Michael Mann

DiP

I'm currently on a "haven't watched these films yet" marathon and I would like your opinion on these films:

The Jericho Mile

L.A. Takedown (the original source material of Heat)

The Last of the Mohicans

Ali

Miami Vice

Public Enemies

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch

The only one of those that I have seen is The Last of the Mohicans, though it was when it came out and I was reading the book at the same time (which annoyed me because they were so different.) So my opinion on it would not be just.

Unfortunately what I have seen is just Thief, Heat, The Insider, and Collateral (I am a fan of all of those.) But I do own several that you mention so I will try to get a viewing of at least one within a few weeks (I know no good to you now.)

I have read a few places where some critics liken Johnnie To to Michael Mann. I'm been a little suspect on that, but I acknowledge some similarities (though critic Stephen Teo likens Patrick Leung to being stylistically similar to Michael Mann.)

Sure thing, take your time and let me know. I'm sure others can enlighten me on these films.

I have read a few places where some critics liken Johnnie To to Michael Man.

I can understand this comparison. I believe it has alot to with the their habit of lensing and creating moody settings through lighting/props. Stylistically though, they are of different caliber. If there's one Hong Kong director that would fit that "Mann comparison" bill it's either Ringo Lam or Kirk Wong. All three guys like to shoot stories as if they were documentaries aiming for realism. Mann and Lam's work are also inspired by French crime films (Jean-Pierre Melville).

Off your list, I’ve seen Ali. Wasn’t impressed. Dull. It concentrated too much on the political/Muslim part of his life, which makes total sense (it was a big chunk of his "story"), but in my opinion, it just didn’t translate well to a motion picture.

And the thing is with Ali (and most bio pics, especially of larger-than-life icons), the know you more about the subject matter, the more the movie doesn’t sweep you off your feet. It doesn’t help that Ali, in real life, lit the room on fire! He was/is a wondrous character, and nobody, and I mean NOBODY, could touch his act/personality, especially not Will Smith.

I am a fan of Mann. Recently watched Thief. Great movie. Legendary dialogue. But his film Ali… eh. Much of Mann's trademark artistry/skill is obviously present, but as a whole, I wouldn't waste your time unless you're a completionist.

Watch Niño Muhlach in Bruce liit instead.... and view it while you're eating chicharon with Mama Sita's sinamak!

P.S. I always saw a Mann/Tony Scott/Ridley Scott influence in To's films, especially towards the late 90s on...

You should get Jackiechanfan's useful input! ;)

From what I've seen of that list:

The Last of the Mohicans is overrated. It's sappy and fluffy, and none of it really feels earned. What little action there is is decent, Daniel Day-Lewis is and always will be Daniel Day-Lewis, so there's that, and the last 20 minutes or so were excellent. Other than that, it's just not my favorite Mann movie. It's not bad, by any stretch of the imagination, it's just not up to the rest of Mann's stuff.

Ali, I like a little more, but again, not one of my favorites.

Miami Vice is pretty good, but would have been better had it not taken itself so seriously. Mann leaned a bit too far towards "serious crime thriller" and maybe should have evened it out a little with "adult action movie". And a nice soundtrack would have been a plus.

Public Enemies is my favorite of the bunch. Depp seems ever-so-slightly bored, like he's not used to having to play so mellow. Bale does an admirable job as the straight man. The digital picture takes some getting used to at first, but it's got genuine pathos and some damn good action. Pretty cool to see Mann doing his thing with in a period setting.

I am a fan of Mann. Recently watched Thief. Great movie. Legendary dialogue. But his film Ali… eh. Much of Mann's trademark artistry/skill is obviously present, but as a whole, I wouldn't waste your time unless you're a completionist.

Watch Niño Muhlach in Bruce liit instead.... and view it while you're eating chicharon with Mama Sita's sinamak!

P.S. I always saw a Mann/Tony Scott/Ridley Scott influence in To's films, especially towards the late 90s on...

You should get Jackiechanfan's useful input! ;)

I'm gonna re-watch Thief later today. I remember really enjoying it despite its' slowpaced start.

Haha, thanks again for the Filipino-food-for-moviewatching-tip :tongue:

I think all these comparisons show that all three guys have something in common: Having the same influences of old filmmakers and their classics.

Off your list, I’ve seen Ali. Wasn’t impressed. Dull. It concentrated too much on the political/Muslim part of his life, which makes total sense (it was a big chunk of his "story"), but in my opinion, it just didn’t translate well to a motion picture.

Well, I felt the film does come across as somewhat episodic, slightly cluttered, disjointed and over-ambitious Then again, to do justice to Ali’s incredible life is probably nigh on impossible. I though dwelling on his identity struggle as a Black Muslim in the racist powder-keg that was America in the 60’s was not a wasted opportunity. There were some incredibly powerful images in this film, like when Ali just stops the car after he hears the news of Malcolm’s assassination on the radio and the total devastation of the character and the entire country is just so palpable. Mann struggled hard to encapsulate these essentials of Ali’s life, but as a whole the undertaking lacks cohesiveness. So overall it is not a successful film, but it should be seen for its stunning cinematography, its outrageously brilliant production design and location shooting, as well as for what is most definitely the career-best Will Smith performance ever.

When I recently re-watched PUBLIC ENEMIES I had similar thoughts. Production design and art direction that cannot be bettered, Depp was a well-chosen lead and Mann didn’t skimp on decent action design (especially the shoot-out at the bandit’s forest lair was very well staged – no match to the central gun-battle in HEAT though, but then... what is?). But again, things don’t gel all that well, there is a disjointedness to the whole film and sometimes it simply lacks rhythm. Impressive to watch and analyse, but emotionally not compelling enough to be drawn in.

Actually after I listened to Mann’s audio commentary (and its always great to prick up your ears and take in the man's erudite history & sociology lectures!) I warmed more towards the project, because he filled in what I felt were serious blanks especially in character development. Some fairly important character reactions became just so much clearer, especially the behaviour patterns of Dillinger’s lover, Billy Frechette. To be brutally honest, I enjoyed the audio commentary on the BD more than the actual film! Still, like with most (not all!) of Mann’s work, I ultimately found it rewarding to spend time with PUBLIC ENEMIES.

Archived