Rank the Venoms Films

Guest GhostFaceKiller

Morgoth Bauglir
I watched Iron Flag (again) this morning. Yeah. That is definitely my favorite Venoms flick. It's so entertaining watching them use the flagpoles as weapons. It hasn't been done since then, if I remember correctly.

Dammit! Just when I thought I had a chance of convincing oldeschool and Teako that this is a bad film, this comment comes back to bite me in the ass. I hate Flag of Iron, but I agree the flag fighting is pretty cool. Check out Hellz Windstaff. The flag is not used as a weapon, but it is used in a training scene.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dammit! Just when I thought I had a chance of convincing oldeschool and Teako that this is a bad film, this comment comes back to bite me in the ass. I hate Flag of Iron, but I agree the flag fighting is pretty cool. Check out Hellz Windstaff. The flag is not used as a weapon, but it is used in a training scene.

lol. what is it about the movie that you dont like?

Most venoms fans love Invincible Shaolin but the ending ruined it for me.

I bought "Flag of Iron" about two weeks ago and I'd heard it was one of the weaker efforts. I actually enjoyed the movie throughly but disliked the flag fighting in it. Fighting with flags always seems like an annoying attempt at something cool. It just doesn't look good to me.

Yes it can be a bit like a Peking opera performance.

Well put. But it ain't necessarily a bad thing I think... Depending on personal tastes, of course... I liked that flag fight in Flag of Iron exactly for this "opera" feel to it...

Morgoth Bauglir
lol. what is it about the movie that you dont like?

Most venoms fans love Invincible Shaolin but the ending ruined it for me.

It didn't seem like there was any thought put into the story, and the fights are too short. Even Life gamble I found much more interesting than Flag of Iron. Lo Meng should have done some actual fighting other than that brief moment he gets, but I thought the daggers thing was actually pretty cool. I like movies with at least a little bit of thought put into it. Flag of Iron was just mindless, and if you are going to have a mindless movie, the fights should be better and longer than they are in flag of Iron. I just hate it. I went into it expecting greatness, and what I got was a dud.

trailer of "ode to gallantry"looks really yummy,I dun dare to watch 6mins clip:eek:.Invincible shao-lin is terrific movie in beginning&in the end but in middlepart fight or two instead of extended training sessions would have made it classic.

I dun have complain about flagfight,love that movie,however acrobatics bothered me in Crippled Avengers.there was some moments 3 opera venoms got too heavily into somersaults etc.Strong performances by Chen Kuan Tai,Sun Chien and Lo Meng saved this movie.

A difficult choice but as much as I love CRIPPLED AVENGERS, I'd have to say SHAOLIN RESCUERS as everyone gets to shine in one form or another and the finale has so much variety in its fight choreography and Lo, Kuo and Sun get to display some great chemistry between them as well as some unexpectedly good comical bits.

Morgoth Bauglir
A difficult choice but as much as I love CRIPPLED AVENGERS, I'd have to say SHAOLIN RESCUERS as everyone gets to shine in one form or another and the finale has so much variety in its fight choreography and Lo, Kuo and Sun get to display some great chemistry between them as well as some unexpectedly good comical bits.

you should listen to this guy oldeschool, he knows what he is talking about:D:p;)

I agree with you venoms5. shaolin Rescuers is also my #1, and Crippled Avengers is my #2.

Thanks, Morgoth:) Even though Chang's later crew were for the most part, not well liked in HK, the venom movies brought something different to the table with each new film in terms of style, setting, characters and combat making the choice of picking a fave very difficult.

One thing I love about RESCUERS is it takes the conventions of the indy KF flick and gives it some substance. In so many of those movie it's always the same thing-at the opening, the main villain kills another master which leads to the intro of the young hero(s). The audience is then subjected to near endless scenes of often times annoying comedy shenanigans that add nothing to the film save for acting as filler till the big final fight. RESCUERS gives its principles humanity and a reason for being or at least gives them a WANT for reason for being. They desire a purpose and Chang Cheh gives them one and builds the characters around the comedy bits as opposed to the other way around.

you should listen to this guy oldeschool, he knows what he is talking about:D:p;)

I agree with you venoms5. shaolin Rescuers is also my #1, and Crippled Avengers is my #2.

Crippled Avengers always will have a place in my heart cause I remember watching it when I was a kid and when i took martial arts, one of the guys and I would pretend to be like Kuo Chue and Lo Meng in the dojo:p. I think i was no more than 12 years old and he was an older hippy called Seaweed.

trailer of "ode to gallantry"looks really yummy,I dun dare to watch 6mins clip

That trailer is about the only coherent part of that movie! Some decent fights but terrible plot and wtf moments

prolly "masked avengers" ia finest overall,I dun not like that villain gets killed during leap though but other some other venoms movies have used same cheap shot so not big deal...

Action and choreography: 2 Champions of Shaolin. The fight between Lo Meng and Wang Li on the stage is awesome, and what a great finale from Lu Feng.

was maybe 1st venomflick I saw.Brilliant movie overlooked by some coz lack of Kuo Chui.It did not bother me one bit,gave more chance for others(his streetsmart unbeatable character takes always damn lot screentime)to display skills.

