A Look At FORCE OF THE NINJA (1988)

ThunderScore

Only posted here because of its' release date; it really belongs in the "Classic Martial Arts Cinema" folder - not because it's a classic (it's not), but it certainly looks, feels and acts like something made a few years earlier...

b3826ac4d378f2f3ed2a7971e58a84df534d2085.jpg

Mostly filmed in Arizona, I was surprised to learn that part of this was actually shot in Japan. While it's certainly got some nice cinematography (both in Arizona and Japan) and decent production value, on the whole IMO, the film doesn't really offer anything beyond what's come before. According to IMDb, Producer/Writer/Star Douglas Ivan's onscreen credits include ENTER THE NINJA (1981) and the 1983 telefilm THE LAST NINJA. Ivan also did stunts on AMERICAN NINJA (1985) and THE KARATE KID (1984). Only speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doubled Pat Morita - they had similar builds and Ivan's fighting style in FORCE OF THE NINJA reminds me of Mr. Miyagi's fight in THE KARATE KID. His most recent genre credit is 3 LITTLE NINJAS AND THE LOST TREASURE (1990), in which he is once again producing, writing and acting.

The trailer for FORCE OF THE NINJA says it all:

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived