My Top 10 Movie Car Chase Scenes

masterofoneinchpunch

masterofoneinchpunch

My Top 10 Movie Car Chase Scenes:

I originally wrote this to reply to Morgoth at Bullet and Babes on my favorite car chases. It got larger and larger so I thought someone might read this here.

There are a few movies like Duel, Smokey and the Bandit, Two-Lane Blacktop and Vanishing Point where it feels (or is) one big car chase. There are also scenes like the

in The Driver, the
in Sherlock Jr. which are quite fun, but does not fit here. All of those movies are worth watching but did not quite make the list below. My ranking is based on a mix of aesthetics, visceral excitement, what the scene meant in the movie and random capricious criteria only known by myself. This is the first initial draft so I will modify this, look at several more films and increase the wordage now and later (I will eventually use this as an article at some point.) The order is not set, but is close to what I feel are my favorite car chase scenes.

Notable not have seens: Bad Boys 2 (2003), Blazing Magnum (1976), Dirty Mary Crazy Larry (1974), Gone in 60 Seconds (1974 and 2000), La Mala Ordina (1972), Let's Not Get Angry (1966), Violent Panic: The Big Crash (1976). I have not seen any of the Fast and Furious movies.

1) Bullitt (1968: Peter Yates): Iconic car chase scene. Probably the most famous of all-time. But it is well done with great scenery and hill use in San Francisco. How many times have you wanted to drive like this when you were there? The opposing driver (Bill Hickman in the Charger) is an actual stunt driver and Steve McQueen had very good car skills so often the camera would show them actually driving (Bud Ekins did do a lot of that chase in the Mustang though.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31JgMAHVeg0, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk9SZbrh_Tg.

2) To Live and Die in L.A. (1985: William Friedkin): Intense. This is from an underrated film (yes there are no good guy characters) that is a favorite of mine. But even if you do not like the unlikeable performances the car chase is often talked about as one of the best of all-time. For good reason. A car chase that leads on the freeway especially in LA is not new; however, going in the reverse direction after chasing a train, driving in the sewer. Do Not Enter. Wrong Way. Freakin awesome. Ronin would copy some of this.

3) The Blues Brothers (1980: John Landis): This film has two of my favorite car chases of all-time. But my favorite of the film is the inner-mall car chase. “You want out of this parking lot. OK.” I always want to say that. This is one of the funniest, most destructive and creative car chases I have ever seen. “This place has got everything.”

4) The French Connection (1971: William Friedkin): what is it with Freidkin and good car chases. The parallel action between the train and speeding car helps. Of course complete disregard for the public helps as well. It is reminiscent of some of Hong Kong’s action scenes where not everyone who was watching the car chase knew it was being filmed. That crash at 2:42 on the youtube link was not scripted.

5) The Seven-Ups (1973: Philip D'Antoni): More muscle car action this time with a Pontiac Ventura in the streets of New York. You will notice you see Bill Hickman (Bullitt) again as the baddie driver. Just compare his cool composure to the passenger. One of the more underrated car-chase scenes. This is probably due to the fact that the film is not as well known.

6) Drive (2011: Nicolas Winding Refn): As much as Refn stated he had not seen The Driver (another film I love) before this movie I really do not believe him. Regardless, the opening sequence of the nameless driver doing what he does best – getting away from the police. It is an awesome LA sequence with a mixture of strategy, a variety of speeds, a cool driver and not so cool passengers. One of the best new chase scenes I have seen in ages. Sorry no clip for it.

7) Ronin (1998: John Frankenheimer): The end of this chase copies To Live and Die in L.A. But overall it is a solid, European car chase with plenty of narrow escapes, destruction, innocent bystanders and tiny European cars meeting their doom. The editing on this is well done and good transition from actors to the car sequences. Here you finally get a female driver (Natascha McElhone).

8) Police Story (1985: Jackie Chan): I always like destruction in my car chase scenes. But how about the destruction here which is the complete dismantling of the made-for-the-movie shanty town and complete disregard for the safety of the stunt-men (maybe not complete, but several would get injured, some quite badly.) This is short, but I still find it rewatchable. There would later be an homage in Bad Boys 2. Check out the link below to see the influences of Police Story.