One thing I dun get,in various venom movies when heroes die at the end,they seem happy,even laughing.Do they believe they end up to paradise after passing away:eek:

One thing I dun get,in various venom movies when heroes die at the end,they seem happy,even laughing.Do they believe they end up to paradise after passing away:eek:

These movies take place in a time where you put your honor before you life, and having a cause to die for was the best reason to live, take Shaolin Rescuers, Lo Mang And Kuo Chui talk about giving their lifes for the historical hero figure, they were basically peasants and thought if they could die for him they would be remembered, and that's exactly what they did:p

These movies take place in a time where you put your honor before you life, and having a cause to die for was the best reason to live, take Shaolin Rescuers, Lo Mang And Kuo Chui talk about giving their lifes for the historical hero figure, they were basically peasants and thought if they could die for him they would be remembered, and that's exactly what they did:p

I was thinking sth like that must be case as they succeed killing enemies anyway..however it looked quite weird in "invincible shaolin" when chiang sheng smiled to kuo chui after gotten solid thrust to stomach:rolleyes:

The Amazing Psycho Per

For me it's hard to pick one above the rest. There are those I like and those I don't, with a few in the middle. I don't think I can pick one favorite as all those I love have a little somthing going for them.

The best of the best, definate must own:

Cripled avengers (Great characters and acrobatic fights, the final fight between Lu Feng, Chiang Sheng and Kwok Chui is just pure eye candy)

Rebel Intruders (Amazing fights, awesome final, good story)

Daredevils (IMO one of the best developed story for a venoms movie, great fights)

Invincible Shaolin (Great characters, love the theme music, good fights, great interaction between the characters.)

Shaolin Rescuers ( Lots of fights, good story, Lu Feng's best performance ever in the final fight, simply amazing, Everyone makes it to the final fight!!!)

Great works, definately worth geting:

Magnificient Ruffians (Good film, fights not on par with the best, but still good, probably the best of this group)

Five venoms (Great concept, great characters, not enough fights)

Masked avengers (Great atmosphere, awesome final fight)

House of traps (to much flaws, fights are to short, but what there is, is amazing, the house itself is kinda cool)

Average efforts, but worth checking out:

Kid with the golden arm: (didn't do it for me, barely average)

Flag of Iron : (Although good final fight, pretty boring overall)

Sword stained with royal blood: (Good fights, painfull to sit through)

The bottom of the barril, definately can pass on those:

Ten Tigers of Kwantung: (Probably the worst, a complete mess)

Ode to gallantry: (Never seen it but never heard one good comment about it.)

I have also yet to see:

Legend of the fox

Life gamble

How are those?

Music in "invincible shaolin" is indeed great(well,so is everything else in movie)..and you did not mention "2 champions of shaolin",it has one of best end brawls,Lu Feng delivers 'again*impressive trident work and his henchmen show some good monkey kung-fu..

legend of the fox will not qualify into best 7 venom movies but it`s still above average movie.*I still have magnificent ruffians&ode to gallantry unseen*

I have also yet to see:

Legend of the fox

Life gamble

How are those?

browsing this threads pages n checking ppl`s rankings should give u a good idea.

in mine (page 2) LotF ranks at 6/17; LG comes in last, but is still worth checkin out imo.

browsing this threads pages n checking ppl`s rankings should give u a good idea.

in mine (page 2) LotF ranks at 6/17; LG comes in last, but is still worth checkin out imo.

I dunno is heaven&hell really considered as venom movie but if yes must be worst ...only good thing in flick is flashback fight between lu feng and kuo chui and some good kicks by sun chien.it`s trash but not even enjoyable one.

I have also yet to see:

Legend of the fox

Life gamble

How are those?

Just to gauge how i rate my venoms films:

Crippled Avengers, Masked Avengers, 5 Element Ninjas(not full on venoms films, but whatever) get a solid 10/10

Flag of Iron(morgoth will agree) & Magnificent Ruffians: 9/10

Shaolin Rescuers, Rebel Intruders, House of Traps, Five Venoms, Sword Stained With Royal Blood=7-8/10

2 Champions of Shaolin, Invincible Shaolin, Kid with the Golden Arm= 6/10

10 Tigers from Kwangtung: 2/10

Legend of the Fox= If you liked Sword Stained With Royal Blood, you will like this. I think the pacing is a bit better than Sword Stained with Royal Blood and theres more fighting thru out the film than in Sword Stained With Royal Blood(which most of the fighting comes near the end). I went into watching this with no expectations and it was decent, but not the best by any means.

I rate this 7.5 or 8/10

Ode to Gallantry= Crapfest. One of the weaker Venoms films by far. Get only if you want to complete your venoms collection. The ending is just retarded. This is 3/10 with the action that is present the only redeeming factor.

Life Gamble=Kung Fu Spaghetti Western with Daggers instead of pistols. You get to witness Lo Meng wear a bad wig and use daggers. To me Kuo Chu steals the show although it kind was more geared as a Fu Sheng vehicle. Chiang Sheng has very lil air time and Lu Feng looks like Zorro in the beginning. If you're looking for non stop action this is not the movie. Its a lil more dialogue driven than pure action. Kuo Chu does kick some ass near the end. Most Venom fans are split on this movie but i liked it. I give it a 7/10

2 Champions of Shaolin, Invincible Shaolin, Kid with the Golden Arm= 6/10:rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:..I agree your 9/10 abt flag of iron though

6. Chinatown Kid

movie has it`s moments..watched few days ago "happy end" version and it was not so bad,but cut dialogue disturbed.,fights are not so good in this flick but overall feel and story is very good methinks.

The only movie I haven't seen is Life Gamble, For me they're all must owns but I rather enjoyed Heaven and Hell, it's certianly something different and Lee I Min is in great form.

Archived