Stranger & The Gunfighter Blu-Ray

jhayden

I've been seeing this around a lot lately and thought about taking a look.

Shaw Brothers are my favorite of course and I also love Euro-Westerns so this seemed like a natural. I'm actually kind of surprised at myself for not having seen this already.

Anyone care to share thoughts / reviews?

Also, does Lo Lieh use his real voice in this / speak English?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kurtz

• KyFi

• spannick

• shukocarl

Only watched the first half of this last summer. Bit disappointing.

If I recall correctly (and the ol' memory is sometimes off), Lo Lieh was portrayed as a stereotype sidekick -- which I found rather lame.

This flick "should have been" so much better. Guess I'll have to finish watching this someday to see if it improved.

Some scans from SS / July '74.....

gunft1.jpg

gunft2.jpg

gunft3.jpg

gunft4.jpg

i liked it, a bit more comedy than expected and the action isn't that elaborate but enjoyable overall

didn't think Lieh came off as 'typical sidekick' at all. the dynamic between him and Cleef was similar to the one found in other east/west crossovers - the knowledgeable cool headed capable asian being the foil to the loudmouthed cocky but well meaning cowboy

may not be a best place to start for novices to either genre, but if you're a fan of the two actors i'd say it's definitely worth a look

Guest ekisha

I love this film, the first 20 minutes were boring but then everything began.

Perhaps the best east / west film ever filmed.Much better than Chan's Shanghai Noon.

Originally posted in what if Bruce Lee was in a Western thread:

I do believe that was the original plan to have Lee and Sofia Loren play in the proposed script together, and it later became the Lee Van Clief/Lo Lieh vehicle, Blood Money.

Probably would have had more action scenes, and less of the "typical" dialogue spoken by Lo's character. Some of that still makes me cringe everytime I watch that film. Lo was nothing like his reputed Shaw characters here. Here he was a sell-out, no "tickee, no washee", guy.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8375

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

There was another movie western with a Chinese kung fu star in it the name escapes me I recall it was better than the movie in this thread.

Anyone know the title of the movie I am revering to. Not the Jet Li western.

GD Y-Y.

There was another movie western with a Chinese kung fu star in it the name escapes me I recall it was better than the movie in this thread.

Anyone know the title of the movie I am revering to. Not the Jet Li western.

GD Y-Y.

KUNG FU BROTHERS IN THE WILD WEST with Pai Piao and William Berger, FIGHTING FISTS OF SHANGHAI JOE and its sequel with Chen Lee.

ThunderScore
KUNG FU BROTHERS IN THE WILD WEST with Pai Piao and William Berger...

I believe this was also released on VHS by Wizard Video in the 80s as -

picture.php?albumid=5&pictureid=84

I just watched this again and wondered if Lo Lieh ever talked about it in any interviews etc. Also did it play in Hong Kong? Antonio Margheriti made a mess of his fight scenes (choreographed by who?) and the annoying sound affect during the somersaults was a disgrace.IMO Lo puts in a great performance and he and Van Cleef made a great team - pity there was no sequel. By the way, wasn't it a bit demeaning for Lo to act with a Gwailo in heavy eye make up as a Chinese (Karen Yeh's Guardian)...surely they could have had a real Chinese actor for the part!

It's a fun flick and I've often wondered as to how they got Lo Lieh in the first place.

I'm not sure which came out first, but I remember seeing Blood Money and thinking, hang on, this is the same plot as Dick Emery's film! :tongue:

Guest Markgway
Thanks for showing us the lobby cards mate.

Does anyone know what the deleted 'Brewery fight' is like?

I can't remember in detail but I know I've seen it. Lasts about 6 mins I think.

Guest Markgway
Sounds very interesting....Is there legal dvd/vcd available?

Not for English speaking viewers and even then I don't think they're uncut.

The version I saw was a widescreen fan edit with the uncut scene(s) taken from an alternate source.

There is a copy on ioffer.com that is letterboxed and 107 minutes, I believe taken from a laserdisc but I am not a member costs about £9all in with postage to UK...

Anybody a member here and would help me order - we could split the cost or something?

I had read that the videoasia version is still cut - Have seen a shot of the rear but it doesn't specify time - Kyfi , are you able to clarify? The one on ioffer shows no actual case so imagine its a rip of sorts - i assumed from the laserdisc which I thought was the only source of the full uncut 107 minutes version (and is also on ebay) and thats what it states..though it could be the fanedition as MarkGway mentions..

amazon.co.uk have the "Quantum Leap" uk edition listed at 107 minutes but its not - its 95...

Guest Markgway
amazon.co.uk have the "Quantum Leap" uk edition listed at 107 minutes but its not - its 95...

The 95m version is a PAL speed-up of the cut print.

I had read that the videoasia version is still cut - Have seen a shot of the rear but it doesn't specify time - Kyfi , are you able to clarify? The one on ioffer shows no actual case so imagine its a rip of sorts - i assumed from the laserdisc which I thought was the only source of the full uncut 107 minutes version (and is also on ebay) and thats what it states..though it could be the fanedition as MarkGway mentions..

I'll have to check it when I get home. I think one of the reviewers on Amazon US said it was just the 95 min. version, though.

Guest Markgway
There is also a swedish pal uncut version at 107mins but its Full frame and go's for about 12-15 pound..

Is than an NTSC>PAL conversion? I was under the impression that the uncut version only ran 102m at 25fps.

what about the French Disc? should be 2.35 / anamorphic. not seen it yet so no idea about Languages / Runtime. have a copy somewhere around here.