Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) & Far from Home (2019) - Tom Holland, Marisa Tomei, Zendaya

AlbertV

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, Karlos said:

Never saw the Garfield films - are they worth a look?

They get a lot of flack from films fans, but I didnt mind them at all. That said, I'm no Spider-Man fanboy and I went in with no expectations at all.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

I really enjoyed this one. It's nothing landmark as far as cinema goes, but it was a fun little coming of age Spider-Man with solid action, fun high school antics and a great villain. Again, nothing mind-blowing but certainly enjoyable.

ShaOW!linDude

Took the girls to see this last night. I enjoyed a lot of it, regardless of all the liberties taken with some of the characters. That's not to say I didn't have issues with certain aspects. Marisa Tomei is utterly wasted. I thought Peter's friend was a nice addition and certainly helped with the comedy parts. When it comes to Liz and MJ, I liked them in the film, but I'm still a stickler about certain characters. I would rather they not even appear at all or had been given different names. 

I love all the Raimi/Maguire Spiderman films (even the 3rd). I only saw the 1st Garfield movie and was really underwhelmed. Never bothered with the 2nd. (Both can now be found at Walmart for $5. I'm tempted to get them just to have them and suffer through a double feature at some point.)

I loved Michael Keaton as the Vulture. He brought some great depth to his character. However, I am sick and tired of mechanized, body-armored, overly tech-enhanced suited villains and heroes. (This applies to Spidey's costume as well.) I know filmmakers want to create a certain amount of plausibility of how the characters are able to do what they do, but it's a dad-blamed comic book movie. I suspended my imagination a long time ago. Give me something more akin to the comics, please.

Unfortunately for me, the film fell flat at the end. I just thought the finale was sub-par to the rest of the film. I hate being built up for a climax that fails to reach its potential.

At least it wasn't another rehashed origin film. That was a major plus. I reckon I'd watch it again. 

9 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

I love all the Raimi/Maguire Spiderman films (even the 3rd). I only saw the 1st Garfield movie and was really underwhelmed. Never bothered with the 2nd. (Both can now be found at Walmart for $5. I'm tempted to get them just to have them and suffer through a double feature at some point.)

Same here, I like all 3 Tobey films. Amazing #1 saw in the theater but don't remember much of it, Amazing #2 I have on Blu-ray disc but have yet to watch it.

I came across the Blu-ray boxset (all 5 movies) for less than $15 so I bought it. I have yet to open it but one of these days I will do a marathon viewing.

On 7/18/2017 at 9:45 PM, Karlos said:

Saw this yesterday.

Was expecting little but I was surprised at just how flat, safe and, frankly, dull this one was.

Almost every joke fell flat, and referencing John Hughes films only served to show how much better he did teen comedies 30 years ago than the bland pap this one served up.

Utterly bereft of anything interesting apart from the great Michael Keaton.

Agreed. I thought it might be controversial for me to say, but seriously one of the most mediocre films I've ever seen, so I'm glad someone around here agrees. Not even saved by the action scenes which are completely incomprehensible even by modern Hollywood standards. Michael Keaton was awesome though, so good to the point that I was actually rooting for him.

Spoiler

Spider-Man was one of the deaths in Avengers: Infinity War

It has been confirmed that Mysterio will be the villain in the sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming and that Jake Gyllenhaal is in talks to play the role. How will this play into the above spoiler from a certain Avengers movie?

http://www.darkhorizons.com/gyllenhaal-in-talks-for-spider-man-villain/

Michael Keaton is going to return as Adrian "The Vulture" Toombs in the Spider-Man sequel. This, along with Mysterio, is looking to shape up The Sinister Six. The sequel takes Peter to London and returning are Tom Holland, Zendaya, Marisa Tomei, and Jacob Batalon.

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/05/michael-keatons-vulture-to-return-in-spider-man-homecoming-sequel/

Tom Holland has inadvertently revealed the official name of the Spider-Man: Homecoming sequel on his Instagram and the title has been confirmed by Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige. The villain has also been official and it is Mysterio. Jake Gyllenhaal is in talks to play the role while Michael Keaton's Vulture will also return to some capacity. Jon Watts will also return as director.

Release date: July 5, 2019.

I was at Ace comicon and the rest of the avengers cast that was there gave him a LOT of crap for spilling the beans on the title (and in general).  It was hilarious.  

12 hours ago, massa_yoda said:

I was at Ace comicon and the rest of the avengers cast that was there gave him a LOT of crap for spilling the beans on the title (and in general).  It was hilarious.  

Come to think of it...Spider-Man is a bit of a smartaleck so I think when Tom is doing that kind of stuff, that's him being his on-screen counterpart LOL. I do like the title, because there is an indication Spider-Man will be going to London for part of the new film.

Here's the new trailer for Spider-Man: Far From Home, "which sees a resurrected Peter Parker travel across Europe while dealing with some very bad opponents.  When we last saw Pete, he dissolved after Thanos' infamous snap in INFINITY WAR."  From https://www.action-flix.com/action-flix-home-page/peter-parker-is-in-foreign-territory-in-the-1st-official-trailer-for-spider-man-far-from-home 

Archived