My Top 10 Movie Car Chase Scenes

masterofoneinchpunch

Hakunetsu Dead Heat (1977) is also a pretty fun Japanese car chase film. It's more of a grindhouse fare, the kind of film that you'd imagine young Quentin Tarantino watching in his video store days.

The storyline is pure genre film gold: the lives of three carefree youngsters change one night when one of them challenges the wrong car at the traffic lights, leaving him dead at the bottom of a river. His best friend swears for revenge. He uses all his savings for a turbo charged Toyota Celica 2000GT LB and goes after the mysterious phantom driver in Nissan Ken & Mary 2000GTX Hardtop who killed his friend.

It's not exactly a great movie, but it's fun and packed with entertaining car action. I have the Japanese dvd, which also comes with a nice booklet.

heat1.jpg

heat2.jpg

hak4.jpg

hak5.jpg

hak6.jpg

heat3.jpg

hak7.jpg

hak8.jpg

Booklets

hak3.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch
Another Japanese film I recommend is the existential car chase film Hairpin Circus (1972). In some respects, it could be described as the Japanese Vanishing Point. ...

Thanks again. I appreciate those suggestions (including Hakunetsu Dead Heat) I will keep these in mind, though I wish there were subs available. Now in dealing with existential car chase films I prefer Two-Lane Blacktop to Vanishing Point.

Charles"The Man"Bronson flick Cold Sweat has excellent car chase.

Thanks. I do need to improve my Charles Bronson watchings of later films (I have seen a decent amount of his smaller performances in film noir, westerns, TV but not as much of his 70s and 80s output.)

Nice to see an Italian movie mentioned. I'm looking forward to exploring these movies. I've only seen 4 but I've heard there's a lot of good Italian movie car chases.

Oh yeah, they're as good and intense as anything Hollywood was putting out at the time ('70s).

The Italian Connection (La Mala Ordina) is a good one to start with as it's just a great overall film.

Archived