Come Drink With Me the most violent?

winehouse

Come Drink With Me on the list of 25 Most Violence Packed Films:

25-Violence-Packed-Films.png

I had to do a double take when I saw that. I guess it is pretty violent throughout. I never suspected it to be in the top 25 though.

Just for fun:

25-Deadliest-Actors.png

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eastern Evil

I don't know man, my memory is in a perpetual fog but I have to think there are plenty of Shaw's more violent than that - off the top of my head, there was some grisly stuff in 'Usurpers of Emperor's Power (Poor Wang Li!).

I've seen so much Shaw colored blood though that I'm probably desensitized to the violence. The Skin Ripping in 'Human Lanterns, the 'spike up the ass' scene in 'A Deadly Secret' - What about Boxer from Shantung & Vengeance?

Lot's of stabbing & stuff in C.D.W.M., but I could probably put that movie at 25th place & fill in all the spots above with other Shaw movies.

Thats just silly . The sequel which i prefer, Golden Swallow is far more violent that the original. Although Come Drink With Me is very well shot by King Hu and influential, i think it drags at times.

Secret Executioner

Haven't seen CDWM, but by far the most violent SB film (and maybe most violent wuxia or MA film) I've seen is The 14 Amazons. Hit me more than films like A Clockwork Orange or The Raid 2.

Killer Meteor

It's interesting how both films feature grusome deaths for little kids who grew up to fame - Ching Siu-tung gets a needle in the eye in Come Drink With Me and Mars slits his stomach open in Golden Swallow

Drunken Arts

Off top of my head i would of said Golden Swallow was more Violent than Come Drink With Me too. But its been a while.

But i guess its the way its done, for example there were tons more movies with more gore and higher body counts than say Reservoir Dogs, but R Dogs got the headlines for the violence/torture because of the way it was done..

On topic of violent Shaws, I just watched The Duel again.. and that films body count and throat slashing was through the roof.. [i need to watch Vengeance again..]

I think i've seen quite a few violent Shaws of late, Masked Avengers, Black Tavern, What Price Honesty & as said above The Duel..

Lady Hermit took me aback at its violence too

Ive got sat here A Cold Taste of Steel to watch, which ive read has a nasty side to it..

Secret Executioner
But i guess its the way its done, for example there were tons more movies with more gore and higher body counts than say Reservoir Dogs, but R Dogs got the headlines for the violence/torture because of the way it was done..

True, many people forget violence may not necessarly mean dozens of people tortured or murdered on screen. It has to do with the way it's done. The shower scene in Psycho is known as one of the scariest/most brutal movie scenes ever, yet it's just someone getting stabbed in a shower and this sounds far less brutal than what goes on in other movies with people getting eaten (sometimes alive), murdered in horrible manners, tortured.... But the scene's cinematography gives it its edge.

masterofoneinchpunch
Thats just silly . The sequel which i prefer, Golden Swallow is far more violent that the original. Although Come Drink With Me is very well shot by King Hu and influential, i think it drags at times.

I definitely agree with this (except for part about Come Drink With Me drags.) I would also add Delightful Forest is more violent, the one scene in The Heroic Ones is more violent then the whole film (poor David Chiang, he has a lot of blood though) and pretty much every film by Chang Cheh.

Note: I'm not getting the images to come through.

And all the One-armed swordsman movies ? They are violent too and it seems to me that they were more violent than Come drink with me, but as I watched all these ones a long while ago, I may be mistaken...

Vengeance and The duel are placed before Come drink with me, too...

Secret Executioner
I definitely agree with this (except for part about Come Drink With Me drags.) I would also add Delightful Forest is more violent, the one scene in The Heroic Ones is more violent then the whole film (poor David Chiang, he has a lot of blood though) and pretty much every film by Chang Cheh.

Note: I'm not getting the images to come through.

Some (actually most it seems) Chang Cheh movies end up in a bloodshed, but sometimes, the effects like switching to black and white or the infamous red filter tone down the violence of a scene - I found the switch to B&W actually made some scenes (like in Men From The Monastery) more powerful, but in an emotional way (it felt more tragic).

And don't you spoil me on The Heroic Ones, I have the IVL DVD in my "to watch" DVD pile. :tongue:

masterofoneinchpunch
Some (actually most it seems) Chang Cheh movies end up in a bloodshed, but sometimes, the effects like switching to black and white or the infamous red filter tone down the violence of a scene - I found the switch to B&W actually made some scenes (like in Men From The Monastery) more powerful, but in an emotional way (it felt more tragic).

And don't you spoil me on The Heroic Ones, I have the IVL DVD in my "to watch" DVD pile. :tongue:

yeah seriously after watching several Cheh films in a row I start wondering if there was something wrong with him :D. Arm decapitation here, stepping on own intestines there, hundreds of dead bodies, impalements, and you start wondering what the total body count of all the Chang Cheh films are. I do think he is an underrated filmmaker in general (not here, but elsewhere where many critics know only a few HK filmmakers.)

Killer Meteor
yeah seriously after watching several Cheh films in a row I start wondering if there was something wrong with him :D. Arm decapitation here, stepping on own intestines there, hundreds of dead bodies, impalements, and you start wondering what the total body count of all the Chang Cheh films are. I do think he is an underrated filmmaker in general (not here, but elsewhere where many critics know only a few HK filmmakers.)

I think he had a St Sebastian fetish - naked male torsos done great harm to. Or maybe his wife did, and he just went along with it!

As masterofoneinchpunch said "you start wondering what the total body count of all the Chang Cheh films are.", surely theres someone on here wanting to take up this challenge :tongue: lol

But seriously, i think it would be a scary number of deaths in his films

Once did bodycount for Heroic Ones; 612... which means if Imdb's right with the running time of 117 mins (too lazy to check properly), it would be first on that list at 5.23 deaths per min...

Chang Cheh smashes it.

masterofoneinchpunch
I think he had a St Sebastian fetish - naked male torsos done great harm to. Or maybe his wife did, and he just went along with it!

I thought of writing that about St. Sebastian. Chang glorified the male image, especially in contrast to the previous period of less-than-masculine male characters in HK cinema. But as you stated he also liked to harm them as well.

Yukio Mishima (the Japanese writer, actor, one who committed seppuku) also had a St. Sebastian fetish. Just thought I would throw that in :D.

If I ever write a book on Chang Cheh (and by the time I'm done with him, maybe I'll try) you better believe Guido Reni's Saint Sebastian (the Palazzo Rosso one) is going to be my frontispiece. :xd:

350px-Guido_Reni_San_Sebastiano.jpg

NoKUNGFUforYU

I remember telling some crazy girl who had a violent hyper masculine boyfriend that loved kung fu that a lot of the movies seemed a little gay. She said I was being silly . Anyway, not that there's anything wrong with it, but it is funny that it's being discussed now, and critics on Asia were giving change a lot of crap about it at the time I understand now.

Archived