Link: Police Story Vs. Tango & Cash / Rapid Fire / Bad Boys II

9) The Italian Job (1969: Peter Collinson): For comedic effect, strategy, location shots and just plain coolness this Mini-Cooper chase scene is a must watch. Just look at all the places those tiny little cars go. This also shows that you do not have to have an overly powerful vehicle to have an effective car chase (though it does help.) Of course if you are not a fan you will like what happens to them. This movie was remade in 2003.

(warning spoilers at end)

10) The Driver (1978: Walter Hill): While this choice has the biggest chance of disappearing off the list as I look over many more chases it is still quite an effective chase full of bravado, a stoic driver (Ryan O’ Neal), strategy, good camera placement and a decent amount of destruction. A film easily worth watching for not only the car chases but also the psychotic loner antihero which is a subgenre I am particularly fond of.

Honorable Mention:

(total destruction)

Honorable Mention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Hcsww2x84 (later chase)

Honorable Mention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-wCw5Lf3I.

Need to rewatch:The Bank Dick, Death Proof, Girl Shy, Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior.

Additional Links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8O_orAIDrI. I do not agree with the Matrix Reloaded inclusion though I do need to rewatch it. I need to rewatch Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior to see if I will rank that chase scene higher. Not having To Live and Die in L.A. is a joke.

The Five Best Car Chase Scenes In Movie History (moviefanfare)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

Love the list! I'm gonna have to rewatch at least 20 movies to be able to rank them. But for now here's my top 2.

Blazing Magnum- so much chasing in this movie. Isn't Stuart Whitman a bit old for this? But he can drive a car, I'll give him that. The big car chase clocks in at about 8 minutes, and there are no dull moments. It gets more and more frantic as it goes along. The criminal really wants to get away, and he's all over the road, changing directions alot, hitting other cars (especially the one chasing him), jumping over a train, going over a hill so fast that the car lands on its nose (but keeps on driving!)... Everything you would expect in a dream chase.

Gone in 60 Seconds (not that Angelina Jolie bullshit)- i haven't seen this one in quite awhile, probably because I used to watch it every day. The second half of the movie is one long chase. Lots of dangerous high speed stuff going on. It's not as carefully directed as a movie from a big production company, but it puts Vanishing Point to shame (a movie that I always see mentioned alongside Gone).

I need to see #s 1, 2, 5, 9 and 10 on your list.

Secret Executioner

LOVE the mall car chase scene from the Blues Brothers - "Can't Turn You Loose" is just a perfect soundtrack there.

The ending chase is great too with the Blues being chased by the police (a few dozens cars with mosty crashing in various spots on the way to Chicago) AND the Illinois Nazis (two Ford Pintos). :tongue:

masterofinchepunch: I suggest you give Let's Not Get Angry (original title: Ne Nous Fâchons Pas) a look. A 1966 French crime comedy film with Lino Ventura, Jean Lefebvre, Mireille Darc and Michel Constantin.

There's one driving scene involving Lino Ventura, Michel Constantin, a Renault 8 Gordini (French sport car from the 1960s) and a wine festival - it's not a chase, Lino Ventura and Michel Constantin are just rushing to go save Jean Lefebvre from what he does best in the film: getting in trouble.

nNYSjP0_A0k

For the dialogue bits, it's basically Michel Constantin offering to drive, but it seems Lino Ventura is scared when he is the passenger. :tongue:

Secret Executioner
The chase/fight in The Raid 2 is one of the best I've seen in a while. It takes something special to do such a good car chase (thanks to the great Bruce Law) and use the interior for a close quarters combat scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orNKptscG0A. Great list otherwise by the way.

I was surprised this one wasn't in the list. It's a really intense scene, though seeing it I was kinda wondering about the moves in such a confined space (the cars are big, but we're still talking of buff guys fighting in the backseat of a car). :squigglemouth:

masterofoneinchpunch

Godfrey: I put Let's Not Get Angry on a future watch list. The only issue I find is that it does not seem to be released here in the States. Hmmm. I generally always like Lino Ventura. I noticed that many of the great chase scenes have a scared passenger.

