Kung Fu Angels (2015) - New Movie from Director Herman Yau

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Japan recently gave us 'High Kick Angels', so not to be outdone, Hong Kong is unleashing its own 'Kung Fu Angels', directed by Herman Yau.

Yau has given us some of the best movies in recent times which have looked to combine a solid plot with kung-fu action, from taking on both the young and the old Ip Man with 'Ip Man: The Legend is Born' and 'Ip Man: Final Fight' respectively, to adapting the tale of writer and revolutionary Qiu Jin in 'The Woman Knight of Mirror Lake'.

So any news of him making a female-centric kung-fu movie has my undivided attention. At least, it did until I read this review -

http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews_2/kung_fu_angels.html

& then watched this -

EfzN4MDR-PA

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A "kids" movie. Colorful, dumb. Don't think there's a female here that weighs 100 pounds. That was kind of yucky. Yeah, I said yucky.

Action is done by my man Tony Tone Leung. Very heavy on the wires but TL's wire stuff is better than others. Actually way too wirey. This has more kf type chor. than any of the others as well(hands, weapons, poles, shields). Action is not as good as it would have been with real screen fighters and fewer wires although one female is decent.

ShaOW!linDude

Wow, that's a slamming review you linked, OAB.

The final sentences really say it all:

Kung Fu Angels is best seen as background chatter when it’s already on TV and you’re too lazy to change channels because you’re busy clipping your toenails. This is for people who demand the absolute minimum from their entertainment. Please don’t be one of those people. (Kozo, 12/2014)

Well, so much for that.

One Armed Boxer
Wow, that's a slamming review you linked, OAB.

It's a shame, even when Yau is operating in second gear he still usually cranks out some interesting stuff. His 2008 movie, 'The First 7th Night' is one of my favorite Hong Kong movies of the last 10 years. I really wonder how he ended up making this....

Archived