I'm Not Bruce (2015) - New Bruceploitation Documentary Kickstarter Campaign

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Filmmaker Nickolas Nielsen is planning to make a brand new documentary on the Bruceploitation genre, and has turned to crowdfunding to help make it come true.

You can check out the link below to contribute.

If he can fulfil his claim that he's going to track down and interview all of the Bruceploitation stars that are still alive and kicking, along with a host of other vintage HK talent, then this would definitely be something special.

I'm a glass half full kind of guy, so I made a pledge!:tongue:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/goodmorrowpictures/bruceploitation-documentary?ref=hero_thanks

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're asking for $96000....... Sorry but in these days and age this is not happening. I doubt it will even reach $2000. Just being realistic.

They're asking for $96000....... Sorry but in these days and age this is not happening. I doubt it will even reach $2000. Just being realistic.

No kidding, especially in our niche hobbie...

If it wasn't for that, I'd definitely throw some geets in.. but it seems destined for failure if thats what it'll take for it to take off.

Definitely going to pledge.This is great news.

The funding goal is high, but very VERY possible. All it takes is a few solid producers (who will probably put in privately outside of the Kickstarter realm), creative self-selling, several maxed out credit cards and pissed off family members you borrowed money from.

Mark Hartley did it. His first two films were totally for niche markets.

You gotta remember, they pumped Bruceploitation flicks out like hot cakes in the 70s, so there IS an audience beyond the few kung fu film forums on the net. They don't keep re-releasing these cheap "Bruce Li" compilations because they collect dust. They're making money. The average person buys Bruce Lee: The Man, The Myth 5 times in their lifetime. :)

Plus, "throwback" stuff is all the rage these days (although it is shifting from the 70s to the 80s a bit)

By the way, check out little bruce lee.

One Armed Boxer

I can understand the concerns, $96,000 over a 60 day funding period is $1600 per day, which seems unlikely.

I also believe out of the 2 major crowdfunding platforms - Kickstarter and Indiegogo - it's Kickstarter which commits its fundraisers to reaching their goal, or no money will be deducted.

I remember funding the Stunt People's campaign to create a feature length Star Wars Go-pro movie, but ended up receivng a notification that the campaign didn't reach its target by the set date, so no money would be taken from my account.

I want to be enthusiastic and hope that this happens, although most obviously the documentary on Hwang Jang Lee, 'The Anonymous King', also attempted crowdfunding - and that was only for post-production work, the interviews with HJL were all in the bag - however it wasn't successful, and now 5 years later it's still stuck in post production funding issues.

I think Nickolas Nielsen would perhaps benefit from tightening up the page a little bit. I pledged, however his comments of using the funding for international travel to "try" and locate the guys could probably be phrased a little better. At the bare minimum, you would hope he has some trusted contacts over there who can put him in touch with these guys, or even have interviews setup already, rather than flying to a place like Hong Kong and just "trying" to find them.

I already received Update #1 from the project in my e-mail, which I've copied below -

Late last year we interviewed Hollywood Legend Mel Novak (Game of Death, Sword of Heaven) about his work on Bruce Lee's last film and his work with Bruce's stand-in Kim Tai-Chung (Tower of Death, No Retreat No Surrender). Mel had some amazing stories that we can't wait to share with all of you.

I can understand the concerns, $96,000 over a 60 day funding period is $1600 per day, which seems unlikely.

Here's proof that anything is possible.

One Armed Boxer
Here's proof that anything is possible.

Very true. mpm74 you should reach out to this guy to help him out, the way your post was written over at cityonfire made me want to contribute more than the actual Kickstarter page itself!

One Armed Boxer

Mike Leeder has confirmed on Facebook that he's just completed filming a full length English language interview with Bruce Le. I have a feeling it's not connected to this project though, although even if that's the case, Nickolas would do well to get in touch with Mike to minimise his attempts of trying to track him down. It would be a good place to start.

Very true. mpm74 you should reach out to this guy to help him out, the way your post was written over at cityonfire made me want to contribute more than the actual Kickstarter page itself!

lol Thanks, man. First compliment I received this year :)

Come to think of it.... I'm surprised Hartley hasn't touched on the subject of Bruceploitation.

One Armed Boxer
lol Thanks, man. First compliment I received this year :)

Wouldn't surprise me if it's your last.

