Rank the Venoms Films

Guest GhostFaceKiller

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Either Masked Avengers or 2 Champions of Shaolin are my favorites!

Those are also awesome:bigsmile:...2 Champions actually benefits from Kuo Chuis absence because Lo Meng gets more screen time

It`s almost perfect for me.Great characters,good storyline...

However in the end when Chiang Sheng and Kuo Chui fight Lu Feng the use of acrobatics is silly.At times looks good vs bad are not fighting but just practicing movements as there is physical contact without trying to hit,just rolling over enemys back.

Ah yeah the acrobatic end fight was a bit silly and over the top but I did originally enjoy it. I appreciated the humor of it, its one of my favorite roles from Chiang Sheng, he was actually funny as the idiot and I normally hate the idiot character in kung fu films...cough, Lar Kar Leung films in particular. The fight that I'm actually disappointed with is the end fight with Chen Kuan Tai, I think it should of been more violent. CKT should of been able to splatter a couple of venoms first, I like the whole Iron foot in the chest but I would of loved to see him to go Boxer From Shantung on them before they took him down.

Ah yeah the acrobatic end fight was a bit silly and over the top but I did originally enjoy it. I appreciated the humor of it, its one of my favorite roles from Chiang Sheng, he was actually funny as the idiot and I normally hate the idiot character in kung fu films...cough, Lar Kar Leung films in particular. The fight that I'm actually disappointed with is the end fight with Chen Kuan Tai, I think it should of been more violent. CKT should of been able to splatter a couple of venoms first, I like the whole Iron foot in the chest but I would of loved to see him to go Boxer From Shantung on them before they took him down.

I agree..I think it would have been good if he would have nailed Kuo Chui,would been more impressive ending..

Lo Meng and Sun Chien characters were just too strong to make them kick the bucket...

Btw this is only venom films I have bought as bootleg,later of course replaced it with IVL...and back then I did not even know bootleg issua:squigglemouth:

Those are also awesome:bigsmile:...2 Champions actually benefits from Kuo Chuis absence because Lo Meng gets more screen time

To me Masked Avenger and Flag of Iron looked like they should be good, they just weren't. Something about them I just dont like. They may be too clean and staged for my taste, could be the indoor sets. Usually beautiful but just kind of stale and claustrophopic in these films.

2 Champions, I just didn't like the story or plot, I'd need to rewatch it cause it didn't stick with me after viewing. Maybe no Kuo Choi was the problem.

To me Masked Avenger and Flag of Iron looked like they should be good, they just weren't. Something about them I just dont like. They may be too clean and staged for my taste, could be the indoor sets. Usually beautiful but just kind of stale and claustrophopic in these films.

2 Champions, I just didn't like the story or plot, I'd need to rewatch it cause it didn't stick with me after viewing. Maybe no Kuo Choi was the problem.

Yeah there is indoor sets like hell in Avengers and Flag...only thing I did not like in champions was "Candy"...she is one of my least favourite kung-fu ladies.

My problem with two champions of shaolin was of course Candy Wen, never understood why chang cheh use her as often as he did, she was nothing but annoying, Chin Siu Ho, he was much better in modern day movies as opposed to period pieces and I just never thought he fit in with the venoms crew properly, no kuo choi and the limited screen time Sun Chien had, what was up with that? These things practically killed that movie for me

Yeah there is indoor sets like hell in Avengers and Flag...only thing I did not like in champions was "Candy"...she is one of my least favourite kung-fu ladies.

In sword stained with Royal Blood u want to throw a brick at the TV whenever she's on screen.

In sword stained with Royal Blood u want to throw a brick at the TV whenever she's on screen.

while I watched it quite recently 1st and only time I have mercifully forgotten most of it...I remember there was remarkably stupid issue where some girl was thought to be a man by all where one must be blind not to see difference....

I re(re-re-re)watch venom movies from time to time but I do not see myself returning to Royal Blood...end fight I remember though was excellent but that is standard from venom crew:wink:

while I watched it quite recently 1st and only time I have mercifully forgotten most of it...I remember there was remarkably stupid issue where some girl was thought to be a man by all where one must be blind not to see difference....

I re(re-re-re)watch venom movies from time to time but I do not see myself returning to Royal Blood...end fight I remember though was excellent but that is standard from venom crew:wink:

Dont rewatch it, trust me. Even the end fight gets a bit cheesy with this crazy formation they do that makes no sense. lol, I know its a novel, but I really dont know what Cheng Cheh was going for with this film. For instance we're suppose to empathize for this guy in the cave, dont even remember his name, Golden Spear or something. Whoever he was he was a terrible actor and fighter, and as you stated you get Candy Wen who looks nothing like a man playing a man.

And since you brought up Candy, I just remembered that she nearly ruined Swordsman and Enchantress as well, and she was again supposedly a man!!!

Morgoth Bauglir

I've heard nothing but good things about Sword Stained, but, I also didn't like it. I found it boring. To be honest I don't remember a whole lot about it either.

