Actor/Choreographer that became Teachers?

flash

Hello Everyone,

Would anyone know whether the following have opened their hands to teach their martial traditions? And if so, where?

Wong Pei Chi

Tang Chia,

Ku Feng

Yuen Woo Ping and family

Thank you,

flash

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

Considering the Yuen clan were never really martial artists, I doubt any of them would open any kind of school, unless it was some kind of stuntman association. I can't really speak on the others though.

Tong Gaai studied under Yuen Siu Tien if I recall.

Wong Pau Gei might come from an opera background as well, given that he's Tong Gaai's younger brother. Which is not to say that I can confirm that he studied under/with Tong Gaai or the Yuens but it could be possible that he is from that tradition as well.

Hello and thank you for your contributions, so far,

When it comes to the family of Yuen Siu Tien, Yuen Woo Ping made it clear that his father trained them in Chinese martial arts combatives. Even Jackie Chan mentioned that Yuen Siu Tien visited his opera school to teach broadsword usage.

Wong Pei Chi's choreography often features correct weapons hoplology. See: Killer Constable.

Even in the early days of Chinese films you had to know something. The masters were choreographers and sometimes had supportive roles. Or they played major villains as with Shek Kin. There was a strong desire for authenticity and safety. Those that I did inquire about were not dancers (with the possible exception of Ku Feng).

flash

True enough, but Yuen Siu Tien's teachings may have been those most suitable for the stage - perhaps he taught techniques that had useful applications (whether on or off the stage) rather than specific styles for instance.

Tong Gaai mentioned being taught action, somersaults and weaponry. Yuen Woo Ping also referenced boxing and weaponry. He (Yuen) mentioned that his father taught him and his brothers the full breadth of the Northern arts Yuen Siu Tien was experienced in but didn't specify if it was everything as opposed to just elements that would have translated well to the stage.

Fen Juhua, one of the original action heroines, came from an Opera background and after her film career, opened up her own academy. She is the mentor of the following:

-Lam Ching-Ying

-Stephen Tung Wai

-Connie Chan Po-Chu

-John Lone

-Chung Fa

-Chin Yuet-Sang (I think he was, I could be wrong)

I think Ridley Tsui was one of her last students, but I could be wrong

Archived