The Guardsman (aka 'Imperial Bodyguard') (2011)

ShawAngela

I just watched this one and I have only one word : SUPERB !!!

It relates the story of Emperor Qian Long travelling in a town with his main bodyguard Shu Ying, a few other men, two women and his servant.

They are the targets of a group of rebels wanting the return of the Ming dynasty, a group of Japanese warriors who join forces with the rebels and a man who wants to get revenge for his father's death.

Among the rebels, there is a former friend of Shu Ying who had the same master as him.

After several fights, there are only two bodyguards left with Shu Ying and he asks help from another friend of his (Yuen Biao) who doesn't want to help him because he holds him reponsible for his wife's death.

Qian Long's group is helped by an old doctor (Wu Ma) and his daughter (and previously by the owner of the inn, Cheng Pei Pei ) and finally by the man who wanted to kill Qian Long to get revenge, together with a man who uses a whip to fight the Japanese.

While they are trying to escape, Shu Ying's " brother " (in martial arts school) stops the Japanese and the rebels from killing Qian Long and he is killed by one of them who tries to make the others believe that he is a traitor and before killing him he tells him that it's him who killed his wife, and not the Emperor.

During the final fight which takes place in the school of Shu Ying's shifu, Yuen Biao finally comes to rescue his friend, and the soldiers (the doctor's daughter had escaped to the town in order to search them) finally arrive and save Qian Long.

What a very good non stop action martial arts movies ! I hadn't enjoyed a movie so much since a while and in my opinion, it can be ranked as high as the best of the Shaw's movies or the TVB and ATV's old martial arts series.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd never heard of this and just watched the trailer. It actually looks really good, if not a little bonkers. Is there a subtitled DVD available?

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
biao

The Guardsman – Yan Jie, Yuen Biao, Cheng Peipei – This December

Director: Jiao Xiao-Yu
Action Director: Jiao Xiao-Yu

The Guardsman (Imperial Bodyguard) is the latest release from Lionsgate, which see’s the 2011 movie released on December 1st 2015.

The Movie stars Yan Jie, Yuen Biao, Wu Ma and Cheng Pei-pei and showcases some great Martial Art sequences (Shown in the trailer below).

biao

The Guardsman – Yan Jie, Yuen Biao, Cheng Peipei – This December

Director: Jiao Xiao-Yu
Action Director: Jiao Xiao-Yu

The Guardsman (Imperial Bodyguard) is the latest release from Lionsgate, which see’s the 2011 movie released on December 1st 2015.

The Movie stars Yan Jie, Yuen Biao, Wu Ma and Cheng Pei-pei and showcases some great Martial Art sequences (Shown in the trailer below).

i.body

Plot
When the Emperor travels in disguise to understand the problems that his people face, his enemies discover his identity and team up with Japanese pirates to assassinate him. Now, it is up to a group of loyal warriors to protect the Emperor and bring peace to the kingdom.

I am not to sure how much screen time Yuen Biao or Wu Ma gets, after watching the trailer it doesn’t show either of them (Wich is a shame).

Enjoy the trailer and support a movie like this when it goes onto the screen this December.

GD Y-Y

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

This was one of Wu Ma's last films.

Made in 2011 and called Imperial Bodyguard.

Will get a copy after the first and with ShawAngel's excellent review.

I am psyched for this one.

Imperial Bodyguard (2011)

Alias: Yu Qian Shi Wei
Genre: Martial Arts 

Director
 Jiao Xiao-Yu

Script
 Wang Shun-Tian

Action Director
 Jiao Xiao-Yu

ImperialBodyguard+2011-1-t.jpg

Cast
 Yan Jie (2)  
 Xie Meng-Wei  
 Liu Hui (1)  
 Yuen Biao  
 Cheng Pei-Pei  
 Wu Ma  
 Liu Feng-Chao  
 Lai Xi  
 Xie Dong (2) 

GD Y-Y

I just wanted to warn people of this movie. It is by no means a non-stop fight fest. In the first hour fights are few and all finished within a minute. The choreography isn't bad, though. The last 30 minutes are more action packed and there are a couple of impressive scenes although nothing you haven't seen before. In my opinion they don't justify the first two thirds of this cheaply produced and unattractively presented drag that feels suspiciously like a recut of a tv-series. And don't expect much of the veterans. Their appearances are more like cameos, neither of the three (Yuen Biao, Cheng Pei-Pei, Wu Ma) is longer than a couple of minutes seen on the screen.

I would strongly advise against a purchase of the dvd. Rent the movie if you must for the last 30 minutes.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I just wanted to warn people of this movie. It is by no means a non-stop fight fest. In the first hour fights are few and all finished within a minute. The choreography isn't bad, though. The last 30 minutes are more action packed and there are a couple of impressive scenes although nothing you haven't seen before. In my opinion they don't justify the first two thirds of this cheaply produced and unattractively presented drag that feels suspiciously like a recut of a tv-series. And don't expect much of the veterans. Their appearances are more like cameos, neither of the three (Yuen Biao, Cheng Pei-Pei, Wu Ma) is longer than a couple of minutes seen on the screen.

I would strongly advise against a purchase of the dvd. Rent the movie if you must for the last 30 minutes.

Oh well........so much for the high hopes.

Thanks.

GD Y-Y

This is free to watch in youtube.

I'm going to watch this week when I get a chance. Very cool looking throwback to 90s king fu.

Archived