The Raid 2 has a good chase, so does Special ID (which I might actually like a bit more), they are just not top 10 for me. I'm going to give them both some time before I rewatch them (Special ID I plan on doing a longish review when I rewatch it.) You should not be surprised it [Raid 2] is not on it as I have seen a lot of chases :D.

If I was doing a top 10 chase (any type of chase) I would definitely have some silent movies included.

Random notes: I noticed a lot of lists had The Rock (a film I actually like) which has that fun but cinematically overdone San Francisco vertical chase. Several mention the Bourne series which I thought were decent but not even top 20 for me.

Secret Executioner
Godfrey: I put Let's Not Get Angry on a future watch list. The only issue I find is that it does not seem to be released here in the States. Hmmm. I generally always like Lino Ventura. I noticed that many of the great chase scenes have a scared passenger.

It's definitely worth a watch, though it's more a crime/comedy movie than really an action flick. Too bad it doesn't seem available in the US. I could help you with this one, but I don't think the French release has an English dub or even subtitles. :squigglemouth:

The Raid 2 has a good chase, so does Special ID (which I might actually like a bit more), they are just not top 10 for me. I'm going to give them both some time before I rewatch them (Special ID I plan on doing a longish review when I rewatch it.) You should not be surprised it [Raid 2] is not on it as I have seen a lot of chases :D.

Reminds me I'm planning to order Special ID, amongst (many many) other things. :smile:

If I was doing a top 10 chase (any type of chase) I would definitely have some silent movies included.

Would you also include some of the Benny Hill chases ? :xd: (now THAT is what I call a running gag haha)

A sort of chase I found funny re-watching it recently is in Disney's Robin Hood (the animated movie) after the cover is blown at the archery turnament. That chase is very lively and pretty funny, but the movie itself is a pretty good one - action, comedy and it's the only IIRC that is set in a world with ONLY anthropomorphic animals.

masterofoneinchpunch
... Reminds me I'm planning to order Special ID, amongst (many many) other things. :smile:

Would you also include some of the Benny Hill chases ? :xd: (now THAT is what I call a running gag haha)

A sort of chase I found funny re-watching it recently is in Disney's Robin Hood (the animated movie) after the cover is blown at the archery turnament. That chase is very lively and pretty funny, but the movie itself is a pretty good one - action, comedy and it's the only IIRC that is set in a world with ONLY anthropomorphic animals.

Well I would need subtitles :D.

Special ID has some great action scenes, but a mediocre plot. But I love the action. Mixed feelings.

Robin Hood was a favorite of mine growing up. I even had a record of the whole movie (might still have that.) I would have to do a lot more research on animated chases. I have a few in mind.

There are so many good chase scenes from the silent era (which Benny Hills references/homages with its undercranked scenes.) The Girl Shy reference I make is from Harold Lloyd which has one of the most well respected chase scenes. Buster has the great being chased by tons of women in

. I, of course, would prefer that you watch the whole film (same with Sherlock Jr.)

Of course while not a chase video, if you get a chance to see the short C'était un rendez-vous (1976) it is well worth it. The copy I originally saw is gone (I think because it came out on BD, vimeo has a copy online though it doesn't look great.)

Secret Executioner
Well I would need subtitles :D.

Figured. :squigglemouth:

Special ID has some great action scenes, but a mediocre plot. But I love the action. Mixed feelings.

Sounded that way from the reviews I read. Wanna see it because it has Donnie Yen TBH.

Robin Hood was a favorite of mine growing up. I even had a record of the whole movie (might still have that.) I would have to do a lot more research on animated chases. I have a few in mind.

Same here, one of my fav' Disney films. I should try and draw a list of my favorite Disney movies now that I'm repurchasing and revisiting these films on DVD (used to have a lot of those on VHS back when I was little in the mid-90s - I also saw The Lion King, Pocahontas and Mulan at the theater). :bigsmile:

There are so many good chase scenes from the silent era (which Benny Hills references/homages with its undercranked scenes.) The Girl Shy reference I make is from Harold Lloyd which has one of the most well respected chase scenes. Buster has the great being chased by tons of women in
. I, of course, would prefer that you watch the whole film (same with Sherlock Jr.)

