Shaw Brothers Studios Saved From Redevelopment

ThunderScore

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This just made my morning. Hopefully it state around for a long time from now, I must visit it one day.

Secret Executioner

Now that is some good news. Was afraid HK was gonna let a cultural landmark be destroyed.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I'm thrilled to hear this news! I was really bummed when I heard they were going to tear it down. Long live the legendary Shaw Brothers Studios! :nerd:

Shaolivevil

**Elated sigh of relief**

Finally some good news after so much bad news for the last longest. I remember the feeling of dread when the news came a few months after Sir Run Run Shaw passed away that the Shaw Studios was set to be demolished by a commercial developer in favor of new hotels and other places. Even if this decision is only temporary, at least this historic site will still stand a little bit longer. I may still get a chance to visit the great Shaws Studio one day...

Found on FB. Here's the latest on the future of the studio grounds...

The reconstruction plan has been in preparation for more than 10 years, because the ancient consultancy committee rated the overall studio as a first-class building in 2015, and separately rated each building, causing the owner to withdraw the application. The owner changed the plan again last year, increasing the original 40 residential buildings to 43, but reducing the number of 3 buildings by 11 floors, mainly 6 to 10 floors, and the number of units remained unchanged.

According to documents from the Town Planning Board, the entire project involved more than 1.37 million square feet, an increase of 7,970 square feet from the 1.366 million square feet approved in 2014. The project is divided into 3 areas. Area A is residential and hotel development, with a plot ratio of 1.64 times. It involves 1.065 million square feet. It is planned to build 37 buildings with 2 to 11 floors and provide 749 residences with an average area of 1,422 square meters. 642 units, 17% more than the 642 units previously approved. The existing Shaw Building is used for commercial and hotel purposes, adding new hotel elements and involving 183 rooms.

The area C is a dormitory with a plot ratio of 1.46 times, involving an area of about 95,000 square feet. It is renovated in the existing three residential buildings and provides 134 quarters with an average usable area of 706 square feet. In the past, approved programs increased by 17%.

As for Area B, which is a non-residential floor covering 215,000 square feet, the original site of the Shaw Administration Building film warehouse and dubbing room will be retained.
Reporter: Gan Jieying

Image1.jpg

Archived