The Pirates (2014) & The Pirates: The Last Royal Treasure (2022)

AlbertV

http://www.dvdreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/PiratesKorean.jpg

mb9vAkwRy0I

Well Go USA is releasing this swashbuckler action-comedy next week on DVD and Blu-Ray. I got to watch it last night and it is quite a fun film. Revolves around mountain bandits vying with pirates to find a whale who has swallowed the Royal Seal from the Ming Dynasty, which was to have been given to Koryo. Takes place a decade before the Joseon era.

I will be doing a full movie/Blu-Ray review later today :)

• Like 1

The Korean store where I buy some of my stuff never got the Korean Blu-ray (not sure if one was release). So I will be getting this one next week - both Best Buy & Amazon have it on pre-order for $11.99.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
The Korean store where I buy some of my stuff never got the Korean Blu-ray (not sure if one was release).

Not even the DVD release is out yet, it's hitting shelves on February 11th as a 2-DVD First Press Limited Edition including a photobook and a bunch of postcards. Looks like a nice set. -

http://www.yesasia.com/global/the-pirates-dvd-2-disc-first-press-limited-edition-korea-version/1038102245-0-0-0-en/info.html

Personally I'll be giving this one a miss, with the exception of the review on the main site I've yet to read a single good thing about this. There's another review from the guys over at Twitch here -

http://twitchfilm.com/2014/08/review-lame-leads-sink-the-pirates.html

• Like 1

On paper the story probably seemed like a good idea. Even better with two well known actors. Along with Son Ye Jin's first foray into action movies. The movie is not going for historical accuracy. It felt sort of like Pirates of the Caribbean The flashback for the two leads to build on their characters was pretty brief and didn't do much for them. There were lots of gags that didn't work. The pacing was a issue. One or two of the fights showed potential but the rest of the movie just didn't have what it took to keep me entertained. Son Ye Jin also seemed to phoning in her performance. I never took her seriously as some badass pirate. Some may like it more but I feel it is a rental at best. $12 for a new release on Blu-ray is a decent price. But if you value your cash or shelf space. Rent it first. If you're looking to get the Korean release which always high priced. Definitely rent it first.

• Like 1

Entertaining if forgettable nonsense with a couple of impressive action and spectacle scenes but a bit too much cartoon-ish humor for my taste. Characters could also have benefited from being a bit more fleshed out. And by "a bit" I mean "a lot"... Similar to THE HUNTRESSES.

• Like 1

I initially passed on this one but when I found out my girl Sulli from f(x) was in this I watched it immediatley. I really enjoyed it. It is too long but the action and comedy and performances more than make up for it. I'd watch it again which is something I haven't been able to say with most post 2000 films.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
17 minutes ago, bigrogie said:

In so many scenes Han Hyo-Joo reminded me so much of Nora Miao :smile.

I'd say you may have just given half of the Kung Fu Fandom members a reason to watch it. :tongueout

• Like 2
  • Haha 1