TVB Series Getting DVD Re-releases in HK - Sub and a Dub?

Ronin

I don't know much about Hong Kong/Chinese TV series, but spotted some upcoming DVD releases (from Hong Kong) that may be of interest to folks on this board. Anyone with info/recommendations/reviews of these series, please feel free to reply.

The Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre (think this is the one from 1978 with Adam Cheng) - 5 discs - Region Free - No English subs, but English language audio is listed, so I guess there was an English dub of this series? 1/22/2015 release date

The Yang's Saga - 2 discs - Region Free - English subs - 1/22/2015 release date

The Return of the Condor Heroes (think this is the 1983 series with Andy Lau) - 12 discs - Region Free - English subs - 1/29/2015 release date

The Fearless Duo - 5 discs - Region Free - English subs - 1/29/2015 release date

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yang Wu Liang

Have you got links for these mate?

If it's the 1985 Yang's Saga the cast looks great and I'd definately be interested in HS&DS if it's got Adam Cheng.

Have you got links for these mate?

If it's the 1985 Yang's Saga the cast looks great and I'd definately be interested in HS&DS if it's got Adam Cheng.

Information came from my distributor in Hong Kong, so unfortunately no.

Looks like it is the 1985 Yang's Saga. One hell of a cast. They list Adam Cheng for HS&DS, I am just wondering about the supposed English dub!

You can find all of these in the preorder section of the site buyoyo.

A while ago, Daniel-in-taiwan on ebay had the subbed version of Return of the Condor Heroes, and vcddvd88 had the subbed version of The fearless duo (I don't know if it's still availablefor this latter...).

If you want a review of the series Heaven sword and Dragon sabre, you can read the one I wrote in the section Adam Cheng's tv series for the 2008 version. Except for a part of the story of the 2008 one, the plot is the same for the 1978 version, but the TVB one is better, at least in my opinion...

I just realized that I made an ENORMOUUUUSSS mistake in my previous post !! Of course, the review I was talking about is the one of Book and Sword, not of Heaven sword and dragon sabre.

Here is a short synopsis of what I understood when I watched the Mandarin version.

Ha Yu and Gigi Wong play a couple belonging to two different clans and who fall in love. They are less or more kidnapped by Shih Kien and " land " on an isle where Gigi Wong gives birth to a boy called Zhang Wu Ji and Shih Kien (who is now blind, if I remember well) becomes his godfather and the three of them teach him martial arts.

Later, the couple return to Ha Yu's clan, but all the clans want to get a martial arts book they have found and in order to avoid the book being stolen on bad purpose, Ha Yu finally commits suicide, and his wife is so desperate that she kills herself too, leaving Zhang Wu Ji alone. The boy has to escape because everybody is after him and he falls from a cliff and finds shelter in a cave where he is helped and raised by a white monkey.

When he is a man, he meets a lot of people who is still looking for the martial arts book, among whom there is the Emei sect, with Angie Chiu playing the elder student, another sect using poisons, and Liza Wang's clan. The three girls (one of them belongs to the poison clan) fall for him and he finally decides to marry Angie Chiu, but Liza Wang discovers that Angie's purpose is only to get the book and that it's her who killed the girl from the poison clan, so, Wu Ji fights with Angie in order to save Liza and he finally escapes with Liza in order to cure her and the two of them decide to find out who are the good guys and who are the bad guys among all the clans. There is also a story with the Mandchous, if I'm not mistaken, and Liza's father and brother are trapped by the Mandchous and finally, Zhang Wu Ji gets rid of the bad guys, but Liza has been trapped and the end of the series lets suppose that she is dead.

It's a superb series.

I also post this mini review in my thread devoted to Adam Cheng's series and sorry again for the mistake.

shaolin swords

definitely buying the heaven sword dragon sabre tv series you could not find these series with subs for your life let a lone dubbed in English for the heaven sword dragon sabre(AM SO SUPPED UP FOR THAT) hope more series to come out with subs or English dubbed

My English dubbed version is on its way...Yahooooo !! :bigsmile:

I hope that the dubbers won't have these bad accents I often heard in the English dubbed old school kung fu movies from the 80's...

My English dubbed version is on its way...Yahooooo !! :bigsmile:

I hope that the dubbers won't have these bad accents I often heard in the English dubbed old school kung fu movies from the 80's...

Please post your thoughts on the quality of the DVDs when you get them!

I recieved the series today and I just checked the discs.

It wasn't an utopia, there really is an English dubbed version of Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre !!!:wink::wink::bigsmile::bigsmile:

From what I heard when I checked the discs, the dubbing seems to be good. Regarding the quality print, it seems to me that it's the same quality as the vcds print I already have and for me it's good, because I'm used to watch my movies in my computer or on a small screen portable dvds player. However, even if it was only a fair quality print, the fact it's English dubbed is enough to be satisfied with this purchase.

The series comes in two dvds cases with 5 dvds and the two cases are in a slipcase.

Each dvd lasts between 3h30mn and 3h45mn.

I don't know if someone else has already bought it, but for those who don't read Chinese (everything is written in Chinese, so, it's difficult to verify if it's really English dubbed if you read what is written on the slipcase or the boxes), when you're in the menu, you have to click on the very right button in order to find the setup menu. Then, a page with 7 lines apears.

You have to click on the right button of the second line if you want the English language, and then, you click on the left button of the 7th line in order to play the episodes.

I hope that this post will help those who want to get this excellent series.

Archived