"36th Chamber" HK Blu Ray release...

Drunken Monk

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

That would definitely be a nice Christmas gift or to just own it in your collection. I already have the movie on blu from DD and the other two films, I'm not a big fan of because they are pretty boring.

I would guess that these may just be the HK release of the previous Japanese versions. I would highly doubt that it would be anything too different. It is nice though with the postcards and some English subs. I certainly plan on getting this box set. Intercontinental Video is no Kam & Ronson, so I am expecting good things (I hope). It is time for the Shaws films to be released on blu ray. Their exposure on the El Ray network should hopefully get some people interested in getting them on blu-ray. So, the other question is: Once the box set is released, will there be an individual release of each film? When? I would imagine that most people would probably only want The 36th Chamber of Shaolin. But, I like the 3 films.

Just took the plunge on this. I really wanted to order from dddhouse but I could never get their site to load correctly. Yesasia is fine but their prices are too high. I hope that this set turns out well. I will certainly post with screenshots or whatever I can once I get it; unless someone beats me to it. :xd:

And, I almost cried when it came time to make the payment. :xd:

I certainly do hope that we see more Shaws blu-rays cause I don't want the only access to be downloads or streaming, etc. I hope that future titles will be more pocket friendly. And, I thought we had it bad when the dvd`s were almost $20 a disc. :xd:

• Administrator

I had a few Amazon gift cards that I got for Christmas, so I traded them to a friend who sent me the equivalent via Paypal. Why? So I could order this Blu-ray set of course! :tongue: I just couldn't resist. Merry Christmas in mid February (or Happy Valentine's Day :tongue:)... thanks Mom and Dad! It was exactly what I wanted. :wink:

• Administrator

I already posted this elsewhere, but thought it should be posted here as well... :nerd:

I think maybe IVL/Celestial has finally realized how much the English dubs mean to fans, and worked out the rights to use them. Reportedly (going by the info on Yesasia.com and DDDhouse.com), the English dubs are included on all three of the films included in this set, and they are All-Region too!

Could this mean that future BD releases will also include the English dubs too? I hope so. Despite the fact that I usually prefer original language/subtitled, I'm partial to a lot of the SB English dubs. :bigsmile:

I already posted this elsewhere, but thought it should be posted here as well... :nerd:

I think maybe IVL/Celestial has finally realized how much the English dubs mean to fans, and worked out the rights to use them. Reportedly (going by the info on Yesasia.com and DDDhouse.com), the English dubs are included on all three of the films included in this set, and they are All-Region too!

Could this mean that future BD releases will also include the English dubs too? I hope so. Despite the fact that I usually prefer original language/subtitled, I'm partial to a lot of the SB English dubs. :bigsmile:

Wow! That is interesting. Of course, I do prefer the subs over the dubs but I realize that a lot of people only want dubs. And, it is nice to have them as an added bonus.

I hope these arrive soon. Cant wait to see what we are going to be getting. I wonder if they will have the mono soundtrack too?

• Administrator
Wow! That is interesting. Of course, I do prefer the subs over the dubs but I realize that a lot of people only want dubs. And, it is nice to have them as an added bonus.

I think that giving fans the option is always the way to go, and that IVL/Celestial would have made three times the profit if they had released their DVDs with the English dubs and Region Free. This would've cut out the insane amount of bootlegging that occurred during the long interim between their releases and any other countries, and people's preference for the dubbed boots over the legit subbed versions. Of course I'm certain there would have been a plethora of legal tangles involved in doing it that way, and I don't claim to know how they could've made it happen.

I hope these arrive soon. Cant wait to see what we are going to be getting. I wonder if they will have the mono soundtrack too?

I was notified that mine shipped yesterday. :nerd:

A couple of weeks ago I was looking at the set and feeling all bummed out that I couldn't afford it. I'm so glad I thought of cashing in those gift cards! :bigsmile:

The mono soundtrack would be oh so welcome. :angel:

I think that giving fans the option is always the way to go, and that IVL/Celestial would have made three times the profit if they had released their DVDs with the English dubs and Region Free. This would've cut out the insane amount of bootlegging that occurred during the long interim between their releases and any other countries, and people's preference for the dubbed boots over the legit subbed versions. Of course I'm certain there would have been a plethora of legal tangles involved in doing it that way, and I don't claim to know how they could've made it happen.

