Slaughter in Xian (1989) - Chang Cheh takes on the Heroic Bloodshed Genre

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

I recently got through watching this effort from Chang Cheh's twilight years, it was his third to last movie with only 'Hidden Hero' and 'Ninja in Ancient China' coming after, and I thought it was an enjoyable effort with a finale which is well worth sticking around for. I posted a full review here -

http://www.cityonfire.com/slaughter-in-xian-1989-review-chang-cheh/

fDA7j9cZTKA

GhN1vlO3vXw

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His last three were Ninja In Ancient China, Adventure In The Western Kingdom and Hidden Hero. Not In that order.

Funny thing about his mainland stint is that he pulled from what he had already done and redid/piece worked themes/characters, situations with his last crew. Hidden Hero was Life Gamble redone. NiAC was Weird Man redone. SiX pulled from many including 5V.

This is one of the 3 mainland films I've yet to watch; Hidden Hero and Journey to the West being the other two.

I enjoyed Great Shanghai 1937 and Ninja in Ancient China but Cross the River dragged for me.

I need to give Slaughter in Xian a spin....

Oh and the scene with the spike is one of the most disturbing, face contorting, heart dropping, things I've seen. CC was, wtf. That ish is horrible. I scream out loud every time.

Archived