Come to think of it.... I'm surprised Hartley hasn't touched on the subject of Bruceploitation.

I'm just making an assumption here, but I would presume he isn't that familiar with it. That's the only possible reason I can think of as to why it, unforgivably, didn't get a single mention in his documentary about the Filipino exploitation scene, 'Machete Maidens Unleashed'.

One Armed Boxer

The latest update on this has just been posted -

Yesterday we visited the set of Leo Fong's newest film "Runaway Killers" where we spoke with Mr. Fong about Bruce Lee and various other topics.

The project itself has raised $1822 of its $96,000 goal with 31 days to go.

One Armed Boxer

Latest update -

We will be speaking Deborah Dutch (The Hollywood Warrioress) about her work on "Bruce Lee Fights Back From the Grave", working with Jun Chong (aka Bruce K.L. Lee), the film's legacy, and her thoughts on Bruceploitation films.

The project itself has raised $1827 of its $96,000 goal with 26 days to go.

One Armed Boxer

Latest update -

EXCLUSIVE!!! Andre Morgan (Enter the Dragon, Game of Death) Interview

We sat down and interviewed Producer Andre Morgan, the man who worked with Bruce Lee on "Enter the Dragon", "Way of the Dragon", and "Game of Death."

We spoke about working with Bruce Lee, production on "Game of Death" (before & after Bruce's untimely death), and we even spoke in great lengths on the subject of ‪#‎Bruceploitation‬

And as an exclusive to our documentary, Andre told me the true meaning behind Bruce's yellow tracksuit in "Game of Death."

Can't wait to share all of this with you!

The project itself has raised $2012 of its $96,000 goal with 16 days to go.

2197 Dollars so far, only 10 days left..

...i'm afraid this Bruceploitation Documentary is going to stay an unfulfilled dream... :squigglemouth:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
2197 Dollars so far, only 10 days left..

...i'm afraid this Bruceploitation Documentary is going to stay an unfulfilled dream... :squigglemouth:

It's not time to throw in the (yellow, black-striped) towel... It's time to push and spread the word! :nerd: Anybody that wants to see this happen has to give a few dollars and start shouting from the rooftops (or at least telling everyone via social media) about it. Every little bit counts. Don't think it doesn't.

If you are reading this, then GO DO IT NOW (as Arnold would shout)! :smile:

One Armed Boxer

More updates -

Deborah Dutch talks about "Bruce Lee Fights Back From the Grave"

Yesterday I sat down with the wonderful, beautiful Debbie Dutch (aka Deborah Chaplin) about a little film she worked on called "Bruce Lee Fights Back From the Grave" and she had some amazing stories and insight about the film.

More words of encouragement

Leo Fong sat down with us to discuss his amazing life, his relationship with Bruce Lee, his journey into filmmaking, and even his thoughts on ‪#‎Bruceploitation‬ (he even told a funny story about meeting Bruce Li). Afterwards he gave a copy of his book to director Nickolas Nielsen and gave him some words of encouragement.

The project itself has raised $2197 of its $96,000 goal with 8 days to go.

I wonder what will happened to these interviews now that it's obvious that the target will be short by $93000.

One Armed Boxer

$2339 raised with just 8 hours to go.

I'm genuinely surprised that the director hasn't been more proactive at posting about the actual clones who are the main selling point for this project.

While the main page still advises that he needs the funds for international travel to 'try and locate' the clones, Ricky Baker has almost finalised bringing Ho Chung Tao (Bruce Li) over to the UK for an Eastern Heroes event, and Mike Leeder has had several meetings (one of them being an interview) with Bruce Le.

I honestly don't think that guys like Le & Li are that difficult to get in contact with if you know the right channels, you just need a computer and an internet connection, set up the meeting, then I'm sure plenty more backers would have come on board knowing that actual interviews had been arranged.

Mike Leeder

The director and myself did briefly communicate, i politely mentioned to him that point 'asking for funds to try and find these guys' doesnt make it sound very good, and also that perhaps asking Shannon Lee to be interviewed about people who made a living impersonating her father might not be a good idea , and telling him we could set up an interview with Le, and he never bothered to get back to me after that

I interviewed Le for an upcoming book, and have had several meetings with including one last week about collaborating on some further projects

Archived