And since you brought up Candy, I just remembered that she nearly ruined Swordsman and Enchantress as well, and she was again supposedly a man!!!

I have the IVL version and it`s on shelf where watched Shaws are kept..But I remember nothing about it:tongue:..

Morgoth I have not seen 1993 version of Sword but I check it out if my local shop which has huge asian movie collection have it.

Dont rewatch it, trust me. Even the end fight gets a bit cheesy with this crazy formation they do that makes no sense.

Hmm..now as you mentioned brings some not so good memories..there is yellow carpet (which is good)and villains run around heroes without trying to strike(which is bad)?????

geez...

What I didn't like about Sword Stained With Royal Blood is that Lung tien sheng's character is supposed to be hero like, but he was written very unlikeable so it was hard to sympathize with him. Ching li's character just came off as an ungrateful brat, turning against her family for a man who tried to harm them, and Candy Wen is just always unlikeable in every movie, in every aspect. Kuo Chui, never really understood his character. But this is one of the few movies where I rooted for the so-called villians over the good guys as they were the most unlikeable.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

"And since you brought up Candy, I just remembered that she nearly ruined Swordsman and Enchantress as well, and she was again supposedly a man!!!"

That's exposed very early in the film and she is taught a big lesson by Ti Lung. Swordsman And The Enchantress is an excellent film. She's great in the attempted kidnapping scene of Ching Li. She's not responsible as an actress for her dialogue or roless, but she did have kick ass attitude.

Favortite Venom Mob movies for me are

Crippled Avengers - really want to get a legit release with the eng dub

Masked Avengers - Similar to Five Venoms but better action

Shaoliln Rescuers - the Finale is among the Venoms best

Magnificent Ruffians - another great finale

Iron Flag - a little plot heavy but the flag fighting is cool.

I've heard nothing but good things about Sword Stained, but, I also didn't like it. I found it boring. To be honest I don't remember a whole lot about it either.

I wasn't thrilled with it either. Watched it once that was enough.

Chinatown Kid

Invincible Shaolin for me, great style vs style film with great training scenes and isn't overtly campy like most Venom films.

Invincible Shaolin for me, great style vs style film with great training scenes and isn't overtly campy like most Venom films.

Its kinda cool how all 6 poison clan students face off at the end too, and not the usual match ups.

I didn't care for SSwRB the first time I watched it, someone convinced me to give it another go and it definitely has it's merits, I kind of liked the formation fighting for something different, still a lesser Venom movie but give it another chance, it grows on you.

The Five Venoms and Invincible Shaolin are my favorites, but I also find myself going back to Rebel Intruders quite a bit. The fight scenes were quite good in that one, and I thought Chang Cheh did a pretty good job there of adding some emotional weight in regards to the plight of poor refugees in a strange city, who have nothing but the clothes on their back.

The Five Venoms and Invincible Shaolin are my favorites, but I also find myself going back to Rebel Intruders quite a bit. The fight scenes were quite good in that one, and I thought Chang Cheh did a pretty good job there of adding some emotional weight in regards to the plight of poor refugees in a strange city, who have nothing but the clothes on their back.

I need to watch Rebel Intruders again, I really liked the characters in that one too, its like a comic book.

kungfusamurai

I find that the quality seemed to go down as the years went on. And then they switched from hand to sword play. Those latter films seemed to really scrape the bottom of the barrel story wise. House of Traps turned out to be House of Crap.

I still think that the best one was Five Venoms. Sure it isn't packed full of fighting, but is that really a bad thing. It's got a nice story, good suspense, memorable characters, and an awesome finale. Crippled Avengers had some good points and some bad points. I didn't the like circus-peking opera fighting in the end when all they did was do flips and somersaults over each other. Come on, stop dancing and stab somebody!!! :)

And for the record, I don't consider Five Element Ninja as part of the Venom canon, even though there was one original Venom and a whole lot of mini-Venoms. In spite of that, Lo Mang still didn't make it to the ending, LOL!

KFS

venomsfreak

Totally agree KFS. Five Venoms will always be my favorite Venom movie. I felt exactly the same way about Crippled Avengers too. I thought the final fight dragged on way too long with too many flips and not enough fighting.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Just watched Masked Avengers last week and I took it out to watch The Black Tavern. The story I find very boring and it's a bit to cloak and dagger. It's just not very well done. The fighting has its moments and I do like the drunken revelry of the Lu Feng's gang, drinking thier victims blood mixed with chicken blood. LOL! I can't wait for Kid With The Golden Arm. Great drinking flick right there!

Magnificent Ruffians

Five Deadly Venoms

Flag Of Iron

Rebel Intruders

Brave Archer

Kid With The Golden Arm -first venom flick I had seen years back

Crippled Avengers

These are probably my faves.

And I disagree with the earlier statement about House Of Traps. I actually like this film. The rivalry between Kuo Chui and Lu Feng is great stuff, It was so rare before being remastered and released region 1 that it was a very special treat.

Archived