I'm not too familiar with Keaton's works, but I've seen Sherlock Jr. a few years ago. Pretty funny film.

No love for Bond car chases huh?

"I have not seen any of the Fast and Furious movies."

That makes two of us. lol

Secret Executioner

Was gonna bring up For Your Eyes Only where he drives a Citroën 2cv. The cars used when making the movie weren't the genuine model, they had a more powerful engine from a bigger car (the Citroën GS).

2cv_007_AVG_T.gif

And Citroën even sold a "James Bond" version of the 2cv (essentially a version painted yellow with "007" signs on the sides). :xd:

Make it 3.

masterofoneinchpunch

Hey now I do love (at least the Sean Connery era; I've not seen four total out of the series) Bond films, just none of them made my cut. I figured someone hopefully would bring Bond up. It will give me a chance to rewatch some of those chases.

Mpm -- would you pick a particular Bond chase over my top 10? Which one (or more) and why?

I'm glad I haven't got chastised for not seeing the Fast and Furious :D. I actually do plan to eventually watch the first one (I bought it.)

Morgoth Bauglir

I saw Fast and Furious when it came out. I was a car nut back then. It was ok. I don't remember any chases, but I don't remember much at all about it. There is a decent racing scene at the end but mainly I remember Paul Walker and Vin Diesel staring at eachother before the race and how cheesy and stupid it was.

I watched Tokyo Drift on TV once. There's a good race at the start with Brad from Home Improvement, and the rest is forgettable. I don't remember any chases in this one either.

I picked up Bullitt today. I'm hoping to get To Live and Die in L.A. in the next month. Only $1.50 on Amazon.

masterofoneinchpunch
... I picked up Bullitt today. I'm hoping to get To Live and Die in L.A. in the next month. Only $1.50 on Amazon.

Woo hoo more Steve McQueen for you (referring to another thread on another site with Mo.) I'm a fan of the actor, though I know he has some detractors. To Live and Die in L.A. has quite a bit of mixed reactions from people I know as well as critics -- almost a dichotomy of love and hate (Roger Ebert's 4-star review -- which actually is the main reason I first saw the film). But I think it fits so well with the unlikable actors (always like William Dafoe) and the themes matching well with the LA environment (LA is overdone a lot in Hollywood films -- mostly for pragmatic reasons -- but the seedy underside works well here.)

Both films are influential so they are worthy watches even if you might not like them.

Mpm -- would you pick a particular Bond chase over my top 10? Which one (or more) and why?)

Most of the films on your list I haven't watched or haven't seen in a long time. But for some of the recent movies (like DRIVER), I can definitely think of some better car chases.

Here is just one that come to mind that doesn't get the credit it deserves...

Quantum of Solace: The opening car chase suffers a tad from the crazy shaky camera, quick cuts, etc. (just like the rest of the movie), but this scene is loud, gritty and beautiful! I swear, if you've been running and you're at your last breath, you'll definitely get a second burst of natural energy by viewing this intro! To my knowledge, I don't notice any CG in it. I might be wrong.

Secret Executioner
Woo hoo more Steve McQueen for you (referring to another thread on another site with Mo.) I'm a fan of the actor, though I know he has some detractors. To Live and Die in L.A. has quite a bit of mixed reactions from people I know as well as critics -- almost a dichotomy of love and hate (Roger Ebert's 4-star review -- which actually is the main reason I first saw the film). But I think it fits so well with the unlikable actors (always like William Dafoe) and the themes matching well with the LA environment (LA is overdone a lot in Hollywood films -- mostly for pragmatic reasons -- but the seedy underside works well here.)

Both films are influential so they are worthy watches even if you might not like them.

Recall seeing Bullit a few years ago - didn't enjoy it much, but I don't regret watching it. Will try and get To Live And Die In L.A., solely based on your recommendation.

