Clif lok's kung fu style.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

10432494_10204585723436343_2328813447647110580_n.jpg?oh=38694bb1261720d95c1947d67300836f&oe=55258207&__gda__=1428812817_137498cee5e2251af0e157f20f1d597d

Via Toby Russell

Cliff Lok was the first kng fu acrobatic star before Jackie Chan , Coincidently they trained under the same SIfu, although Cliff left the school after onyl one or two years due to the punsihments dishded out by Sifu Yuen, Cliff's dad wasso appauled and shocked that he removed Cliff form the school and sent him to study Six harmony boxing Luk Hap Bat fat

六合八法

liuhebafa 六合八法 - Cliff Lok (GumTong) Basic Form (Zhú Jī 築基)

NBBh1TOku7g

LI Ho Ba Fa is a very rare Chinese internal martial art.

Kept secrets until that last 30 years or so.

The results would be similar to Tai Chi Chuan.

GD Y-Y

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10432494_10204585723436343_2328813447647110580_n.jpg?oh=38694bb1261720d95c1947d67300836f&oe=55258207&__gda__=1428812817_137498cee5e2251af0e157f20f1d597d

Via Toby Russell

Cliff Lok was the first kng fu acrobatic star before Jackie Chan , Coincidently they trained under the same SIfu, although Cliff left the school after onyl one or two years due to the punsihments dishded out by Sifu Yuen, Cliff's dad wasso appauled and shocked that he removed Cliff form the school and sent him to study Six harmony boxing Luk Hap Bat fat

六合八法

liuhebafa 六合八法 - Cliff Lok (GumTong) Basic Form (Zhú Jī 築基)

NBBh1TOku7g

LI Ho Ba Fa is a very rare Chinese internal martial art.

Kept secrets until that last 30 years or so.

The results would be similar to Tai Chi Chuan.

GD Y-Y

Interesting, the only Cliff Lok film Ive watched is Kung Fu Genuius with Lee Hoi San.

I think the Opera schools got closed down because of there brutal regime they put youngsters through?. The regime might have been extremely hard but it created some really talented performers.

masterofoneinchpunch
... I think the Opera schools got closed down because of there brutal regime they put youngsters through?. The regime might have been extremely hard but it created some really talented performers.

The Opera schools were closing down because of the growing interest in movies and less interest in Peking/Cantonese style opera (this is not counting the changing of styles of Opera in the Mainland due to political winds during and after Chairman Mao; to understand the changes in Taiwan take a look at Peking Opera and Politics in Taiwan by Nancy Guy.) They also did not close completely.

Now I do not know the ins and outs of this but I suspect child labor laws became more stringent under The Employment of Children Regulations which was enacted in September 1979 (which interestingly enough compulsory education was enacted as well.)

Its interesting to see Choi Lee Fat Kung Fu (1979) and how Cliff Lok seemed to be Jackie Chan-ish actor.

Now was he actually ever a star?

The Opera schools were closing down because of the growing interest in movies and less interest in Peking/Cantonese style opera (this is not counting the changing of styles of Opera in the Mainland due to political winds during and after Chairman Mao; to understand the changes in Taiwan take a look at Peking Opera and Politics in Taiwan by Nancy Guy.) They also did not close completely.

Now I do not know the ins and outs of this but I suspect child labor laws became more stringent under The Employment of Children Regulations which was enacted in September 1979 (which interestingly enough compulsory education was enacted as well.)

Its interesting to see Choi Lee Fat Kung Fu (1979) and how Cliff Lok seemed to be Jackie Chan-ish actor.

Now was he actually ever a star?

Thanks for the feedback MasterOfTheOneInchPunch.

Interesting post, I seem to recall Jackie Chan talking about the harsh regime he was trained under being done away with?. He was talking about this in relation to how the younger actors didn't have the same high standards to meet. There fore the HK film industry was changing and not producing the same kind of choreographers, actors, directors. I have little knowledge about the opera schools. Only the bits Ive read about concerning JC, Yeun Biao & Sammo Hung career.

I'm familiar with Cliff Lok's name but cant recall him starring in a film?.

Interestingly enough, according to INSIDE THE DRAGON, Yuen Woo-Ping wanted Cliff Lok to star in Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, but Yuen Cheung-Yan convinced him to cast Jackie, as the two had worked together on Eagle Shadow Fist.

masterofoneinchpunch
Interestingly enough, according to INSIDE THE DRAGON, Yuen Woo-Ping wanted Cliff Lok to star in Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, but Yuen Cheung-Yan convinced him to cast Jackie, as the two had worked together on Eagle Shadow Fist.

Good information. I do have that book so I will have to refresh my memory by rereading it. Do you remember what page?

Good information. I do have that book so I will have to refresh my memory by rereading it. Do you remember what page?

I just know it's in the chapter about his two Seasonal Films.

I've collected quite a bit of Cliff Lok. Really enjoy his kung fu/comedy. He was great in post-shaw leads like Ring of Death with Hwang Jang Lee and Kung Fu Genius.

masterofoneinchpunch

Found the quote (pg. 18): "Actually, it was Yuen [Woo-ping] who secured Chan his lead role in Snake. Ng as looking at young kung fu star Cliff Lok, who happened (ironically*) to look like Chan-- with even a similar nose. Yuen wanted Chan because they knew each other and because they were both proponents of the northern style of kung fu. Despite worries from distributors that Chan wasn't marketable, Ng went with Yuen's choice."

So according to this it was Yuen who wanted Jackie Chan and Ng who wanted Lok. Interesting to think what would have happened if Lok had starred in that film (not necessarily for Lok, but also Chan as well.)

* The author uses this word incorrectly (common mistake.) He should have used coincidentally.

Archived