The Best of the Martial Arts Films (DVD)

muppetdanny

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It also seems MediumRare DVD is also releasing this year:

- Amsterdam Kill (Robert Mitchum) on 13 July 2015

- When Taekwondo Strikes (Angela Mao, Sammo Hung, Jhoon Rhee) on 8 Jun. 2015

This is also the same company who released "Armour of God 2", "High Road to China", "Robotrix", "Megaforce" and "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" films a few years back.

Sounds promising:smile:

This should be called Best Of Golden Harvest. Good doc if a little dated now. Poor cover is that the best they can come up with?

muppetdanny
This should be called Best Of Golden Harvest. Good doc if a little dated now. Poor cover is that the best they can come up with?

They must of seen this cover:wink::

415YR8SNZJL.jpg

That's great news:smile:.

Ill be picking up a copy of When Taekwondo Strikes when its out.

When Taekwondo Strikes for me as well hopefully Blu-ray

DragonClaws

The film pretty much was a showcase for Golden Harvest movies with the exception of No Retreat No Surrender. Features some nice behind the scenes clips from China O Brien too.

They've re-used the old U.S VHS cover for the DVD release:sad:. They could have created a new cover at least. The version I had was released by BraveWorld and featured Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee on the front cover. It must have been a bootleg release because it had the nunchaku scene from ETD at the end.

Feels like it's been forever since I've posted here :tongue:

Anyway, I'm hoping this is a legit anamorphic widescreen release. I have the US Fox laserdisc which is easily the best looking version at the moment, and switches between 2.35 and 1.85 depending on the film (as opposed to maintaining the 2.35 ratio on the HK DVD, thus "pillarboxing" the 1.85 films), and has damn good colors. Plus runs at proper film speed, with no PAL speed-up.

Never got why Warriors Two was shown at 1.85 though... I think it's because they used the footage from Bruce Lee The Legend instead (hence the alternate English dub), which seemed to have a 1.85 theatrical release. But these are just my theories.

If they drop the ball on this, I may have to finally make a custom again... it's been a while :wink:

Actually it's all Golden Harvest with the exception of the clip from No Retreat, No Surrender and a clip from the TV series The Master. Plus, Enter the Dragon was not Golden Harvest, but it was a subsidiary of GH, Concord (Bruce Lee and Raymond Chow created it) with Warner Brothers.

This is still one of my all-time favorite documentaries. My oldest daughter saw the clip of Jackie Chan facing the Amazons in Armour of God and that made her want to watch the whole movie.

DragonClaws

I think the clip from The Master is taken from the pilot episode?. This series needs a good quality release. Amazed there is no official box set for this while other cult 80's series are easily available.

This was the first documentary about kung fu film I watched (well technically second, My Stunts on Channel 5 about ten years ago got me hooked), will definately buy this. And When Taekwando Strikes looks great, always look forward to seeing a Sammo film. I wonder if this means Hapkido will get a rerelease? I hope so! Haven't heard of Amsterdam Kill, I see it's a Golden Harvest film directed by Roobert Clouse, is it worth a look? The cast list is fantastic!

Archived