ShaOW!linDude

The car chase in the Chow Yun Fat/Mark Walberg film The Corruptor has always stood out in my mind. CYF is a maniac in that.

The car chase in the Chow Yun Fat/Mark Walberg film The Corruptor has always stood out in my mind. CYF is a maniac in that.

That one comes to mind as well. :) It's violent, too. At one point, the chase stops and dozens of pedestrians are shot to death... then the chase continues!

Morgoth Bauglir

Watched Bullitt. Decent movie. Slightly above average. In the chase scene I actually liked how McQueen gets behind the car to start the chase more than the actual chase. It's a good chase and beautifully filmed, but not one of my favorites and not all that thrilling.

My favourite car chases (in approximately this order)

1. The Seven Ups (1973) (ever since I saw this as a kid, I've considered it the best)

2. Death Proof (absolutely breathtaking stunts)

3. The French Connection (1971)

(1972) (one of the most intense chases, especially when seen within the context of the storyline)

5. Ronin (1998) (the first chase)

6. Bullit (1968) (of course)

(1978) (the first chase)

8. To Live and Die in L.A. (1985)

9. Violent Panic: The Big Crash (1976) (Imagine Kinji Fukasaku directing a Halicki demolition derby chase in the same way as he did his yakuza films!)

10. For Your Eyes Only (1981)

masterofoneinchpunch
Most of the films on your list I haven't watched or haven't seen in a long time. But for some of the recent movies (like DRIVER), I can definitely think of some better car chases.

I think you mean Drive (the Nicolas Winding Refn film) not The Driver (the Walter Scott film.) For use of strategy I really cannot think of a better one. It's a mixture of speeds, use of location, sets up the mood for the film (my favorite of 2011), has passengers with good expressions, calm demeanor of the driver (just like The Driver), it works from a realistic standpoint and has a great ending. It is also one of my the more unique employed because of use of patience.

masterofoneinchpunch
My favourite car chases (in approximately this order)

1. The Seven Ups (1973) (ever since I saw this as a kid, I've considered it the best)

2. Death Proof (absolutely breathtaking stunts)

3. The French Connection (1971)

(1972) (one of the most intense chases, especially when seen within the context of the storyline)

5. Ronin (1998) (the first chase)

6. Bullit (1968) (of course)

(1978) (the first chase)

8. To Live and Die in L.A. (1985)

9. Violent Panic: The Big Crash (1976) (Imagine Kinji Fukasaku directing a Halicki demolition derby chase in the same way as he did his yakuza films!)

10. For Your Eyes Only (1981)

Thanks I'll add La Mala Ordina and Violent Panic: The Big Crash (not many IMDB votes on this one) to my list of need to watch films.

Morgoth Bauglir

Nice to see an Italian movie mentioned. I'm looking forward to exploring these movies. I've only seen 4 but I've heard there's a lot of good Italian movie car chases.

Thanks I'll add La Mala Ordina and Violent Panic: The Big Crash (not many IMDB votes on this one) to my list of need to watch films.

Another Japanese film I recommend is the existential car chase film Hairpin Circus (1972). In some respects, it could be described as the Japanese Vanishing Point. It's about a former race driver who is now working as driving instructor who gets harassed by a reckless youth gang lead by a young woman (!) in Toyota 2000GT. Very atmospheric, especially in the night scenes, and features very little dialogue. The driving scenes are good as well: the speed is a bit slow at times but the stunts and locations are real as you'd expect from a 1970s film and (if my old notes hold true) the film concludes with a 17 minute car chase).

The lead actor Kiyoshi Misaki was a former race driver. The filmmakers actually got a permission for him to take part in the 1971 Macao Grand Prix, which was written into the storyline and they filmed it all. He actually finished third!

Probably no subs exist, but like I said, there isn't much dialogue as far as I can remember. I have the Japanese dvd.

Trailer:

QnWVTXGznvQ

hair2.jpg

hair1.jpg

hair3.jpg

hairbb4.jpg

hair4.jpg

hairbb7.jpg

hairbb6.jpg

DVD menu

hairbb10.jpg

Archived