The Rescue (1971) - Lo Lieh's Highest Bodycount!

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's Lo Lieh, it's for me.

Good movie - Song period stuff.

They have to rescue some song (music song that is) or something an imprisoned big timer wrote.

As you can see, I'm not the best reviewer :biggrin: Just go see it!

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
If it's Lo Lieh, it's for me.

Good movie - Song period stuff.

They have to rescue some song (music song that is) or something an imprisoned big timer wrote.

As you can see, I'm not the best reviewer :biggrin: Just go see it!

Thanks E.E.

GD Y-Y

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Found this:

By Mark Pollard

Sung Dynasty loyalists make several daring attempts to rescue Lord Wen, a Sung minister imprisoned by conquering Mongols, who pens a patriotic song to inspire the people.

After the success of The Heroic Ones Shaw Brothers turned once again to the topic of Mongols, this time as Chinese patriots struggle against the invaders following the fall of the Sung Dynasty in 1279. The Rescue is a bloody wuxia film written and directed by Temple of the Red Lotus writer Chen Chiang. Although the film mostly takes place in and around a prison, it’s packed with high-flying swordplay courtesy of Tong Gaai and members of the Yuen Clan. Lo Lieh and Si Si make a formidable screen team who get a boost from the muscled Bolo Yeung.

Following the fall of the Sung Dynasty, a prominent minister named Wen Tien-hsiang is imprisoned by the conquering Mongols. Sung patriots plot to free the Lord from the Celestial Prison, by getting themselves arrested and having a spy release them once inside. But the general in charge of the prison (Chin Chi-chu) lays a deadly trap. With the help of a free-spirited hero named Heor Le-heru (Lo Lieh), patriot Bai Yaerh (Si Si) escapes the carnage and with more fighters in tow returns to the prison with a new plan to tunnel underground. Yet this is also a trap that forces Le-heru to cover the heroes’ escape. After convincing a Mongol-raised guard captain (Bolo Yeung) to join them, the patriots make a last-ditch attempt to save Lord Wen by posing as Mongols themselves and walking straight into the jail. They finally succeed in reaching Wen, who has starved himself to death. But the warriors find new hope in fighting their way out of the prison in order to preserve a stirring song the minister had written before his demise.

Action fans will have much to celebrate in The Rescue. It amounts to one elaborate fight scene after another with Lo Lieh and Si Si front and center through most of it. Lo Lieh makes a stellar entrance as a carefree kung fu hero who takes out several Mongol thugs, all salivating in Si Si’s direction. He does this with brutal efficiency by wielding a throwing axe attached to a chain. This incredible weapon shows up later when Lo is fighting in the prison. Being the roguish sort that he is, Lo’s only interest in helping the patriots is spurred by the lovely Si Si whom he follows around like a dog. But he ultimately proves to be as chivalrous as he is skilled. Chen builds up good tension between Lo and Si Si. It hits a high point when Lo takes the wounded Si Si to a brothel and she has a temperamental breakdown. But far from being an overly emotional or helpless maiden, Si Si breaks out excellent moves in nice long takes against multiple villains. She is a wonderful screen fighter with grace and fierceness who shines in this film. Bolo Yeung also sticks out in what initially seems like another thuggish role. But after dueling with Lo Lieh a couple of times, he comes around and joins the heroes for the film’s final confrontation. His strong man antics are entertaining.

The blood flows freely in this flick, much like Chang Cheh’s films. Expect to see brightly-colored spurting, slicing, and stabbing. There are no disembodied limbs, but several shots of axes imbedded into skulls are gruesome enough. As with most Shaw Brothers films, it’s excessive and not all too realistic. The same can be said for some of the wirework as well as fighters zoom across a room with wires occasionally in view. One of the best scenes involves Lo Lieh, surrounded by enemies, throwing a guard high up against a wall and skewering him in place with a spear. He then proceeds to toss several more spears into the wall, hoist an unconscious Si Si over his shoulder, and bound up and across the imbedded spears (think Michelle Yeoh versus Norman Tsu on a giant spear in Wing Chun).

The story falls short in The Rescue due to the repetitive nature of the heroes trying to break out someone who we know from the beginning will die. Yet there is some character development and the lead antagonist, played by Chin Chi-chu, is actually someone you can sympathize with as he wishes to stop the violence by getting the Sung people to support him. The prison set looks colorful, but fake in a stereotypical dungeon sort of way. Most of the costumes are very stagy. But as this film is first and foremost an actioner, these gripes are inconsequential for the choreography and lead performances are very good, with liberal doses of action keeping things moving along.

