Scooby-Doo questions

Secret Executioner

Secret Executioner

Alright, I'm afraid to admit... I NEVER watched Scooby-Doo cartoons, so I had a few questions:

- which series is the best or the most recommended, since it seems there have been dozens different versions ?

- I found a DVD set called The New Scooby-Doo Movies, which contains episodes of a special series where the Scooby gang teamed with special guests like Batman and Robin, Laurel and Hardy... Is this a good set ? I figured I could get this one at least for some of the special guests.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could start at the beginning with Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! (seasons 1 & 2) and then The Scooby-Doo Show (season 3) which together are considered the three seasons of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!. Right now Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated, is considered the best of the (tv) bunch (original series not withstanding). While alot of the Scooby-Doo tv stuff has been (rightly) derided for years, Mystery Incorporated has gotten nothing but glowing reviews. Still, in order to fully appreciate it, watching at least the first couple seasons might be a good idea, and maybe go to wikipedia and read up on Scrappy-doo and The Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby-Doo! (what do you expect for something that's been around for over 40 years).

For the animated movies, which should be considered separate from the tv shows, Scooby-Doo! On Zombie Island, Scooby-Doo! and the Witch's Ghost, Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders, Scooby-Doo and the Goblin King, and Scooby - Doo! Frankencreepy are all considered good (particularly the first two). I haven't seen any of the (many) others, but I think they're reasonably well regarded though ymmv.

The New Scooby-Doo Movies aren't really a good place to start. They spent all their budget on the guest voices and it really shows in the animation.

Secret Executioner

Guess I'll take a look at the first Scooby seasons then. :smile:

Heard of Scrappy-Doo and the puppy seems to be the worst thing ever in the Scooby-Doo universe. But it seems like at a time, every cartoon show had to have an annoying useless little character - guys like Orko in He-Man, Snarf in Thundercats (Snarf !), Bat-Mite in The New Adventures Of Batman or the Wonder Twins in many Super Friends series are fondly remembered by fans.

Wasn't about the separate animated movies as there are like billions of them. :squigglemouth:

Your comment on the animation of The New Scooby-Doo Movies is kinda funny - I mean, we're talking about a Hanna-Barbera cartoon. :tongue:

Guess I'll take a look at the first Scooby seasons then. :smile:

Heard of Scrappy-Doo and the puppy seems to be the worst thing ever in the Scooby-Doo universe. But it seems like at a time, every cartoon show had to have an annoying useless little character - guys like Orko in He-Man, Snarf in Thundercats (Snarf !), Bat-Mite in The New Adventures Of Batman or the Wonder Twins in many Super Friends series are fondly remembered by fans.

Wasn't about the separate animated movies as there are like billions of them. :squigglemouth:

Yes, Orko, Snarf, the Wonder Twins (let's not forget What's-his-name, Wendy and the Wonder Dog) and Bat-Mite (though he's totally redeemed in Batman: The Brave and the Bold) are all annoying, but only Scrappy-Doo is considered the Anti-Christ.

Your comment on the animation of The New Scooby-Doo Movies is kinda funny - I mean, we're talking about a Hanna-Barbera cartoon. :tongue:

Even by HB standards the animation is shabby.

Secret Executioner
Yes, Orko, Snarf, the Wonder Twins (let's not forget What's-his-name, Wendy and the Wonder Dog) and Bat-Mite (though he's totally redeemed in Batman: The Brave and the Bold) are all annoying, but only Scrappy-Doo is considered the Anti-Christ.

If you want to give a full picture, don't forget that after Marvin, Wendy and Wonder Dog, they had not just the Wonder Twins but also Gleek the space monkey - though to be fair, while originally not a fan, I kinda enjoyed them in The World's Greatest Super Friends.

Bat-Mite kinda ruined the NAOB series according to some. But I agree the version from Batman: The Brave and the Bold is pretty fun - lots of Batman mythos references there.

Scrappy-Doo seems indeed like he's in a league of his own though. I hope he wasn't in the Scooby-Doo segment from The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour as I'm considering getting the DVD for this series along with the Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! series.

And since you mentionned it: the 13 Ghosts series sounds fun, if just for having a guy based on and voiced by Vincent Price. :tongue:

Even by HB standards the animation is shabby.

Ouch... :squigglemouth:

Archived