Still No Bruce Lee Blu Rays for the UK!

shukocarl

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Bro

I got sick of waiting.

The wife bought me a Multi Region Blu Ray player from Amazon for Christmas and I bought the Premiere Collection. All in £182.00.

Blu Rays arrived yesterday. The sound on a "couple" of the dubs isn't "great" but sublime stuff none the less and totally worth the money.

I didn't see the point in getting the Legacy Collection. Pile of useless DVD's of the movies, Bruce Lee The Legend which I have, I Am Bruce Lee which makes my skin crawl and a Special Features disc made up of old special features I've seen 100 times?

Premiere Collection is terrific.

When the Restored & Remastered Bruce Lee film's first came out on DVD in the U.K there was no VHS release's at all. At the time HKL used to release a DVD & VHS edition for all their titles. They could not release the BL films on VHS because someone else held the rights at the time, Universal I think?. Maybe something related to the rights is causing a delay in the films being released on BR in the U.K?.

Killer Meteor
When the Restored & Remastered Bruce Lee film's first came out on DVD in the U.K there was no VHS release's at all. At the time HKL used to release a DVD & VHS edition for all their titles. They cold not release the BL films on VHS because someone else held the rights at the time, Universal I think?. Maybe something related to the rights is causing a delay in the films being released on BR in the U.K?.

From what I can tell, the HKL titles are being released by a new company, but it's likely that company doesn't have Blu-ray rights,

I'm told UK companies are reluctant to license these for blu because Fortune Star is very hard to deal with, and wants companies to buy all the GH stuff, not just the Bruce Lee films.

Don't hold your breath for UK releases.

If you want to see them (on region B) and are not bothered about mono audio then go for the German set, you can pick it up quite cheap.

http://www.amazon.de/Bruce-Lee-Kollektion-Uncut-Blu-ray/dp/B0055IYUYE/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1420400383&sr=1-1&keywords=bruce+lee+blu+ray

If you have a mult-region blu-ray player then your best bet is to get the Premiere Collection by Shout Factory in the USA, this set includes mono tracks and also features the rare rejected English dub for the Big Boss.

http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Premiere-Collection-Dragon-Blu-ray/dp/B00MIA0M5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420400579&sr=8-1&keywords=bruce+lee+premiere+collection

If you want to see them (on region B) and are not bothered about mono audio then go for the German set, you can pick it up quite cheap.

http://www.amazon.de/Bruce-Lee-Kollektion-Uncut-Blu-ray/dp/B0055IYUYE/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1420400383&sr=1-1&keywords=bruce+lee+blu+ray

If you have a mult-region blu-ray player then your best bet is to get the Premiere Collection by Shout Factory in the USA, this set includes mono tracks and also features the rare rejected English dub for the Big Boss.

http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Premiere-Collection-Dragon-Blu-ray/dp/B00MIA0M5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420400579&sr=8-1&keywords=bruce+lee+premiere+collection

I agree 100%

Spoken like a true collector of BL films. :bigsmile:

From what I can tell, the HKL titles are being released by a new company, but it's likely that company doesn't have Blu-ray rights,

I'm told UK companies are reluctant to license these for blu because Fortune Star is very hard to deal with, and wants companies to buy all the GH stuff, not just the Bruce Lee films.

Thank you KillerMeteor.

I guess the U.K company's just want the titles that will sell/make the most profit. Which is maybe why Bruce Lee's film get re-issued on DVD over here so many times. Id prefer to see some rare GH films get the DVD/BR treatment, instead of more BL re-issues. It's not like there is a shortage of BL BR's to choose from if you have a multi-region player that is.

Killer Meteor
Thank you KillerMeteor.

I guess the U.K company's just want the titles that will sell/make the most profit. Which is maybe why Bruce Lee's film get re-issued on DVD over here so many times. Id prefer to see some rare GH films get the DVD/BR treatment, instead more BL re-issues. It's not like there is a shortage of BL BR's to choose from if you have a multi-region player that is.

I expect Fortune Star wants too much, and it does have a bad rep.

I expect Fortune Star wants too much, and it does have a bad rep.

That must have had an impact on the amount of new releases here or elsewhere?. There used to be a nice choice of releases in the U.K at one time. Now I have to pick up 90% of my Asian film purchases online.

looks like they are finally coming. "Mediumrare Entertainment is delighted to announce the acquisation of some of Hong Kong's finest martial arts films to be released through 2015. Plans are still to be ironed out but most of the titles will be restored in high definition from original 35mm masters and will be available in Bluray and limited edition steelbook, these movies will never have looked so good! Some highlights from the newly acquired titles are, Fist of Fury, Game of Death, The Way of the Dragon, The Big Boss, When Taekwondo Strikes, Armour of God, and the infamous Riki-Oh- The Story of Ricky "

http://mediumraregroup.com/news

Straight after I buy a Region Free Blu Ray Player, so I could get the Premiere Collection.

Oh well, will buy these also.

Tigerstyles

Well fook me sideways! I just import them on BD and now some dicks decide to release them well .. good job I didn't hold my breath

Well I ain't buying until I see the goods:ooh:

Mediumrare are releasing Darkman next month and apparently it's got all the extras the Scream Factory disc has.Maybe they've done a deal and we'll get ports of the Shout! discs. i'm region-free and have the Premiere collection and the japanese extreme releases.that's more than enough barring an uncut saw in the head BB :wink:

DragonClaws

When Fist Of Fury was first released on DVD in HK Donnie Yen & Bey Logan did the commentary together. Ive wanted to see that included on one of the U.K/U.S releases for year's.

I honestly thought we'd never see any more of these releases in the UK after the death of Hong Kong Legends and then CineAsia. It's been great to see Terracotta Distribution bringing out a few titles but this is the icing on the cake, hopefully they'll do a brilliant job with the discs and sell loads. :bigsmile:

Killer Meteor

I hope they understand the need for genuine mono, proper HD (no upscales) and getting the colour corrected!

I hope they understand the need for genuine mono, proper HD (no upscales) and getting the colour corrected!

Not a prayer mate. Shout releases.

"I'm willing to bet my life on it!"

Killer Meteor
When Fist Of Fury was first released on DVD in HK Donnie Yen & Bey Logan did the commentary together. Ive wanted to see that included on one of the U.K/U.S releases for year's.

Actually, Donnie did a Cantonese commentary, and Bey did the English one (with Steve Martin joke) which was on the first UK disc.

DragonClaws
Actually, Donnie did a Cantonese commentary, and Bey did the English one (with Steve Martin joke) which was on the first UK disc.

That clears that up:smile:, the Impact review gave the impression they recorded it together.

They both did a commentary for the Hong Kong original DVD release, the HK Legends dvds had 2 different commentaries by Bey Logan for both of there releases, the collectors edition and the Platinum edition.

Let's hope they fix the numerous glitches in audio and colour correct the prints they are given. The Big Boss with the U.S./U.K. dub for the riverside scene, no silly overdubs, correct music for each version etc.

Archived