See, I was right :biggrin:

Sung Dynasty loyalists make several daring attempts to rescue Lord Wen, a Sung minister imprisoned by conquering Mongols, who pens a patriotic song to inspire the people.

I started watching this today! Got about 17 mins in before falling asleep lol, not the films fault though, I should never of laid down and put a sleeping bag over me while watching a film, always ends in the same way.. Zzzzz

Cant really comment on quality of the film, there was a couple of annoyances, but can be easily over looked and will be personal to me,

No Spoilers..

First, is a scene where it is on a Shaws Set, yet a different angle it is a real location, then back to set then back to real location.. now i dont have a problem with either, but when they are cut in together a few times to make 1 scene it stands out like a sore thumb..

Second, is no problem with the film per say, but my personal taste, Lo Lieh's character comes across as cocky and annoying, i do prefer the silent swordsman of honor type for him.. BUT this make change as the film goes on..

Going to continue it now

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Well now, what synchronicity Drunken Arts.

You give us your final take if you don't fall asleep.................LOL! :tongue:

king_of_beggars_3.jpg

GD Y-Y

it's Lo Lieh, it's for me.

Agreed. This is a movie I have wanted to see for a while, but couldn't find a good release of. I think I'll finally just give up and hit up the ADC for it. I heard it has a huge kill count, which always fun too.

i really like this one, very violent. fantastic battle at the end. i hope that an english dub will emerge someday, i know---wishful thinking. :bigsmile::xd::tongue:

Haha yeah i stayed awake this time.. lol

Im not great at writing reviews, but i really enjoyed this in the end, as said above its violent with alot of red paint sprayed.. :laluot_14:

Lo Liehs character was not as bad as i initally thought/feared.

The fights are a mixture of grounded and wire-work, mainly all weapons, Lo Lieh has a pretty cool weapon in it.. Some of the wire work is the typical jump over a huge wall, but other parts its used in battle, like kicking a guard in the chest that causes said guard to fly across the room and hit the wall etc, looks abit primitive but also looks cool too..

One of the ending scenes left me with an image i wont forgot in a while, which is good [No spoilers here fellas]

I had alot of fun with this one, A very solid 7.5 for me guys :bigsmile:

• Administrator
Well now, what synchronicity Drunken Arts.

You give us your final take if you don't fall asleep.................LOL! :tongue:

king_of_beggars_3.jpg

GD Y-Y

Love it! Perfect pick.:xd:

Agreed. This is a movie I have wanted to see for a while, but couldn't find a good release of. I think I'll finally just give up and hit up the ADC for it. I heard it has a huge kill count, which always fun too.

I bought this back in the early '2000s when IVL first released it, and still haven't watched it yet! For shame. :crossedlips: Sounds good though.

love it! Perfect pick.:xd:

I bought this back in the early '2000s when ivl first released it, and still haven't watched it yet! For shame. :crossedlips: Sounds good though.

you bastard!

I can't remember which movie, but one of these early Shaw movies with Lo lieh - he is only in it a bit in the beginning & the end. I think it is this one - or maybe Heroes of Sung. I guess I have to watch them again but I always liked the clan stuff rather than the Sung/Ming/Ching Dynasty stuff.

Lo Lieh seems to be cast as one of the leads in both The rescue and Heroes of Sung, so, it musn't be in one of these movies that you saw him in such a short role, unless I'm mistaken...

Lo Lieh seems to be cast as one of the leads in both The rescue and Heroes of Sung, so, it musn't be in one of these movies that you saw him in such a short role, unless I'm mistaken...

I know the exact scenes I am thinking of in my head, so I'll go back & find the movie & see just how much he was in it. He had some crazy armor on - that will be tonight's mission :smile2:

Secret Executioner

According to hkcinemagic, the only credit Lo Lieh gets for brief appearance is The Dancing Millionairess, a 1964 SB musical starring Betty Loh Ti and Peter Chen Ho. Doubt it's this film though as it seems to take place in a contemporary setting.

Lo Lueh has small roles in many movies, just look at the sheer volume of films he was in! With that said, I can't recall any where he has a suit of armor. Are you sure it was a Shaw film and not an indie?

I think he wears some armor with his mask in Heroes of the Wild.

Eastern Evil: I think the film you're looking for is The Silent Swordsman, Lo Lieh has a small role in it, and he definitely is wearing armor at the end.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Lo Lieh kills 78.

Shih Szu kills 57.

What movie?

The Rescue.

Below every death shown.

qmpQOix4jCQ

rescuei-01_zps65452374.jpg

GD Y-Y

Archived