shaw sound question

shawsound

Hi everyone. I am new here and I was wondering whether the knowledgeable members in this forum could help me. I am currently a Ph.D student studying in Hong Kong and I am trying to do research on the sound history of the Shaw Brothers martial arts films. I am interested in how the sound design and dubbing practice took place. As such, I would like to know who the foley artists, voice dubbers, and sound editors were. And if possible, also get in contact with them. I am still in the exploring phase and it has been quite difficult to get a hold on these information and people. Experience tells me that fans are usually much more knowledgeable than academics when it comes to this kind of detailed info. Therefore, I was wondering whether there are some members on this forum who could help me out :) Many thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor

Two of the English dubbers were Ted Thomas and Rick Thomas - no idea if they are releated!

Eastern Evil
Hi everyone. I am new here and I was wondering whether the knowledgeable members in this forum could help me. I am currently a Ph.D student studying in Hong Kong and I am trying to do research on the sound history of the Shaw Brothers martial arts films. I am interested in how the sound design and dubbing practice took place. As such, I would like to know who the foley artists, voice dubbers, and sound editors were. And if possible, also get in contact with them. I am still in the exploring phase and it has been quite difficult to get a hold on these information and people. Experience tells me that fans are usually much more knowledgeable than academics when it comes to this kind of detailed info. Therefore, I was wondering whether there are some members on this forum who could help me out :) Many thanks!

There is a Shaw documentary that shows a studio full of guys hitting drums, boxes & making FX noises while the movie plays. After that, I guess the voice actors would get their crack.

I'll post it if I can find it.

Archived