Taking Manhattan (1992) - Is the English dub Rare?

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

I've recently come into the posession of the Australian VHS of 'Taking Manhattan', which contains the original English dub, and I've heard that this is considered to be very rare and never released on DVD.

I'll be sending the VHS to Mike Leeder who was looking for it to pass onto a cast member from the movie itself, but before I do, would it be worth transferring the movie onto DVD if anyone here would be interested to have a copy?

I'm not a member of any torrent sites like ADC club, so I don't know if this may be readily available on there, but thought it it's considered to be difficult to get hold of, it would be worth making a DVD copy before sending it on.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it a full English dub? Or does it mix Cantonese and English? Sync sound?

Either way, I'd highly recommend backing it up, because if it's the original audio, then it's definitely something to be coveted. Kirk Wong always intended the film to be mostly in English, the film being a fish-out-of-water story. Golden Harvest/Paragon, not knowing what to do with the film, balked at releasing a film largely in English, and completely redubbed it into Cantonese, which completely ruined the whole point of the film.

• Administrator
Never heard of this. Any fu in it?

I can't remember if it has any hand-to-hand in it, but I recall a bunch of shootouts.

Anybody? Fisticuffs in this one?

There is a bit of rough fighting in it but as a single reason to watch this film it's just not enough of it. And it's nothing special, no fu.

actually English is the original SYNCH SOUND Audio, Cantonese is the dub here... German VHS is based on the English Version but only has foreign Dialogue and Action Scenes with Original Audio in it.

i would gladly dub the Original Audio onto HK DVD or French DVD (better Video)

ShaOW!linDude
There is a bit of rough fighting in it but as a single reason to watch this film it's just not enough of it. And it's nothing special, no fu.

Ah. Okay, I'm out. Thanks.

odioustrident

If the entire film is in English it's a dub... still rare. If there is two languages it should be the sync original. Either way it's worth copying.

One Armed Boxer

I can confirm having now watched it that the VHS contains the original synch sound, so is both English and Cantonese.

I posted a full review of the movie here -

http://www.cityonfire.com/taking-manhattan-1992-review-kirk-wong-hong-kong-carrie-ng/

& for anyone who is interested in a copy, I posted in the Marketplace here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?p=250100#post250100

Archived