Just Heroes (1989)

David Rees

I have been after a good quality dvd of this John Woo action movie for years but for some reason it has not been released anywhere apart from France and that disc has no subtitles. I did have a Pal laserdisc years ago but that broke before i could transfer it.

Does anyone have any idea where i can trade a good quality fan sub version or even where it can be downloaded (i know we dont condone downloads but its not as if i can buy it anywhere!).:tinysmile_angry2_t:

Thanks for the offer Karl but i no longer have a VHS player!...Lets hope some enterprising company release it on dvd in the not to distant future!

I've got the Tai Seng VHS, which I understand is cut. I see the scene where Stephen Chow (SPOILER) gets shanked in the prison yard is more violent in the uncut print, but what about the gunplay scenes? any substantial additional footage in the shootouts?

UK VHS & Laserdisc are fully uncut, as is the French and Japanese DVD. the censored Version is harder to find these days! (HK VHS and LD)

yes, some bloody squibs are censored too, and the crucial Scene with Chen Kuan Tai's Wife, where she tells the truth. (also cut in the Flashback in Finale)

best is to get the Custom subbed uncut DVD on various torrent sites really...

https://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=17600&LanguageID=0

coming out on Dec 31st from CN entertainment. Likely to have the remixed sound effects I’m guessing? The main question is will it be the cut HK version as seen on the Tai Seng vhs or the full uncut version which I think was on UK vhs/laserdisc? Someone please let us know!

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

I read that JUST HEROES was a fundraiser for Chang Cheh, and ppl worked for free. Was Chang Cheh in financial trouble at that time, or  did he need money for a project or was it a gesture of appreciation or …?

• Like 3

It was to fund his retirement if I recall. So I think it was a combination of appreciation and him being in financial trouble. 

Of course, he later returned to making films so it's possible that he either couldn't bring himself/didn't want to completely retire. 

• Like 6

On 12/17/2020 at 8:17 PM, mark187 said:

https://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=17600&LanguageID=0

coming out on Dec 31st from CN entertainment. Likely to have the remixed sound effects I’m guessing? The main question is will it be the cut HK version as seen on the Tai Seng vhs or the full uncut version which I think was on UK vhs/laserdisc? Someone please let us know!

Spannick is reporting elsewhere that this is a horrible letterboxed upscale likely from an old VHS :speechless

• Like 3

Following up on what @Asmo said, this is from an interview with John Woo by Robert K. Elder (from the book John Woo: Interviews):

We wanted to make the movie to help our mentor, Chang Cheh. Chang Cheh was down [on his luck], and he was old, but he still wanted to continue making movies. But he was broke, had no money. He had never been backed by a studio or asked for anybody's help. He just waited, waited, waited to get some money to let him continue making films.

David Chiang [also known as John Chiang--ed.] and Danny Lee, we're good friends--they found out this situation. They wanted to help, and also to pay him back, because we all admire him, we learned so much from him. We wanted to make a movie and raise money just for him. So we all got together, all the actors who worked for him, because we were all his protégés, We made up a story called Just Heroes, and tried to make it like another version of A Better Tomorrow--that type of a film. We made it, as we got support from Golden Princess, and we all worked for free.

It did make some money, and all the money we gave to Chang Cheh. We wanted him to retire, because he was so old and sick. But after Chang Cheh got the money, he didn't listen to us, and he used that money to make another movie.

[Chang Cheh's] movie was made in China. He was a very strong character, he never liked to bother anyone, never liked to beg for money. So we gave it to him, and we wanted him to have a good life, a better life--living better for the rest of the life, but he didn't care about that.

Edited by silver roc
added attribution
  • Like 5

Shaolin Patriot

I see that John Woo's Just Heroes is available on Blu-ray and DVD through yesasia.com.  Has anyone purchased it?  I'd be interested in the video/audio quality.

https://www.yesasia.com/global/just-heroes-1989-blu-ray-hong-kong-version/1098295967-0-0-0-en/info.html#

https://www.yesasia.com/global/just-heroes-1989-dvd-hong-kong-version/1098295949-0-0-0-en/info.html

John-Woo-JUST-HEROES-Stephen-Chow-Danny-Lee.jpg.e71eb00de048097b0018c97075633ed5.jpg

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane

Quote from member @Spannick on Facebook.

"stone age PAL 25fps upscaled from SD version, with PAL pitch audio, and 25fps film speed. Amateurishly deinterlaced with constant ghosting, encoded as fake 24fps Video. Jaggies, horrid pixelation, all shit you would avoid at all cost : you can get here in one package.I would like to reward this piece of crap the: worst Bluray upscale from HK ever. I kid you not. yeah, the audio is 5.1 96khz upsamling superb on paper, but it's just original mono trapped inside."

• Like 3

Does anyone know of a decent release for this anywhere? The last time I saw Just Heroes was on VHS with burned in subtitles back in the 90's...

• Like 3

Shaolin Patriot
On 1/23/2021 at 4:52 PM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Quote from member @Spannick on Facebook.

"stone age PAL 25fps upscaled from SD version, with PAL pitch audio, and 25fps film speed. Amateurishly deinterlaced with constant ghosting, encoded as fake 24fps Video. Jaggies, horrid pixelation, all shit you would avoid at all cost : you can get here in one package.I would like to reward this piece of crap the: worst Bluray upscale from HK ever. I kid you not. yeah, the audio is 5.1 96khz upsamling superb on paper, but it's just original mono trapped inside."

Sorry to hear of the abysmal treatment of this classic!

• Like 2