Whiplash (2014)

BaronK

Go see this. Hell of a movie. Great pacing. Soul crushing, will testing. Great visual choreography in the finale. Hell of a kung fu movie. You'll get that if you see it. Go.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with you 100%. Loved this flick with a passion.

Along with Night Crawler, it's one of my absolute favorites of recent times.

Wait a second... I assume you're talking about the film about the drummer (and not the Angela Mao flick of the same name) – and you're just using the words 'kung fu' as a play on words, right?

If that's the case, it has better 'action' than John Wick. :)

Yep the drummer film is hell of a kung fu movie literally ...loved it..

Agree with you 100%. Loved this flick with a passion.

Along with Night Crawler, it's one of my absolute favorites of recent times.

Wait a second... I assume you're talking about the film about the drummer (and not the Angela Mao flick of the same name) – and you're just using the words 'kung fu' as a play on words, right?

If that's the case, it has better 'action' than John Wick. :)

I totally agree, blew me away. The acting is staggeringly good, as is the pacing. By the time the finale comes round you've experienced so many emotions and so the final drumming sequence is almost an assault on the senses. Can't wait to see it again.

It genuinely feels like a horror film, but done in a wonderfully dramatic, tense and real fashion. Absolutely loved it too.

Actually I see what you mean. It's certainly horrific what he goes through, what J.K Simmons does to him and the rest of them. What got me was the end. Just when we think the teacher's turned a corner, he invites the kid to play on stage and what he does is just evil.

Secret Executioner

That film is currently playing in a local artsy theater. With the owner of the place being a jazz drummer, I'm not surprised they are playing this. Will likely as I enjoyed the last couple of music related movies I've seen:

- the Liberace film with Michael Douglas (can't remember the title, but that movie was very enjoyable)

- Searching For Sugar Man that deals with a Detroit musician that never made it big in America (he made a couple of records) but got a massive following in South Africa in the 1970s (and his sudden disappearance and the lack of new material being explained by him dying in some gruesome manner - hanging himself on stage or something) and years later (in the late 1990s) he would show up down there and play a few shows in this country after fans managed to find him (he was alive and well living a normal life) - it's based on a true story BTW and the soundtrack (made up of songs from this guy's albums) is very nice.

- Inside Llewyn Davis by the Coen brothers, a film about the folk scene in NY.

Searching For Sugar Man was awesome. Loved it. Fell in love with Rodriguez' music after watching it.

I want to see that Liberace film, even though I'm a little hesitant on any 'bio' type film.

Another good music bio is the one about Memphis based band, Big Star and one called The Devil & Daniel Johnston.

Spoilers, if you haven't seen it:

This was fantastic. The final fifteen minutes or so were exhausting and emotional, masterfully shot and the editing brings about the sort of excitement Andrew must feel playing the drums. The drum solo was so moving, I was almost in tears - Andrew winning Fletcher over, slowly drawing him in before gaining his support, and ending with a respectful nod of approval - Andrew's gonna be one of the Greats. And then it ends right when it needs to, at the height of the adrenaline, when there's nothing more to be said. It might be my favorite movie of 2014.

Tory...

You might wanna edit your post (you listed some potential spoilers) in the final...

I do agree with you though :)

Just saw an interview with the director on Tavis Smiley. Basically its about him, with the instructor being multiple people. Shot it in, 19 days. Aside from the kung fu movie feel, in regard to the training ad master/student, it also reminded me of boot camp and how drill instructors carry on. In the interview he mentioned Full Metal Jacket. Bingo. If ever I understood what I was seeing and it actually being that, it's this picture.

Hopefully they don't get him to do the next Wolverine movie, never to return to making films again like they do now.

Archived