome and you are in the right place, I started my Shaw Bros Journey 2 years ago and the good people on this forum helped me out no end. This forum is a haven of good Shaw info, opinions, reviews, pictures etc

My journey started off [roughly] with these below.. and IMO are very good films, and have even played quite a few of these to a non-MA/Shaw/Asian-film fan and he had a blast with them.

Golden Swallow

The Five Venoms

One Armed Swordsman

Jade Tiger

Shaolin Temple

The Magic Blade

Heroes Of The East

King Boxer

Martial Club

The Lady Hermit

Delightful Forest

Happy Hunting..

Hi everyone just watched my first Shaw Bros film last night. Watched 36th chamber of shaolin thought it was amazing just looking for a list of maybe 10 to 20 films to start with and the best available version's of each one.

Cheers in advance ;)

Hi Henge welcome to the amazing world of SB movies.

As a beginner who has only watched one? SB flick to date and that is The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin which you thought was awesome, well check out the following films below:

8 Diagram Pole Fighters

Heroes Of The East

5 SuperFighters

Cripple Avengers

Shaolin Martial Arts

The Flying Guillotine

The Boxer From Shantung

Vengeance

The Duel

The Lady Hermit

The 14 Amazons

The Magnificent Ruffians

Monkey Kung Fu

Chinatown Kid (International Version)

Shaolin Temple

Shaolin Prince

Martial Club

Death Duel

Fists Of The White Lotus

The Master

Once you graduate from these then get ready to explore the rest of the intriguing SB catalogue and be prepared to be hooked for life :wink:

masterofoneinchpunch
as i was told when I first started collecting the movies back in the 90s start off with the Gordon liu and venoms ti lung david chiang flicks then venture off into others its just my opinion you can always just get what you think is interested to you hope that helped :wink:

I was thinking along these lines as well. If you want to check out a well balanced amount you will want to try several different directors, actors and what surprises many newbies in dealing with Shaws is different genres besides martial arts. I'll list the director and major actor(s) for most of these.

Chang Cheh with Jimmy Wang Yu: The One-Armed Swordsman (1966)

King Hu with Cheng Pei-pei: Come Drink With Me (1966)

Chang Cheh with Ti Lung and David Chiang (sometimes called The Iron Triangle): The Blood Brothers (1973)

Chang Cheh with Alexander Fu Sheng: Disciples of Shaolin (1975)

Chor Yuen with Ti Lung (wuxia based on Ku Long story): The Magic Blade (1976)

Sun Chung with Alexander Fu Sheng: The Avenging Eagle (1978)

Chang Cheh with Venoms: The Five Venoms (1978)

Lau Kar-leung with Lau Kar-fei: Heroes of the East (1978)

Sun Chung: Horror/Marital Arts: Human Lanterns (1982)

Horror/insane/you must watch: The Boxer's Omen (1983)

Crazy wuxia: Bastard Swordsman (1983)

Lau Kar-leung again (since you like 36th): 8 Diagram Pole Fighters (1984)

I've only seen a few of the musicals that were popular in the early and mid 1960s from Shaws and the ones I have seen I've been OK with, but not in love with. I kind of feel the same way about the exploitation films from them as well. I'll think some more of the comedies I have seen from them as well.

Now you can substitute different films that fit my categories, but I think you should see at least one from each.

Eastern Evil

One big piece of advice I'd give is don't get freaked out when going from a Shaolin Cycle movie to a Chor Yuen/Gu Long type Wuxia movie.

They are so opposite so many ways but if you give them each a shot you'll be on your way to liking all the Shaw eras.

Thanks for all the tips I've gone and ordered a few got come drink with me and one armed swordsman on order. I'm now wondering what the best available version of 8 diagram pole fighter is ?

You can't be mistaken if you choose movies with :

Ti Lung/David Chiang or both in the same movie

Chen Kuan Tai

Yueh Hua

Lo Lieh

Chi Kuan Chun

Fu Sheng

And many other ones...

A few titles :

Shaolin hand lock

King eagle

Village of tigers

The young avenger (Shih Szu and Yueh Hua)

Six assassins

Brothers five

Heroic ones

Proud youth

Deadly knives

Angry guest

Clan feuds

Vengeful beauty

Shaolin intruders

Convict killer

Killers clans

Shadow whip

Clans of intrigue

I stop there, there are too many to mention !!!

Eastern Evil

Excellent Choices, especially Clan Feuds. I loved that one :smile2:

'The Lady Assassin' might be my favorite Shaw movie.

Thanks for all the tips I've gone and ordered a few got come drink with me and one armed swordsman on order. I'm now wondering what the best available version of 8 diagram pole fighter is ?

If you can get the Celestial Pictures version of 8 Diagram Pole Fighter that will be great.If not I think the Dragon Dynasty and Deltamac versions are a bit easier to get hold of. Check these links for some info.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=8+diagram+pole+fighters

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diagram-Pole-Fighter-Region-Import/dp/B003G715IK

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/shaw-brothers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shaw-Brothers-Eight-diagram-pole-fighter-1984-CELESTIAL-TAIWAN-ENGLISH-SUB/221692211206?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27705%26meid%3Da34e98ffc36f4be19279516722000e26%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D321623885703

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/DVDs-and-Movies-for-DVD-and-Blu-ray-Disc-Players-/617/i.html?_nkw=shaw+brothers

Best of luck.

Eastern Evil

You can actually get 8 Diagram Pole Fighter on Blue ray, although you'll have to d a bit of checking around.

Wouldn't the Dragon Dynasty release of 8 Diagram be considered "Celestial" as well Kwok Choi?

Technically they should all be " Celestial " but I think by the link I believe people would understand I was referring to the Celestial Pictures IVL dvd to be precise.The various labels could be different in terms of extras, censorship,language,colour system,image quality,aspect ratios etc and since Henge was asking for best available version overall; ( The BD will be great if it was mastered from the highest quality source available and zone free with loads of extras ) unless Henge can read and understand French,Mandarin or Cantonese,it wouldn't make sense to put a link for Les 8 Diagrammes De Wu Lang even though it is " Celestial "

Had a look around for the pole fighter blu ray are there any English friendly editions if not I think I might get the dd DVD ;)

Golden Swallow

The Five Venoms

One Armed Swordsman

Jade Tiger

Shaolin Temple

The Magic Blade

Heroes Of The East

King Boxer

Martial Club

The Lady Hermit

Delightful Forest

Happy Hunting..

This is very good list of films for the beginner...Not only flicks are decent, they are also easily available so not much hunting is needed...

:nerd:

Some titles mentioned in other posts have been OOP long time...

Archived