Journey to the West 2: The Demons Strike Back (2017) - Tsui Hark & Stephen Chow

mpm74

Stephen Chow (Shaolin Soccer) and Tsui Hark (Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon) are reportedly in talks to collaborate on a sequel to Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons. This time around, Hark will take over directing duties, while Chow will produce. According to Jaynestars, Shu Qi, Wen Zhang, and Huang Bo will return for the sequel.

http://www.cityonfire.com/stephen-chow-and-tsui-hark-pair-up-for-journey-to-the-west-sequel/

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

Intersesting news, I really enjoyed 'Journey to the West: Chasing the Demons', but I think the main reason for that was because of Chow's trademark humour and visual gags.

I love Tsui Hark, but mainly for his visual style and storytelling flair. If he was to direct the sequel I presume it wouldn't be a comedy, which would be odd for it to go in a completely different direction.

I guess it's kind of like if I was to hear there's going to be a 'Hard Boiled 2', but it's going to be directed by Johnnie To. I love both 'Hard Boiled' and Johnnie To's movies, but do I want to see them together? Maybe not.

PS That's a really well written and informative review you've linked to.:tongue:

I agree with what OAB said. Either way I'll be checking it out though, the first one was a blast! I'd like to see more Chinese fantasy/adventure movies.

I liked the first one too, even though I will have to rewatch it so I can get a review out :) But it was best described as a Stephen Chow movie without Stephen Chow actually in it...but for some reason...it worked!

2000 called and they want their special effects back. I hope the movie is good and makes up for the horrible effects. 

Stephen Chow broke his own box-office record at the China box office with JtotheW: The Demons Strike Back. 2 days in, the film made 500RMB ($75 US million) at the box office with the three day total being 586RMB ($85.2 million) over the weekend, followed in second and third by Buddies in India and Kung Fu Yoga.

3 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I got through watching this one recently, and while I enjoyed it, it's very much a different beast from Chow's 'Conquering the Demons'.  Check out my full review here - 

http://cityonfire.com/journey-to-the-west-the-demons-strike-back-2017-review-the-demon-chapter/

I have the Blu-Ray but have yet to see it. I'll know what to expect when I finally see it. As you mentioned, the fact that this is a collaboration between Chow and Tsui alone makes me want to see it :)

Archived