I was notified that mine shipped yesterday. :nerd:

A couple of weeks ago I was looking at the set and feeling all bummed out that I couldn't afford it. I'm so glad I thought of cashing in those gift cards! :bigsmile:

The mono soundtrack would be oh so welcome. :angel:

Yeah. Mine shipped yesterday too. According to the website, my package should be out for delivery today. Not so sure about that cause normally I get an alert saying that I will receive the package the next day. Never got it. But, we shall see. But, if that is the case then this would be the quickest delivery of an package from HK that I have ever seen. I think that a few of those Japanese JC Extreme Edition blu rays took a couple of days. Normally, my HK deliveries take anywhere from 2 weeks to whenever they feel like delivering it. :wink:

Instead of taking the slow boat from China, they put some guy in a row boat and send him out across the ocean.

IT`S HERE!!!!!!!!!! IT`S HERE!!!!!!!!!!

:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

But, now I have to go to work! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

I wish I could afford to take the day off cause I would just watch these back-to-back.

So far - The box is nice. The postcards are nice. Nice menu.

Just put the disc in to catch a few minutes. I don't know if this is mono or not. But, it does have a rather mono-ish sound. So, please don't quote me at this point. I need to sit down and compare it to something else. But, the audio does give you the option of Cantonese 2.0 or Mandarin 2.0 and English 2.0 as Bob has already mentioned.

I will work to post some screenshots later unless someone else gets there first. Either way, I am looking forward to watching this.

• Administrator

Damn, that's fast! If you don't mind me asking- where are you located?

Good to hear confirmation on the English dub.

When you get the chance can you please let me know if the other two have the English dubs too? I just want to verify it for the post on http://www.shaolinchamber36.com/. Thanks. :wink:

Damn, that's fast! If you don't mind me asking- where are you located?

Good to hear confirmation on the English dub.

When you get the chance can you please let me know if the other two have the English dubs too? I just want to verify it for the post on http://www.shaolinchamber36.com/. Thanks. :wink:

In AZ. It went from HK to Cali to AZ. But, I realized that I must have spent the extra money for courier shipping. Oh well. Its better to get it here this quick than to have to look in the mailbox everyday wanting it to be there. :big smile:

Bob, All 3 films have the English dub!!!

Well, here you go. Here are some examples of why the Dragon Dynasty blu-ray was so hated compared to the Celestial HD blu-ray.

Dragon Dynasty blu-ray:

post-233-144191903834_thumb.jpg

Celestial blu-ray:

post-233-144191903858_thumb.jpg

Dragon Dynasty blu-ray:

post-233-144191903846_thumb.jpg

Celestial blu-ray:

post-233-144191903871_thumb.jpg

I will get around to doing the other 2 films later. I still need to compare these to the DD dvd and original Celestial dvd and will post as much info as I can.

36th Chamber of Shaolin:

Audio - Mandarin, Cantonese and English PCM 2.0

Subs - Chinese, English, Bahasa Malaysia and Bahasa Indonesia

Trailer - not the original trailer found on the Celestial Region 3 dvd :tinysmile_angry2_t: but the crappy re-edited trailer. This is a minor complaint of mine.

Behind the scenes - similar to the Celestial dvd but different photos. looks like they are taken from the same series of photographs.

Photo Gallery - nice black and white publicity photos and movie shots

Shaolin - A Hero Birthplace - same as from the Celestial dvd and DD releases

The English subs are probably more in line with the Celestial version than the DD blu-ray. I would need to sit down and watch more and compare. Also, the menu is a thing of beauty. It is simple yet very classic at the same time. It really blends the whole package together with the box that it came in. At least this release leaves off the lame-ass extras from the Dragon Dynasty release. My only complaint so far is the lack of the original trailer. The PQ is really nice but it does show off some of the limitations from the original filming techniques used. And, yes, the postcards rock.

• Administrator
In AZ. It went from HK to Cali to AZ. But, I realized that I must have spent the extra money for courier shipping. Oh well. Its better to get it here this quick than to have to look in the mailbox everyday wanting it to be there. :big smile:

You must've paid for super fast shipping, because that's insane! :smile: I'm sure I'll have to wait a couple of weeks.

Bob, All 3 films have the English dub!!!

Thanks for the info!

And double thanks for the comparison photos. :bigsmile: Wow, what a difference! :nerd:

Archived