No hong kong dvds/blurays of early jackie chan movies?

HsuYinFong

I go to the Jackie Chan DVD comparison site a lot and I dont see any hong kong DVDs of the movies he made with lo wei. I see american, uk, french, german, japanese, but hardly any hong kong ones (except region 3 PAL). Do hong kong audiences just not like his older stuff or is there some kind of legal holdup (like what happened with the Adam West Batman series)?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its just lack of interest from the HK public, they just don't care about older films in general from what i have heard.

the stuff was released last in HK as "remastered" VCD so it's not a rights issue. they just don't give a damn in HK indeed...

DragonClaws
I think its just lack of interest from the HK public, they just don't care about older films in general from what i have heard.

In my final year of University I lived with a group of Chinese people in shared student housing. I can confirm they don't have much interest in the older films. They don't hold onto the films of the past like we tend to in the west.

Saying that they did still have a lot of respect for Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. They couldn't get over the fact films like Drunken Master & Way Of The Dragon were available in the U.K on DVD and had a fan base. Because over in China these films only turn up rarely on T.V. They were still into Martial Arts films and downloaded all the latest films and T.V shows.

That sucks. is it all older films or just martial arts?

It seems to be all films sadly....its just the way things seem to be, crap quality VCDs are still available in this day and age when Blu ray has been around for years!!

DragonClaws
It seems to be all films sadly....its just the way things seem to be, crap quality VCDs are still available in this day and age when Blu ray has been around for years!!

I cant get my head round the fact VCD's are still so popular there. Anyone know why they DVD didn't catch on the same over there?.

Probably because they were cheap and many movies were pirated on VCD back in the day.

Spot on; and the VCD players are cheaper with no region hacking issues other than having to change discs halfway which isn't a big deal as it can be taken as a tea or loo break.They are also happy with image quality which is a step up from VHS.

DragonClaws
Probably because they were cheap and many movies were pirated on VCD back in the day.

Spot on; and the VCD players are cheaper with no region hacking issues other than having to change discs halfway which isn't a big deal as it can be taken as a tea or loo break.They are also happy with image quality which is a step up from VHS.

Thanks for clearing that up. No sign of HD coming to China anytime soon then?.

Thanks for clearing that up. No sign of HD coming to China anytime soon then?.

They have Blu-Rays, but those releases are mainly newer films, a select few classic films and a whole lot of upscales.

But still,

Fortune Star is behind the Jackie Chan Beginnings line of DVD's so its obvious that they have the source material. I found the Killer Meteor/New FOF disc at Fry's with a price tag of $2, but it rang up as only $1.

Archived