Who's your favorite Yuen son?

paimeifist

Mine is Sunny. I think he has a great combination of acting ability and screen fighting, and he's pretty charismatic.. To go from "Foggy" to "White Tiger"(one of the best characters ever! Lol) so seamlessly is great! With that said, I feel that Corey was the best screen fighter of the bunch, and is a stand out performer every time out, even in tiny roles.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Cheung-Yan. He always tend to play goofy-looking mentors yet still have those mad skills. My favorite has to be the puppeteer in Drunken Tai Chi. But he has played serious roles as well, like one of the Ax Gang bosses in Once Upon a Time in Shanghai. And let's not forget, he trained Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz, Lucy Liu, Crispin Glover, Kelly Lynch, and Demi Moore for the Charlie's Angels flicks and choreographed the playground fight scene between the now married Ben Affleck & Jennifer Garner in Daredevil.

And paimei, you know "Sunny" now goes by the name "Eagle" right? :D and Corey Yuen isn't related to the Yuen Clan. He got Yuen from Yu Jim Yuen's Opera academy. His real name is Ying Ging-Man.

Damn, thanks for the good informative post! I didn't realize Cheung-Yan was also that busy outside of acting, especially today! I do usually find his old scool characters hilarious though! I had seen that Eagle Yuen was one of Sunnys names on hkmdb, but I didn't know he went by that, that's badass. I assumed Shun-Yi was the proper name! Wasn't his character called eagle in the "drunken" movies? (Btw, I've seen all of them except tai chi!).

Holy shit, Corey Yuen isn't a Yuen son! I guess now that you mention it, he doesn't resemble the rest of the family, where the rest of them have a fairly strong resemblance.

I have barely scratched the surface of modern martial arts cinema, but that is interesting that he(Cheung-Yan) has done all that in both HK and internationally.. In sure they're all more active than I realize. Once Upon in Shanghai is one of the recent releases I really thought about getting, and maybe now I will, along with Kung Fu Jungle! Is like to see some stuff other than Donnie Yen, but...he's awesome!

Can anyone of you mention the names of all the Yuen clan members (maybe with pictures?), please ?

Are they Simon Yuen's sons ?

I'm afraid to have a very little knowledge about this family. Are Yuen Biao, Yuen Tak and Yuen Wah part of it ?

Thanks for any answer.

Can anyone of you mention the names of all the Yuen clan members (maybe with pictures?), please ?

I'm afraid to have a very little knowledge about this family. Are Yuen Biao, Yuen Tak and Yuen Wah part of it ?

Thanks for any answer.

Okay:

Yuen Biao, Corey Yuen, Yuen Tak, Yuen Wah, Yuen Bun, Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan, Yuen Qiu, Meng Yuan-Man (Hell'z Wind Staff), and I think Yuen Mo are the "Seven Fortunes" from the same Opera School.

Simon Yuen Siu-Tin's sons are: Yuen Woo-Ping, Yuen Cheung-Yan, Yuen Shun-Yee, Yuen Yat-Chor, Brandy Yuen, and Yuen Lung-Kui.

Thanks again for the info everyone. This crap should be put in the reference forum, haha! I'm glad I'm not the only one who was a little confused by this.

Still, "Eagle Yuen" rocks! But they all do really.

Thanks for any answer.

Well, if Yuen Wah is one of them, then he is my favorite, hands down.

He was just a great actor as well as fighter. I love the guy.

I'm in the same boat, I don't know the details on this family, but I see them all over the place - The dad is great. The quintessential Drunken Master :cool:

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSN6VUv5XtU49oBGITc7QklbU301YwZyFXxZiKFSsJW7BUtbSN

According to Wikipedia:

Simon Yuen is the father of eleven children, six of whom have worked (or still work) in the Hong Kong film industry. The five eldest sons were known collectively as the "Yuen clan" and often worked in combinations on many films:

Yuen Woo-ping - director and action director

Yuen Cheung-yan - actor and action director

Yuen Shun-yee (Sunny Yuen) - actor and action director

Yuen Yat-chor - actor

Yuen Chun-yeung (Brandy Yuen) - actor, stuntman and action director

Yuen Lung-chu - actor

Yuen had two additional sons and three daughters.[1]

Yuen trained in the traditional Peking opera role of Wu-Shen. He began his acting career at age 37, in the first Wong Fei-hung film to star Kwan Tak-hing, Story of Huang Feihong (1949), though his film appearances were rare until the late 1950s. He is best known for portraying mentors and kung fu masters, and featured in almost 150 films throughout his career.

One of his internationally best-known films came late in his career, Drunken Master (1978), in which he played Beggar So (Sam Seed in some English dubs), an old hermit who had mastered the art of drunken boxing, aiding a young Wong Fei-hung, played by Jackie Chan. The role was a reprisal (in all but name) of the one he had played in another of Chan's films, Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (1978). At the time, Drunken Master proved to be the most successful film to feature Chan. The film portrayed Wong Fei-hung as a young and mischievous rascal as opposed to the venerable, Confucian master of kung fu played in many films by Kwan Tak-hing. The movie was a surprise international hit, and greatly helped to boost the career of the then 66 year old actor. Yuen reprised the role of The Beggar So for three further films, Dance of the Drunk Mantis, Story of Drunken Master, and World Of The Drunken Master (in which he had a cameo).

GD Y-Y

Archived