I'm Not Bruce (2015) - New Bruceploitation Documentary Kickstarter Campaign

One Armed Boxer

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DragonClaws
$2339 raised with just 8 hours to go.

I'm genuinely surprised that the director hasn't been more proactive at posting about the actual clones who are the main selling point for this project.

While the main page still advises that he needs the funds for international travel to 'try and locate' the clones, Ricky Baker has almost finalised bringing Ho Chung Tao (Bruce Li) over to the UK for an Eastern Heroes event, and Mike Leeder has had several meetings (one of them being an interview) with Bruce Le.

I honestly don't think that guys like Le & Li are that difficult to get in contact with if you know the right channels, you just need a computer and an internet connection, set up the meeting, then I'm sure plenty more backers would have come on board knowing that actual interviews had been arranged.

I know little about these Kick-Starter projects. Do people who started the idea for a project keep the funds raised even if the projects a no go?. If that is the case it doesn't surprise that people exploit this for there own means.

Ho Chung Tao coming to the U.K sounds interesting.

I know little about these Kick-Starter projects. Do people who started the idea for a project keep the funds raised even if the projects a no go?. If that is the case it doesn't surprise that people exploit this for there own means.

No, if the target amount is not reached, then all donations are refunded.

I've kickstarted 3 projects in the past and know a few people who have put projects up for funding.

Truthfully, it's a very tricky thing to get right. The problem with this particular project is obvious: he was simply asking for far too much money.

Shame, as the work he's already done may very well never see the light of day.

He could restart down the line, however, and ask for less money.

DragonClaws
No, if the target amount is not reached, then all donations are refunded.

I've kickstarted 3 projects in the past and know a few people who have put projects up for funding.

Truthfully, it's a very tricky thing to get right. The problem with this particular project is obvious: he was simply asking for far too much money.

Shame, as the work he's already done may very well never see the light of day.

Thanks for explaining things Karlos.

It would be a shame if the materiel he has collected went unused. This must have happened with abandoned projects in the past.

One Armed Boxer

Received this in my inbox this morning -

Unfortunately, Bruceploitation Documentary by Nickolas Nielsen was not successfully funded.

Hi there,

Thanks for being a backer of Bruceploitation Documentary Unfortunately, this project did not reach its funding goal by its deadline. Because funding on Kickstarter is all or nothing, your pledge of $xx.xx has been automatically canceled and your card will not be charged.

The fact that you showed your support is still appreciated! If you’d like to follow along with the creator’s next steps, stay tuned to their updates You can even drop them an encouraging message or comment on their project page

Thanks again for supporting this project.

Kickstarter ‏

The other option would be to go with a platform like Indiegogo which gives you the choice of flexible funding, so even if you don't meet the intended goal, whatever money you have raised can still be used for the project.

Phantom Dreamer

Would have been an interesting project 15-20 years ago, not so much now, too much time has passed.

ThunderScore
I interviewed (Bruce) Le for an upcoming book, and have had several meetings with including one last week about collaborating on some further projects

Please post any updates!

One Armed Boxer

Update from the director -

Plans after Kickstarter

Well Everyone,

First and foremost I would like to say to all of you, thank you so much for all the love and support you've given towards this project. This has been an amazing journey so far and we have all learned so much. Sadly however, we did not make our kickstarter goal for our documentary. Some people asked why we asked for so much money?

The answer:

1. Better equipment

2. International travel for me and my team (including hiring translators)

3. Being able to shoot our own Bruceploitation skits/shorts with actors and crew members

4. Paying for the rights to use Bruce Lee's copyrighted footage from studios

5. Music

6. Post production

7. Film festivals and promotional material

And so on.

With all that said... We are still making this documentary regardless. We still have several more interviews lined up and plenty of interested people who want to see this get made. And we have no intention of letting them or you all down.

-Nickolas Nielsen (Director)

PS We didn't post anything earlier because we were too busy interviewing Marty Kove (The Karate Kid 1-3) about Bruce Lee, Bruceploitation, working with Bolo Yeung, & martial arts cinema

DragonClaws

I wonder how much they charge to use the clips from the Bruce Lee films?. Death By Misadventure used clips from Bruce Lee clone films instead of actual film his clips.

Archived